Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergal D'Arcy to get daily show on Today FM

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭badgersbelief

Fergal D'Arcy and Louise Duffy are swapping slots from July onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Synode wrote: »

^ posted 20/05/2016
    Fergal D'Arcy and Louise Duffy are swapping slots from July onwards

Its almost like someone told us this a week ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Anorak34c wrote: »
    Foley was 2 and a half years on nights before moving to lunchtime.

Yeah, i enjoyed Foley when he was on, but some seemed it was a climbdown from a national to local station, but he said he always wanted a 'breakfast slot'

I don't know if he had Muireann O Connell on mornings, but the two are good craic on Fri's 7 o Clock show, as normally it was a different couple some Fri's but look like they're sticking with these two, bad news for Anton+Mairead:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

This guy is seriously insufferable... How is this thread not huge? Is it me that's wrong?!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

SQ2 wrote: »
    This guy is seriously insufferable... How is this thread not huge? Is it me that's wrong?!

No you're not. At all. Intolerable in the extreme. Switched off only to be berated by those who fill the atmosphere in work with this putrid toxin. Reflective of policy and practise at an ailing brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

SQ2 wrote: »

there are a lot of these type of folk who have been elevated to national radio, namely 2fm and today fm, in the past 5 to 10 years. it needs to stop.

He is covering for my beloved Louise today

Trust me, this thread will be a lot bigger once he takes her slot permanently next month.

Or you never know, people might take to him. Afterall, there are people who like Dermot & Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

gimmick wrote: »
    He is covering for my beloved Louise today

Trust me, this thread will be a lot bigger once he takes her slot permanently next month.

Or you never know, people might take to him. Afterall, there are people who like Dermot & Dave.

Already have him turned off.

He sounds like a generic Dj Robot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

There was a time i would have listened to today fm all day up to 4.30 at least,now rarely listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

I've listened to Today FM for the best part of 20 years and have pretty much found it excellent (IMO) most of the time, even after 4.30.
    For me, it was around the time when Foley (Not because of him going, but in and around that time) moved shop it all began flittering dramatically. D&D I actually do enjoy, and I like Louise's approach most of the time, and Anton I can take or leave, but WTF is this lad at?
    I know they're probably trying to keep the station to a certain age profile, but is this what the kids are down with... seriously?! His formula appears to be machine gun laugh after every sentence, and repeat ad nauseam.
    Even when there's a mediocre DJ playing in-between 2 slots you might like, you could still leave it on due to being too lazy to change, but I'm not able to do that here at all!
    Today FM's shuffling had the happy flip side of pushing me towards TXFM, but that's going to the can as well now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Matt Cooper from 4:30 and Off the Ball from 7. Had the misfortune of listening to him one and wasn't impressed. I might stumble across him more now that his show is moving. Bleugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

threein99 wrote: »
    Already have him turned off.

He sounds like a generic Dj Robot

In his I radio days he was terrible and the quality of presenting on that station is so poor.no suprise it's carried through but there has to be better out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

How difficult is it to be a decent DJ on a music station.

Surely you just say and he're the latest track from "Insert Artist Here" and press play and just do it over and over.

Who in the radio industry decided that DJ's (Disk Jockeys) actually had to try and be personalities and they couldn't just play songs over an over again (which I think is maybe what most people want).

Larry Gogan used to be a pleasure to listen to simply because he just provided a little info about the song and then played the song and didn't try to do anything more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Agree with the above, I'm sure alot now see themselves more as broadcasters rather than disk jockeys with a passion for music in the original sense of the word.

A particular trait that winds me up is when some ignorant comment is passed on a band/singer that reveals a lack of interest or planning, basically the opposite of what Larry Gogan would do.

An example that comes to mind would be informing us that Idris Elba features on 'Danceoff' with Maclemore with was 'odd as Idris Elba is not known for music' when this isn't the case, I'm not even that into these things but had picked up somewhere that hes a fairly successful dj himself.
    This is just an example, I don't expect people to know everything about everything but why bother passing a comment like that at all?

You can tell sometimes their lack of interest in music when they cut off or talk over the end of songs, I get that they may need to get the news on the hour, but to do it just to read out some texts from listeners?!?! The drive time show on 2fm has done this a few times I've heard.

Martin Gilfoil (sp?) on Spin South West seems knowledgable on his music tho and I think it shines through, even though his show is a more typical morning show than say an in depth indie music show.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Agree with the above, I'm sure alot now see themselves more as broadcasters rather than disk jockeys with a passion for music in the original sense of the word.

A particular trait that winds me up is when some ignorant comment is passed on a band/singer that reveals a lack of interest or planning, basically the opposite of what Larry Gogan would do.

An example that comes to mind would be informing us that Idris Elba features on 'Danceoff' with Maclemore with was 'odd as Idris Elba is not known for music' when this isn't the case, I'm not even that into these things but had picked up somewhere that hes a fairly successful dj himself.
    This is just an example, I don't expect people to know everything about everything but why bother passing a comment like that at all?

You can tell sometimes their lack of interest in music when they cut off or talk over the end of songs, I get that they may need to get the news on the hour, but to do it just to read out some texts from listeners?!?! The drive time show on 2fm has done this a few times I've heard.

Martin Gilfoil (sp?) on Spin South West seems knowledgable on his music tho and I think it shines through, even though his show is a more typical morning show than say an in depth indie music show.

Martin Guilfoyle is excellent. He produces music himself so he has a fair idea of what he's talking about. Darren Rice in Beat is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

As much as a person can be a 'fan' of a radio station, I'm a fan of today FM. Ian Dempsey, I can miss but Anton Savage, Dermot & Dave are both excellent. Add to that the likes of Paul McLoone, Ed Smith, Kelly Anne Byrne and Alison Curtis I honestly think that they have the best lineup on radio.

BUT, then they bring in this fellah. Jesus, he is absolutely terrible. Where did they dig him up from? Maybe if he just shut up and played music he'd be better but he's definitely up there with one of the most annoying people on Irish radio.

That's me tuned to a different channel every day. Hopefully the ratings drop and he is moved onto a graveyard slot soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

The PPI award nominations include Mr. D'Arcy on the double. Ah for the great days of Irish Radio. Where are ye gone?

Aren't the PPIs self nominated?

Advertisement