Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repeat Leaving cert advice

• 19-08-2015 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

So I have decided I am going to repeat,I did 7 subjects last year,I did English(0L),Irish,Maths,Spanish,Geography(HL),History(OL) and Religion(OL).

I need two new subjects,I have decided Im going to do English,History,Geography and religion.

Does anybody have any other advice on two new subjects? I was thinking Business,economic,accounting,physics,biology,chemistry?

Which of these subjects would anybody recommend,I would be looking for a HC3 in them at least.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why do you need new subjects? Would it not be much less work to build on subjects you have already spent two years studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thisyear15

I'm also repeating this year.
    I'd advice you to do biology but just be aware that there's a lot of work that needs to go into it.
    where are you thinking of repeating?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kcera

spurious wrote: »
    Why do you need new subjects? Would it not be much less work to build on subjects you have already spent two years studying?

Dropping Maths and Irish because I did ordinary level and just don't like them,I worked really hard this year and I think I achieved the best possible grade,A C1 in Maths and C3 in irish.

I also be doing HL english,Religion and history.I did them all at ordinary level last year..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A great deal of writing in History and Geography, but project/essay work in both, which helps. Will you be in a school with access to a teacher to sign off on your practical work?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    A great deal of writing in History and Geography, but project/essay work in both, which helps. Will you be in a school with access to a teacher to sign off on your practical work?

Yes got accepted into repeat leaving cert class(a public school)
    Really love doing the projects especially in history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

kcera wrote: »
    So I have decided I am going to repeat,I did 7 subjects last year,I did English(0L),Irish,Maths,Spanish,Geography(HL),History(OL) and Religion(OL).

I need two new subjects,I have decided Im going to do English,History,Geography and religion.

Does anybody have any other advice on two new subjects? I was thinking Business,economic,accounting,physics,biology,chemistry?

Which of these subjects would anybody recommend,I would be looking for a HC3 in them at least.

I would recommend business, it's a very worthwhile subject and practical. I'm going into 6th year now not as a repeat, but if I could go back I would drop biology, there is an incredible amount of work learning wise to do. You have to learn nearly a chapter a night! I have decided I won't be counting it as I'm doing8 subjects.
    I didn't do economics but I wish I did. It is meant to be similar to business, I know some things are the same. Good luck with it :)

I would recommend business, it's a very worthwhile subject and practical. I'm going into 6th year now not as a repeat, but if I could go back I would drop biology, there is an incredible amount of work learning wise to do. You have to learn nearly a chapter a night! I have decided I won't be counting it as I'm doing8 subjects.
    I didn't do economics but I wish I did. It is meant to be similar to business, I know some things are the same. Good luck with it :)

Yes I think I will do business!

So the subjects I am going to do are:

English(HL)-C2(65)
    Irish(OL)-C1(30)
    Maths(OL)-B2(40)
    Geography(HL)-B2(80)
    History(HL)-C1(70)
    Religion(HL)-C1(70)
    Business(HL)-A new subject-Maybe a C3(60)

So thats 385 Points,Although I would Love to break 400!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paddythe goat

try pearse college..under dublin city vec.....on clogher road crumlin.....close to national stadium on south circular road,,,,,they do a one year repeat course in most subjects.............or some may opt for two year course..mornings only................like all study.....if you do the work daily for full 25 weeks..you will emerge with top marks..if you act the wally....miss classes............go on breaks during very short year....you will get results you deserve......school year is very very short.................

pearse starts 21.09..............midterm one month away.....then 6 weeks to christmas............2016....mocks in feb....easter this year in march/////////////last term april and may........vital.................. make a phone call to them asap..or go on their web site now....and send email....then call in asap.............bring old results..passport....driving licence....medical card....and you are on your bike...............few places left i am told.......rush now.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement