Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modify Insurance/NCT disc?

Options
  • 19-08-2015 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey there,

I recently purchased stickers for my windscreen to display tax, nct and insurance. The problem is that they are all round and only my tax disc fits into it.

Question: Can I cut out the borders of my NCT, Insurance disc so it fits into the disc holder? I just want to cut out the spaces which contain no information about my car, policy etc.

Or is there a law that discs have to be square etc?

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

johnymst wrote: »
    Or is there a law that discs have to be square etc?

I wish there was, just so such an oxymoron could be quoted as actual law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The green strip on insurance is incredibly important for some reason, and must be displayed. I'm serious. Not sure if it comes from a time when only Warren buffett types could afford colour printers/photocopiers or what...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 johnymst

not getting away with cutting it so... What a stupid idea to have such big discs blocking your view and looking ugly. Not talking about some poor feckers who need L plates and now N plates aswell on the same car in some situations...

Ireland being 20 years behind the world again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Where did you buy that disc holder? Any I have bought over the years all have 2 square (insurance and NCT) and 1 round (tax) holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

johnymst wrote: »
    not getting away with cutting it so... What a stupid idea to have such big discs blocking your view and looking ugly. Not talking about some poor feckers who need L plates and now N plates aswell on the same car in some situations...

Ireland being 20 years behind the world again lol

I've mine in the bottom left corner of the screen, same as every other car in my family, and can safely say that they have never blocked my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

bazz26 wrote: »
    Where did you buy that disc holder? Any I have bought over the years all have 2 square (insurance and NCT) and 1 round (tax) holder.

I'd say op is trying to use 3x UK tax "disc" holders for Irish discs "squares"

Imo, they look dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've mine in the bottom left corner of the screen, same as every other car in my family, and can safely say that they have never blocked my view.

You must admit though, that if they were not there, you'd see more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

CiniO wrote: »

I can honestly say I've never been in a position where the space being blocked by the discs has been a problem. Also how will 3 round discs make it easier for you to see out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

More of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

wonski wrote: »
    More of what?

The wiper blade maybe, along with the leading edge of the bonnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, there is such a regulation that defines the shape and size of an insurance disk. I looked it up a few years ago when organising insurance for a motorsport event. The green stripe is covered there also.

For the NCT, IIRC its an offence to tamper or alter an NCT disk also, but I didn't find that regulation.

Most cars are designed to provide optimal view through front window. Designers didn't assume someone will be sticking something on it.
    While it's not a big area, but place where discs are creates unneceserily another blind spot.
    Also having L on N plate on a front window is completely daft idea. This creates massive blind spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Also having L on N plate on a front window is completely daft idea. This creates massive blind spot.

You can get magnetic plates that stick onto the body, these would be much better.

As for N plates, can the RSA not come up with something better, like sticking up for motorists in the face of rising everything in motoring and then closing off complete roads.

TallGlass wrote: »
    You can get magnetic plates that stick onto the body, these would be much better.
    Exactly, but you can barely see anyone using them.
    Most people just stick them on a windows (front and rear). This should be illegal.
    I never used L or N plates myself, but if I had to I would definitely not put them on a window

And discs (insurance, tax, NCT) if we really need them they should be in tiny format and sticked to a number plate like they do in most places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Why we can't have small stickers like most other civilized countries is beyond me.

Instead we have unecessarily big square pieces of paper that for some unblievably strange reason everyone refers to as "discs".

Im surprised they don't make your stick your fecking Driving Licence to the windscreen and refer to it as a "disc" as well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Better view of your bonnet maybe..

Op, fold the corners instead of cutting, then as long as the details are on view, you'd have to get a right jobsworth to cause you trouble, but you could just unfold them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Patww79 wrote: »
    What we have discs for at all when we have registration plates is beyond me anyway.

Legacy from a time when none of the systems were integrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Legacy from a time when none of the systems were integrated.

There's no need to discs anymore in windows, Garda checkpoints should be 4/5 Garda letting ANPR do the work on the disc's front while Garda check licenses etc.. Paid enough for the pheking system might aswell automate checkpoints.

The only real reason I can see the disc been used is for nosy neighbors. But then again most of it can be forged quite easily to make the eye look like its genuine only when your up close can you see its not.

They should do motoring classes in secondary school so when you leave you have a full license, most jobs require it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

ianobrien wrote: »
    The wiper blade maybe, along with the leading edge of the bonnet.

I don't really need to see the wiper blade or an edge of the bonnet.

The above obscure my view, too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They should do motoring classes in secondary school so when you leave you have a full license, most jobs require it now.

While your right that motoring classes should be done in school most jobs do not require that you have a license, not even close. Employers in general don't give a crap how you get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Only if your a plane spotter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

If you feel that disc holders are in the way, then you could always be one of them "cool shams" and turn it on its side, going up the length of the window (looks so stupid)

I see some people put them on the top left as opposed to the bottom - a solution to the massive inconvenience they are at the bottom left....

The holder in one of my cars is a tad too high (bottom left), doesn't obscure my vision or anything. But I'm a neat freak, and if I was to replace it, it wouldn't match the dealer stamp on the back window (I'd only be able to get an fbd or autoglass holder, I've even seen padre pio holders in shops!). That wouldn't do at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Jaysus lads it looks like the motors forum has officially run out of things to complain about.

Anybody that has a complaint about the squareness of insurance discs, or vision impairment because of them (I couldn't see him, Gard, what with the six inch square bit of paper in the bottom left hand corner of de windscreen impairing me vision) has little enough to be worrying about

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Most cars are designed to provide optimal view through front window. Designers didn't assume someone will be sticking something on it.
    While it's not a big area, but place where discs are creates unneceserily another blind spot.

Plenty of cars on the road which are designed for optimal looks not view. Why else would there be huge A pillars, which do block huge parts of the road, and they must think some cars only go forward as there is zero view to the back in some.

When I'm driving I look where I'm going, the bit of the road blocked is where I've been. Even turning left it's still where I've been so if I didn't have the stupid discs on the window it would make no difference as I'd have already driven into whatever was there.

The bigger danger is the amount of people who drive with their sat nav or phone directly below the rear view mirror, they have created huge blind spots yet no one ever gets done.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

Exactly, but you can barely see anyone using them.
    Most people just stick them on a windows (front and rear). This should be illegal.
    I never used L or N plates myself, but if I had to I would definitely not put them on a window

You barely see anyone using them because they're pretty useless unfortunately. They tend to come off the car if driving any way fast, unless you use something sticky also. They're also not particularly practical as most cars dont have suitable flat areas on the bodywork front & back to place them.
    I think the very top corners of the windows are grand for the plates, never had any issue with them blocking anything other than a bit of sky..

Advertisement