Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cooking & Baking Thread

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Bumping this as I'm thinking of baking something on the weekend... any suggestions on something festive I can get some practice in on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Loughc wrote: »
    Bumping this as I'm thinking of baking something on the weekend... any suggestions on something festive I can get some practice in on?

Festive cupcakes? https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/christmas-cupcake

You'll never have trouble finding people to taste cupcakes for you. :)

I'm getting excited thinking about making my cake. I'm gonna hold off for a month though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've already made mine!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Just starting ours. We make two for us and one for a sibling who is convinced they can't make a Christmas cake��

Recipe is ancient and I've made it every year for past 30 years and we love it and christmas��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Anyone ever made a gluten free Christmas cake before?

How did it turn out and what recipe or site did you use?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Slattsy wrote: »

Cheers

I make 2 every year since diagnosis and no one can ever tell they’re gluten free! I have 2 of my own recripes, let me try to find them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Slattsy wrote: »

Cheers

110g glace cherries

50g chopped almonds

350g sultanas

350g raisins

350g currants

275 ground almonds

110g candied peel

Grated rind of 1 lemon

Grated rind of 1 orange

60ml Irish whiskey

225b butter

225g soft brown sugar

6 eggs

1 tsp gf ground mixed spice

110g rice flur

2 tsps xantham gum

1 large bramley apple

23cm round tin/20 cm square tin

1. Line the tin with greaseproof paper

2. Wash and dry cherries. Cut in half. Place in mixing bowl, add chopped almonds, candied peel, dried fruit, grated rind of lemon and orange and 50g ground almonds. Add half of the whiskey and leave to macerate for 1 hour.

3. Preheat oven to 180 degrees

4. Cream butter until soft, add sugar and beat until light and fluff. Whisk eggs and add to butter bit by bit, beating well between each addition.

5. Mix the spice with remaining ground almonds, rice flour and xanthanm gum. Grate the apple, add to the fruit mix and gently but thoroughly (dont beat or it will toughen the cake)

6. Put mixture into cake tin. Make a slight hollow in the centre, dip your hand in water and pat it over the surface of the cake: ensure smooth top. Lay a sheet of greaseproof paper over top of cake.

7. Cook in oven for 1 hour and then reduce to 160 degrees for further 1- 11/2 hours until cooked.

8. Remove from oven. Leave in tin and pour over remaining whiskey. Remove from tin the following day, wrap in greaseproof paper and aluminium foil until ready to ice.

Second Recipe: heavier more traditional fruit cake

Mix all ingredients together and leave over night. I normally sieve the flour and almonds to give it more air but thats not necessary. Use a 10 inch cake tin (25 cm if round), greased and lined.

Put cake mixture into tin and cook for 5 hours at 140'C, check after 3 hours. I used 2 smaller tins last year and cooking time was about 3 1/2 hours, so always better to check.

Once cook remove from oven, leave to cool on wire tray and when cool cover in grease proof paper and store.

450g Raisins

375g Currants

374g Sultanas

140g Cherries

140g Mixed Peel

100g Chopped Almonds

2 Grated Lemon Rinds

1 Grated Orange Rind

6 Tablespoons Rum/Whiskey

340g Margarine

340g Dark Brown Sugar

425g Triatmyl Flour

Xantham gum - Depends on how heavy you want the cake but a rule of thumb seems to be for every 225g of flour use 1 tsp of xantham gum - I have not tried this myself

1 Teaspoon Mixed Spice

1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg

85g Ground Almonds

7 Large Eggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Great thank you, will certainly give one of those a go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Jude13

Waitrose do a great gluten free pudding and cake. I spotted them one year and insisted we bought them, I had a taste and realised the reason I hated them wasn't that they made me sick as a kid it was that I just dont like them. Everyone else loved them.

I do a very simple rice crispy christmas tree which I posted on here before (here being the Chirstmas forum)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Think I'll try make my puddings next weekend! Am hoping to trade with my dad for a Christmas Cake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jude13 wrote: »
    Waitrose do a great gluten free pudding and cake. I spotted them one year and insisted we bought them, I had a taste and realised the reason I hated them wasn't that they made me sick as a kid it was that I just dont like them. Everyone else loved them.

I do a very simple rice crispy christmas tree which I posted on here before (here being the Chirstmas forum)

And thank you for reminding me of that tree, because I said last year I wanted to do one this year but I forgot. :P

And also it reminded me of this video where they make a giant rice krispie tree and honestly it's made my day much, much better. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Jude13

Holy moly, we struggled to eat the way way smaller version we did and that one was just made on baking paper with smaller sections each time stacked on top of eachother, not a solid rocket type thing like that, how would you eat it?

I am in two minds of showing my daughter that, she will think its class but may actually want to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah you really need a few people to eat the smaller one. It’s a lot richer than you’d think. That huge one is a bit much!

It’s a fab cold morning out there this morning. A nice break from the muggy weather we’ve been having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

I've always wanted to make christmas cookie trees, doubt they would turn out as pretty as I envision.

d631c28829478f3b9d893d27adb612df.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I knew we had a christmas food thread somewhere here :pac: :p

Planning my meals as we have guests over this year. Can I ask if anyone here makes their own pigs in a blanket ( I just love saying that lol :p )
    Or do you go store bought ? And if so any recommendations for household favourites !

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Would it be too late for me to make mincemeat and have a go at making Christmas cake (gluten free)- thanks to Slattsy for asking and RentDayBlues for posting the recipe! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Should I feed a Christmas pudding? Just made one for the first time in decades and honestly can't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Should I feed a Christmas pudding? Just made one for the first time in decades and honestly can't remember.

I don't think you have to, but I generally do!

Advertisement