Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Junkie City"

Options
  • 19-08-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Recent Headline on News and Star describes Waterford City . Is it Sensationalist Nonsense or Fair Comment?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Better junkie city than stab city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Junkie maybe.

City? Naaaah

Recent Headline on News and Star describes Waterford City . Is it Sensationalist Nonsense or Fair Comment?

No its not sensationalist unfortunately. There is so many junkies around begging and pestering people around town. There is used needles everywhere around town its disgusting. If some people here say its not sensationalist Im assuming these people aren't in around town much.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Better junkie city than stab city.

Unfortunately with junkies there are going to be dealers to make money off these people and that is when the stabbings start.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

so what is going to be done about it and what should be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

There is used needles everywhere around town

EVERYWHERE????

Now thats an exaggeration.

EVERYWHERE????

Now thats an exaggeration.

Living in town I see it all to often unfortunately. Horrible sight to see, obviously when I said everywhere I was making a point and I didn't mean that people had to swim in them to get home from work.

There is an awful lot of it going on in my street. Horrible horrible drug and turns people into zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

So,, I would say that its limited to a few streets then?

So,, I would say that its limited to a few streets then?

I live near enough to centre of town. In the city as in the actual centre its very all over the place at night (even though its kept away from the nightclub area). Like just last night on my street there was two junkies fighting a man and a woman and they were tearing chunks out of each other, before anyone says how do I know they aren't drunks? because they live about 20 doors up and are always whacked out of it.

In the sense is it limited to a few streets? Yes, I would say that if you are out living on the Dunmore road or a suburb like that then you are less likely to notice it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Yes Waterford city has a drug problem like all urban areas but this article is complete sensationalist exaggeration with nothing more behind it than a desire to sell papers. I don’t think it is even worthy of discussion or deserves anymore highlighting and in my opinion this thread should be locked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Sensationalist....Every city in this country is plagued with junkies. It is unfortunate but that's the way things are these days i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Get yourself and your local community to bombard their local TD's and maybe, just maybe something will be done. Without doing this, nothing will happen, it will just continue to be a problem. No time for laziness.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

obezyana wrote: »
    Sensationalist....Every city in this country is plagued with junkies. It is unfortunate but that's the way things are these days i suppose.

What was "Sensationalist" about the article?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Aquos76 wrote: »
    What was "Sensationalist" about the article?

Who said anything about the article. The question was asked was the headline sensationalist.

obezyana wrote: »
    Who said anything about the article. The question was asked was the headline sensationalist.

Fair enough, was just checking cause I thought the article was actually very good.

actually BBM77 said the article was "sensationalist" I'd be curious to know why he thought that. I don't buy his argument that it was a case of selling more papers.

Get yourself and your local community to bombard their local TD's and maybe, just maybe something will be done. Without doing this, nothing will happen, it will just continue to be a problem. No time for laziness.

I have and do. There isn't much they can do really, they say they will say it to the guards etc but nothing will be done. I call the guards a few times cause of their activities and all they do is chase them off but they are back around again the next day. Not much the guards can do either really, I don't have a bad word about the guards when I let them know if anything is happening generally they are here quick enough lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

I'm quite central to the town too, and have seen needles left in the park, along the river walk way by tkmaxx and by bishops palace, I never noticed them until I was walking my dog and unfortunately he finds everything.
    I think it must of been the night for madness last night.
    There were a couple outside mine too who decided to argue up and down the street for couple of hours and of course they took the dog out with them just for the hell of it ! Totally off there heads early hours of the morning.

I'm quite central to the town too, and have seen needles left in the park, along the river walk way by tkmaxx and by bishops palace, I never noticed them until I was walking my dog and unfortunately he finds everything.
    I think it must of been the night for madness last night.
    There were a couple outside mine too who decided to argue up and down the street for couple of hours and of course they took the dog out with them just for the hell of it ! Totally off there heads early hours of the morning.

We live very close then cause I saw that happen also, 4am in the rain with the dog howling and those two roaring at each other? Across from the playground?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

We live very close then cause I saw that happen also, 4am in the rain with the dog howling and those two roaring at each other? Across from the playground?

That's it yes, how delightful a night /morning that was !

That's it yes, how delightful a night /morning that was !

Haha you living around there long? That is quite compared to some nights :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Not near the level of the bad parts of Dublin tbh. Definite heroin problem but as someone said you name a city that doesn't have a heroin problem. Obviously some people argue that Waterford doesn't actually have a city but for arguments sake we'll say it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

Not near the level of the bad parts of Dublin tbh. Definite heroin problem but as someone said you name a city that doesn't have a heroin problem. Obviously some people argue that Waterford doesn't actually have a city but for arguments sake we'll say it does.

could literally name hundreds.or irish cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

could literally name hundreds.or irish cities?

There aren't a hundred cities in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Fair enough, was just checking cause I thought the article was actually very good.

actually BBM77 said the article was "sensationalist" I'd be curious to know why he thought that. I don't buy his argument that it was a case of selling more papers.

Like I said I don’t think this article or headline is even worthy of discussion or deserves anymore highlighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

What amazes me is that its pretty recent, Dublin had major problems in the 80's and its taken about 30 years for it to spread to rural towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Not there yet but if we hosted an episode of the walking dead we would nearly have enough of ready to go extras..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

What amazes me is that its pretty recent, Dublin had major problems in the 80's and its taken about 30 years for it to spread to rural towns.

Its back with a bang in Dublin, and I am sure filtering down from there. You see it more in certain places but its all over the city. The Luas is a great "free" transport for them to get around.

Its cheap, plentiful and wildly available the last number of years, a knock on effect of the economy over that time. Same thing as in the 80s, when joblessness went up so did the number of junkies. With available cash so goes the drugs of choice, heroin being much cheaper than say cocaine which was big during the Celtic Tiger days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

There aren't a hundred cities in Ireland.

yepp hence the "or irish cities?"

BBM77 wrote: »
    Like I said I don’t think this article or headline is even worthy of discussion or deserves anymore highlighting.

Stupid answer tbh, you'd prefer if it was just ignored then, go back to burying your head in the sand then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Quite a few times i have seen people shooting up inside the trains in front of railway square at night and then earlier in the evening you have all the little scum bags sitting in the trains smoking magic grass and drinking.

If it was me i would get rid of them trains as there seems to be none stop anti social crap going on there.

Advertisement