Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Junkie City"

Options

Comments

Quite a few times i have seen people shooting up inside the trains in front of railway square at night and then earlier in the evening you have all the little scum bags sitting in the trains smoking magic grass and drinking.

If it was me i would get rid of them trains as there seems to be none stop anti social crap going on there.

Yeah, I see people pissing/shooting up/drinking/smoking in those trains/playground and then the next morning I see people letting their kids play in that playground :( People who are letting their children play in the playground in railway square need to be very careful a child doesn't accidentally prick themselves on a needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

yepp hence the "or irish cities?"

Didn't understand what you were saying there. Ok name all these cities!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Stupid answer tbh, you'd prefer if it was just ignored then, go back to burying your head in the sand then.

If you care to read my first post I acknowledged that Waterford has a drug problem like all urban areas how is that ignoring it. If anybody thinks this headline/article was not about attention seeking to increase sales is naive in the extreme. I have no problem at all with discussing Waterford’s drug problem but splashing a headline across a local paper calling Waterford a junkie city is extremely irresponsible and damaging. Given the context that (a) it is untrue and the problem in question is no worse than any other urban area in the country and most importantly (b) the work being done to attract investment into the city and the false impression the headline/article gives to people not familiar with the Waterford. For those reasons I believe it is not worthy of discussion or deserves anymore highlighting.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You said that the whole article was sensationalist, I can't agree with you on that, yes I do agree that the headline was ott, but the reporting in the article was clearly well researched and obviously had the input from people directly affected by what's rapidly becoming a huge problem in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

BBM77 wrote: »
    If you care to read my first post I acknowledged that Waterford has a drug problem like all urban areas how is that ignoring it. If anybody thinks this headline/article was not about attention seeking to increase sales is naive in the extreme. I have no problem at all with discussing Waterford’s drug problem but splashing a headline across a local paper calling Waterford a junkie city is extremely irresponsible and damaging. Given the context that (a) it is untrue and the problem in question is no worse than any other urban area in the country and most importantly (b) the work being done to attract investment into the city and the false impression the headline/article gives to people not familiar with the Waterford. For those reasons I believe it is not worthy of discussion or deserves anymore highlighting.

So, what you're saying is that newspapers should never print anything negative, regardless of truth, in case it affects future investment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I have been to Waterford lovely city, proud history. Shame nobody affords it any time. All the other cities are treated like cities Waterford is just left be, that will be bad for the local economy and lets hope the inhabitants will be able to reignite the city. Lets not forget along with Dublin and Limerick we were all founded by Vikings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    I have been to Waterford lovely city, proud history. Shame nobody affords it any time. All the other cities are treated like cities Waterford is just left be, that will be bad for the local economy and lets hope the inhabitants will be able to reignite the city. Lets not forget along with Dublin and Limerick we were all founded by Vikings.

I find also too many people forget the fantastic mountains and beaches we have, beautiful Waterford Imagery fb page is a fantastic resource for sites around the county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Shams wrote: »
    I find also too many people forget the fantastic mountains and beaches we have, beautiful Waterford Imagery fb page is a fantastic resource for sites around the county

Waterford is a hole with little or no advertising of attractions outside the city or means of transport to any particular destination outside of the city. The emphasis appears to be on keeping the tourist in the city without seeing the rest of the county. What bus will bring you to Mt. Congreve or Bunmahon for example? City is filthy and is a poor reflection on us all. More beggars than tourists at this stage.

As for that FB page, their photography does more harm than good!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Describing Waterford as a "Hole" is very harsh, yes the city has its faults, but a lot of good initiatives are on going to try and turn things around. It's comments like that from people who actually live in the city that do our city more harm that what was on the front of the News & Star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Waterford is a hole with little or no advertising of attractions outside the city or means of transport to any particular destination outside of the city. The emphasis appears to be on keeping the tourist in the city without seeing the rest of the county. What bus will bring you to Mt. Congreve or Bunmahon for example? City is filthy and is a poor reflection on us all. More beggars than tourists at this stage.

As for that FB page, their photography does more harm than good!

Your name belies your fingers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I live near enough to centre of town. In the city as in the actual centre its very all over the place at night (even though its kept away from the nightclub area). Like just last night on my street there was two junkies fighting a man and a woman and they were 'tearing chunks' out of each other, before anyone says how do I know they aren't drunks? because they live about 20 doors up and are always whacked out of it.

In the sense is it limited to a few streets? Yes, I would say that if you are out living on the Dunmore road or a suburb like that then you are less likely to notice it as much.

More exaggeration, did you see parts of ears, nose etc strewn on the street ??

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

If it was me i would get rid of them trains as there seems to be none stop anti social crap going on there.

One of my dreams is to get a good few healthy lads and patrol areas like this in the evenings and provide free "cleaning service" if you know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kaef wrote: »
    One of my dreams is to get a good few healthy lads and patrol areas like this in the evenings and provide free "cleaning service" if you know what i mean.

id say the council would only be delighted. contact them regarding ppe and equipment required. id say theyd give it to you for nothing. save them the bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id say the council would only be delighted. contact them regarding ppe and equipment required. id say theyd give it to you for nothing. save them the bother

I didnt think the council provided ppe for vigilantes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Describing Waterford as a "Hole" is very harsh, yes the city has its faults, but a lot of good initiatives are on going to try and turn things around. It's comments like that from people who actually live in the city that do our city more harm that what was on the front of the News & Star.

It's my city as much as anyone else and it both saddens & sickens me
    to see the state that it's in with nothing been done about it by either the City Council or Waterford Gardai. Surely it's illegal to be begging in the manner in which they do so? What in reality is advertised in Waterford that would bring people here? Don't say mountains and beaches because the world is full of them & some even more spectacular.

In my naivety I would like to think that people come here because maybe they have some Irish heritage and they would like to experience the people and culture. Instead they get Roma/Irish beggars and junkies on the street looking for €2. I had an Aussie ask me last week where could he go to hear traditional Irish music being played!!! What pub if any plays or caters for trad' Irish within our glorious city?

We need a Kerry style mentality of promoting tourism in this county.
    They certainly have it in spades!

In addition! http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2015/0820/20832995-waterford-council-defends-development-of-factory-on-ring-fort-site/

obezyana wrote: »
    I didnt think the council provided ppe for vigilantes :D

ah army surplus it is then

Road-Hog wrote: »
    More exaggeration, did you see parts of ears, nose etc strewn on the street ??

It's an expression :rolleyes:

Why do some people on boards have to be so pedantic, it's so irritating. Obviously bits of ears, nose weren't on the street, are you just browsing boards looking to try and find people to correct people/argue with.

Speaking of town gone to the dogs, I just woke up to the sound of someone doing in Harveys nightclub windows.

I'm quite central to the town too, and have seen needles left in the park, along the river walk way by tkmaxx and by bishops palace, I never noticed them until I was walking my dog and unfortunately he finds everything.
    I think it must of been the night for madness last night.
    There were a couple outside mine too who decided to argue up and down the street for couple of hours and of course they took the dog out with them just for the hell of it ! Totally off there heads early hours of the morning.
    We appear to live on the same street or very close, have you heard the noise all night or if its you keep it down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

We appear to live on the same street or very close, have you heard the noise all night or if its you keep it down :P

No been knocked out with pain killers past few nights, sounds like I picked perfect time to get an abscess ! Seems to be getting worse round here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Here's something me and my old housemate used to always see when living in railway square.

There on millirs marsh you know the car park behind it some load of dodgy stuff used to happen in there at night we used to see cars pull in beside each other for 2 secs and then drive off again.

But one thing ever never got the amount of girls who used to walk home by them selfs trow the car park was nuts on a night out. As that's a huge open space where there is no passing traffic crazy.

I have also seen alasbury getting raided by the garda a few times as well and there student apartments :O.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

kaef wrote: »
    Get the Freewheelers to clean up the town; then write a movie about it.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Get the Freewheelers to clean up the town; then write a movie about it.

I don't know much about the freewheelers but are they much better than the scum who are dealing the drugs? I have heard stories about them before.

edit: I got that you were joking btw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I've lived in Dublin and Dundalk so I hadn't really noticed much of a drug problem here since I returned but now that you mention it I have been asked for money on a few occasions in the past while. And the previous posts about railway square explain a lot. I've seen blood in the area a few times in the past year. I always thought it was probably the result of a drunken fight outside of Ruby's (or whatever it's called now) and the loser had wandered off in that direction to lick their wounds.

Also a girl tried to attack me near the Granary about a year ago. She asked for money and when I ignored her she called me something not very nice. I stupidly turned around out of shock at being called names and she tried to attack me. Thankfully she was only slight girl, so I pushed her away and walked on. I had seen her begging for a while before this around City Square but haven't seen her since. Felt bad for her since she didn't seem very old if discount the effects drug use.

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I've lived in Dublin and Dundalk so I hadn't really noticed much of a drug problem here since I returned but now that you mention it I have been asked for money on a few occasions in the past while. And the previous posts about railway square explain a lot. I've seen blood in the area a few times in the past year. I always thought it was probably the result of a drunken fight outside of Ruby's (or whatever it's called now) and the loser had wandered off in that direction to lick their wounds.

Also a girl tried to attack me near the Granary about a year ago. She asked for money and when I ignored her she called me something not very nice. I stupidly turned around out of shock at being called names and she tried to attack me. Thankfully she was only slight girl, so I pushed her away and walked on. I had seen her begging for a while before this around City Square but haven't seen her since. Felt bad for her since she didn't seem very old if discount the effects drug use.

I had her asking me for a cigarette and for change about three weeks ago (if its the same girl, sounds like it). I have to say normally when I see beggars I am pretty immune to it, but when I see a youngish local girl looking so bad and begging it really hit home with me. Poor girl is probably only early twenties and is in such a bad situation (I'd assume anyway). The drug problem is getting worse.

People can dig their heads in the sand all they want, but is there much support there for them to get help? I don't know much about the help that is available to them but hopefully if they look for help its there for them, if they want to get clean.

The drug problem is getting worse.

People can dig their heads in the sand all they want, but is there much support there for them to get help? I don't know much about the help that is available to them but hopefully if they look for help its there for them, if they want to get clean.

i think this problem is showing a much bigger and systemic failure of our mental health services and other complex failures within our society. if our drug problem is getting worse, which i personally think it is, why is this so, what is causing it and how do we deal with it? all very complex questions with probably even more complex answers. i believe these people are a result of very complex failures from all these problems. i find it very difficult to stomach it all. even though i have very little knowledge of drug addiction, im not sure these people know how to help themselves. its a very worrying development for our society. austerity certainly doesnt help the situation

i think this problem is showing a much bigger and systemic failure of our mental health services and other complex failures within our society. if our drug problem is getting worse, which i personally think it is, why is this so, what is causing it and how do we deal with it? all very complex questions with probably even more complex answers. i believe these people are a result of very complex failures from all these problems. i find it very difficult to stomach it all. even though i have very little knowledge of drug addiction, im not sure these people know how to help themselves. its a very worrying development for our society. austerity certainly doesnt help the situation

I don't think austerity has much to do with this problem to be honest. I would think a lot of the problems in Waterford are down to a certain will known drug/loanshark gang in the city who are flooding the town with drugs. I am not a big fan of Sinn Feinn but John Hearne is doing his best to stop them. They burned out his car last year. There is a very particularly vicious gang in Waterford who control the city at the moment and its scary quite frankly. Thankfully I have nothing to do with that scene and have never got involved with them, but I do know the people and heard stories about them and they are scary people.

I don't think austerity has much to do with this problem to be honest. I would think a lot of the problems in Waterford are down to a certain will known drug/loanshark gang in the city who are flooding the town with drugs. I am not a big fan of Sinn Feinn but John Hearne is doing his best to stop them. They burned out his car last year. There is a very particularly vicious gang in Waterford who control the city at the moment and its scary quite frankly. Thankfully I have nothing to do with that scene and have never got involved with them, but I do know the people and heard stories about them and they are scary people.

id disagree there. you d be shocked at the extent austerity has on a society and how much its actually a cod and completely unnecessary. austerity cuts funding to nearly all aspects of society including, garda resources, mental health services etc etc etc. the list is endless really and its completely avoidable and basically its a total lie. austerity also affects our educational system, social housing departments etc etc. all this basically creates a cluster f*ck of problems for a society. what you ll find is the result of all these problems induces mental health problems into a society, and effectively, opens pandora's box. this mainly effects the most vulnerable of society but really, it affects everybody. mental health problems are also a slow burner, so this problem will probably get worse. your not wrong about the other stuff though, we all know thats a major problem for this town and getting worse. dont forget, anyone of us or our loved ones have the ability to fall foul to these gangs at any stage of our lives. its a worrying problem for this town.

id disagree there. you d be shocked at the extent austerity has on a society and how much its actually a cod and completely unnecessary. austerity cuts funding to nearly all aspects of society including, garda resources, mental health services etc etc etc. the list is endless really and its completely avoidable and basically its a total lie. austerity also affects our educational system, social housing departments etc etc. all this basically creates a cluster f*ck of problems for a society. what you ll find is the result of all these problems induces mental health problems into a society, and effectively, opens pandora's box. this mainly effects the most vulnerable of society but really, it affects everybody. mental health problems are also a slow burner, so this problem will probably get worse. your not wrong about the other stuff though, we all know thats a major problem for this town and getting worse. dont forget, anyone of us or our loved ones have the ability to fall foul to these gangs at any stage of our lives. its a worrying problem for this town.

I know, but what can be done about the gangs? The guards contrary to what most people think are actually doing their job the best they can, the guards arrest them and they are just left out of the courts again. This gang is behind a lot of horrible actions in the past two years but nothing has been fixed, what can get rid of them? There was even an article in News and Star a few weeks ago saying that they were making single mother who owed them money perform sexual favours on them, if they were late with their payments.

• Advertisement

I know, but what can be done about the gangs? The guards contrary to what most people think are actually doing their job the best they can, the guards arrest them and they are just left out of the courts again. This gang is behind a lot of horrible actions in the past two years but nothing has been fixed, what can get rid of them? There was even an article in News and Star a few weeks ago saying that they were making single mother who owed them money perform sexual favours on them, if they were late with their payments.

i think your asking questions that all of us are asking and nobody has really come up with a solution to either. its deeply worrying me. i do think the gardai have a really tough job in general and i respect them a lot for the job they do. without them we d simply dissolve as a society. we need a body to enforce law and to protect us all. there does seem to be a failure in our laws regarding these issues. it must be very frustrating for everybody involved, i.e. gardai, judges, etc, when these criminals just simply get away with these things. ah ive heard of the antics of this gang for a long time now including the sexual elements of it, very disturbing stuff. theres some very vulnerable people out there that are already in the clutches of this gang or almost there. i know some of these people. disturbing stuff, worrying in fact.

Advertisement