Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Junkie City"

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Nite Klub wrote: »
    Thanks for the response LoT. I'll have you know that a while ago in Paris I came across loads of drug users and guess what?...every single one of them was foreign. Not a single one of them was ginger or freckley. I deduced from that maybe all druggies are foreigners and Erin's children are saintly by comparison.

God Bless.

What??? No Scottish people in Paris.....well I never :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I know Ireland's not doing so well at the moment and some immigrants aren't upstanding citizens but a lot who try to come to this country are coming from a far worse situation and deserve some kindness and respect. There's enough xenophobia already, there's no need to bred more.
    There were local lads in my class in primary getting hit by the teacher for writing with their left hand. That was the 1980s so recent enough. How can a country with people like that suddenly welcome these foreigners and integrate with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Nite Klub

obezyana wrote: »
    What??? No Scottish people in Paris.....well I never :D

He he he

I honestly don't think being foreign has anything to do with anything, people are people at the end of the day. Irish people are the ones causing the majority of the trouble around town, so why are people even discussing foreigners on a thread about Waterford being full of drugs?

Because a gang from Lithuania are openly selling drugs in town that's why. Some of these people don't even have a welfare number as they're here for one thing.

• Advertisement

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Because a gang from Lithuania are openly selling drugs in town that's why. Some of these people don't even have a welfare number as they're here for one thing.

There is a gang of Lithanuians selling drugs in town? First I heard of that. What evidence do you have to support that claim?

Get this week's News and Star and read page 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

When I was in my teens, about 14 years old, the Savoy arcade was still open, where Super Macs is now.
    Red square wasn't there, just benches, that area was always full of druggies, more so at the weekends.
    That's back when a few south east clubs were some of the best in Europe, "early 90's article in DJ Mag"
    So with the music comes a culture, and I wouldn't have admitted back then, that does involve drugs.
    They dealt with those issues by removing the sources, the establishments.

There use to be people hanging around there picking out kids to sell them drugs and get them hooked.
    I know that because I was one of the unfortunate kids that fell for it, but to be honest, everyone I knew
    back then was either hooked on drugs or alcohol, or both in many cases, between the ages of 15 to 18.
    The population has grown a lot since, so I think the market has grown too, O'Connell street out of control.
    I grew up around the city, knew the people, drugs are a lot easier for kids to get their hands on now days.

20+ years later I caught one of the same guys trying to push drugs on a family member and their friends.
    But I wasn't the same kid they met 20+ years ago and they went on their way fairly fast, they know their
    time is coming and so do I. The same guy knocked me out when I couldn't pay 20 pound for sharing a joint.

In 2013 I finished another college course on Waterford city, was the oldest out of the whole class, just brushing up
    on my skills and learning something new, I could see the affects of drugs all around me, in the class rooms and outside.
    People snorting cocaine in the morning, the smell of weed all over the place, I can honestly say I didn't touch anything.
    The tutors can't really do anything, they know when a kid is too wasted to get involved in projects, what can you do.

But it's sad because younger kids are able to get this crap as easily as a pack of cigs, everyone knows someone.
    And it has a big impact on your mentality, the way you think and how you interact, a young mind is not fully developed,
    So taking drugs doesn't help your brain's development, you become an idiot, people know when they talk to you, numb to life.
    And you probably won't even get a clue until you're in your 20's/30's and haven't a brain cell left and wondering what happened.

The problem is that it's normal to many people, you know just like someone that has a drink problem, they drink to feel better.
    And it can be a lonely world in most cases.

That's why the hostels are full of misfortunes, people that can't make it on their own, they've messed themselves up so much.
    Or life just wasn't as good to them as it may have been for someone else, when you know the people you can say those things.
    But for the rest, they usually just stay clear, don't want to know about it, just tell everyone that there's a problem and hope it gets fixed right?

Fair play to anyone that trys to help, the Vincent's etc.

I met so many people around the city that are passionate about music, most of them will never get an opportunity to
    do something musical that could benefit them in the future, or just to be involved with people that share the same passions.
    I wish I could bring my music project to life in Waterford City, but funding would be difficult, it wouldn't be for profit really.
    So who wants to invest in something that doesn't make them money.

Youth centers, music clubs etc. they give people something to do, which in a way is cool because those few
    hours can be spent interacting and learning, which might otherwise be spent spaced out of your mind.

Well I don't think it's going to get better, everyone is out to make money of other people's misfortune.
    I think most of these kids are very talented, they're just not able to get a clean start in life.

I see men wondering the streets, I know when someone is hooked on heroin, I knew those kids in school.
    It just makes me think I'm lucky I have a roof over my head tonight, they do too, in the men's hostel.

Sad world, I'd deport most of those foreigners if i was in government, but some people do come here to make a better life.
    The rest take our benefits, stick together and bring in the money, sell drugs on our streets, the police have a tough job.
    I'm thinking there's not as many police as there use to be either, it's not easy to approach some of these scum bags.

I guess I'm trying to say there has always been a drug problem in Waterford, just like every other county.

The city needs a legalized IRA. group, not for violent purposes but to take care of business, help the police, round 'em up, ship 'em out!

Sounds wrote: »
    When I was in my teens, about 14 years old, the Savoy arcade was still open, where Super Macs is now.
    Red square wasn't there, just benches, that area was always full of druggies, more so at the weekends.
    That's back when a few south east clubs were some of the best in Europe, "early 90's article in DJ Mag"
    So with the music comes a culture, and I wouldn't have admitted back then, that does involve drugs.
    They dealt with those issues by removing the sources, the establishments.

There use to be people hanging around there picking out kids to sell them drugs and get them hooked.
    I know that because I was one of the unfortunate kids that fell for it, but to be honest, everyone I knew
    back then was either hooked on drugs or alcohol, or both in many cases, between the ages of 15 to 18.
    The population has grown a lot since, so I think the market has grown too, O'Connell street out of control.
    I grew up around the city, knew the people, drugs are a lot easier for kids to get their hands on now days.

20+ years later I caught one of the same guys trying to push drugs on a family member and their friends.
    But I wasn't the same kid they met 20+ years ago and they went on their way fairly fast, they know their
    time is coming and so do I. The same guy knocked me out when I couldn't pay 20 pound for sharing a joint.

In 2013 I finished another college course on Waterford city, was the oldest out of the whole class, just brushing up
    on my skills and learning something new, I could see the affects of drugs all around me, in the class rooms and outside.
    People snorting cocaine in the morning, the smell of weed all over the place, I can honestly say I didn't touch anything.
    The tutors can't really do anything, they know when a kid is too wasted to get involved in projects, what can you do.

But it's sad because younger kids are able to get this crap as easily as a pack of cigs, everyone knows someone.
    And it has a big impact on your mentality, the way you think and how you interact, a young mind is not fully developed,
    So taking drugs doesn't help your brain's development, you become an idiot, people know when they talk to you, numb to life.
    And you probably won't even get a clue until you're in your 20's/30's and haven't a brain cell left and wondering what happened.

The problem is that it's normal to many people, you know just like someone that has a drink problem, they drink to feel better.
    And it can be a lonely world in most cases.

That's why the hostels are full of misfortunes, people that can't make it on their own, they've messed themselves up so much.
    Or life just wasn't as good to them as it may have been for someone else, when you know the people you can say those things.
    But for the rest, they usually just stay clear, don't want to know about it, just tell everyone that there's a problem and hope it gets fixed right?

Fair play to anyone that trys to help, the Vincent's etc.

I met so many people around the city that are passionate about music, most of them will never get an opportunity to
    do something musical that could benefit them in the future, or just to be involved with people that share the same passions.
    I wish I could bring my music project to life in Waterford City, but funding would be difficult, it wouldn't be for profit really.
    So who wants to invest in something that doesn't make them money.

Youth centers, music clubs etc. they give people something to do, which in a way is cool because those few
    hours can be spent interacting and learning, which might otherwise be spent spaced out of your mind.

Well I don't think it's going to get better, everyone is out to make money of other people's misfortune.
    I think most of these kids are very talented, they're just not able to get a clean start in life.

I see men wondering the streets, I know when someone is hooked on heroin, I knew those kids in school.
    It just makes me think I'm lucky I have a roof over my head tonight, they do too, in the men's hostel.

Sad world, I'd deport most of those foreigners if i was in government, but some people do come here to make a better life.
    The rest take our benefits, stick together and bring in the money, sell drugs on our streets, the police have a tough job.
    I'm thinking there's not as many police as there use to be either, it's not easy to approach some of these scum bags.

The city needs a legalized IRA. group, not for violent purposes but to take care of business, round 'em up, ship 'em out!

I'm in WIT at the moment and I have never seen this drug use you claim. People doing coke in the mornings :eek: Some weed floating about now and again but that is hardly much harm.

EMar Sounds

I'm sure it's not totally free from drugs but anyway, better organised, good college for anyone that wants to learn.
    I mean why would you even put yourself into education and abuse your brain for the entire duration, thankfully I didn't.
    Weed or whatever, they all affect people differently, some people can feel fine, others messed up, better to stay clear.
    Just think it's harder for a young person to stay clear, that's when they need to be getting stuff done that's important.

Really all I'm saying is that there is and always has been drug issues, but not just in waterford City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

just bloody legalise the lot then we can get on with it

EMar Sounds

I'd tend to agree, sort of like Holland did, but you still see junkies and dealers on their streets too.
    It would definitely hurt the suppliers big time if they legalized "it" like when the legal high stores opened.
    But ehh.. try telling that to the people running our country, are they just thinking of profits from busts, I don't know.

I'd tend to agree, sort of like Holland did, but you still see junkies and dealers on their streets too.
    It would definitely hurt the suppliers big time if they legalized "it" like when the legal high stores opened.
    But ehh.. try telling that to the people running our country, are they just thinking of profits from busting people I don't know.

ah its a very complicated matter but i can some what understand both sides of the fence. im glad to hear countries like portugal are flying the flag regarding this matter, i.e. decriminalising or whatever they call it. i think its a much better approach to the problem. im in the camp of believing its a total waste of time, money and resources chasing the criminals. id rather see everything legalised, the money and resources could be put into preventing drug addiction in the first place. id rather see more money and resources being put into our mental health services in dealing with this but things just aint that simple. its a very risky approach to dealing with the whole issue but i think is the right one.

EMar Sounds

Yep totally, because even if it's illegal, there will still be as many addicts, legalizing it doesn't make more junkies.
    I think about it from the police side too and government, like the whole alcohol issue, look at the money they make from
    taxes, and then you have people on the streets being drunken idiots, that's work for the police, legalize it and their jobs are gone.
    But they could focus on more serious issues, like the suppliers, importers. create more activities for the youths especially.
    When you're young living in a small city, you can easily mislead, you may never harm anyone, only yourself and your future.

Yep totally, because even if it's illegal, there will still be as many addicts, legalizing it doesn't make more junkies.
    I think about it from the police side too and government, like the whole alcohol issue, look at the money they make from
    taxes, and then you have people on the streets being drunken idiots, that's work for the police, legalize it and their jobs are gone.
    But they could focus on more serious issues, like the suppliers, importers. create more activities for the youths especially.

gardai, we ll always need them im afraid, as we cant self police, us humans. ah ireland is still a very conservative country particularly regarding these issues. it ll be a long time before drugs are legalised here if ever. we re simply not addressing our mental health problems that lead to addiction problems such as alcohol and drug addiction. we re great for sweeping it all under the carpet but sure it only comes back to haunt us eventually. our culture is centered around alcohol so its a very complicated problem for us to deal with. mental health problems are very complicated anyway so we ll always have issues with it but thankfully we are becoming better with dealing with them. more to do though

Advertisement