Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Trees - When are they ready to eat?

Options
  • 19-08-2015 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

When are my apples, Cox and Pippin, ready to be eaten? They look large enough but is there a certain time that I need to leave them for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

When they're ripe. It will depends from year to year and variety to variety. Try one now, if it's not sweet enough leave it a week, if you want to be 100% sure just wait until they start dropping themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I think i heard that if you have to yank them to get them off, they are not ready. But if you grab an apple, give it a twist and it comes off in your hand, then they are ripe. Or you could just taste one every week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's a bit like testing home brew to see is it ready...on the last bottle - ah, that's nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

if you have to yank them to get them off, they are not ready. But if you grab an apple, give it a twist and it comes off in your hand, then they are ripe. Or you could just taste one every week! :)

Ok thanks littlehorny !!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Second this, i've already have a few James Grieve apples off mine, something special about picking them right off the tree and eating :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement