Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutlery to last a long time?

Options
  • 19-08-2015 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone recommend good quality cutlery ? cutlery that I would likely still have many years from now?... Advice appreciated.

S :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

WMF is very good quality, German made.

http://www.wmf.com/en/theme-cutlery.html

Arnotts stock it I believe, and also probably B&T (both in Dublin), or you can buy direct from the link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any all stainless steel cutlery should last a lifetime. It doesn't have to be expensive - just made from one piece of stainless steel.

It's the cheap ones with plastic handles that don't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Any all stainless steel cutlery should last a lifetime. It doesn't have to be expensive - just made from one piece of stainless steel.

^^ This, pretty much.
    I bought a set some 10 years ago from Argos, simple stainless steel with a nice swirl carved into each handle. Still going strong, and probably will do for another few decades.

OK, while it's true that even the cheapest set will probably physically last forever, the quality of the steel can affect the looks after a while especially if they're regularly washed in dishwasher. We have a cheapish set we bought in Germany, about 25 years or so ago, and while it's still going strong, with continuous daily use there are some minor stains, blemishes and very small corrosion spots on them, esp. the knives, which means they don't look their best now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The trouble I had replacing my fork handles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

hardCopy wrote: »
    The trouble I had replacing my fork handles...

Sorry, couldn't resist :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The dishwasher can sometimes wreck them though.

I have a Viners set of a dozen knives and forks that I picked up in a Charity shop (yikes!), about 15 years ago for a song.

They are absolutely perfect right now. Even with dishwasher use. But I try (if I remember) to dry the Viners with a paper towel before the drying cycle starts. Helps I think!

The rest of my cutlery is bog standard, but going strong. All stainless steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There are lots of grades of stainless steel. Some can corrode fairly easily. The term should really be stain resistant steel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The best stainless steel cutlery I've ever had is Newbridge, I've had it for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clmitchell

I agree that the quality of stainless steel is important. I bought a Robert Welch (English brand) set some years ago. They were expensive, but some clever internet shopping meant I got them for 50% off. Cutlery is a once in a lifetime purchase, so worth spending the money on getting a quality set. They are nicely weighted and have remained shiny even though I always put them in the dishwasher and they have a 25 year guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

We've had the same forks, spoons and teaspoons from a stainless steel set we got perhaps 12 or more years ago or so - simple, classy ones from Arnotts.

The knives in the set - well, we had to replace after 5 or so years: they got ugly, corroded spots on them, from the dishwasher I guess. I replaced them with ones I bought loose (also in Arnotts) that were pretty similar (but not from the same set, not even the same manufacturer).
    Now *these* ones have ugly, corroded spots on them! So we're about due another set of knives, must sort that out.

The forks, spoons and teaspoons are all still perfect - it's only the knives that have degraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I still have some cutlery that I would have "borrowed" from my parents when I first moved out. It's very plain stainless of unknown brand, is in perfect nick and must be over 40 years old.

quaalude wrote: »
    The forks, spoons and teaspoons are all still perfect - it's only the knives that have degraded.
    Same here, it's not that bad, but as you say it's only the knives that seem to be affected for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I got a judge cutlery set as a wedding present and these came with a 25 year guarantee. They are stainless steel with a simple design.Not too heavy but still solid.

Advertisement