Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option for getting the new iPhone on release day?

• 19-08-2015 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

So with the new handsets likely just around the corner what is the best chance of getting one on release day?
    I've never been in the position to buy on day one before ... Will the apple website taking preorders for delivery on release day? Or is my best option a bricks and mortar shop?
    Any body else got on day one before and how did you purchase it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

So with the new handsets likely just around the corner what is the best chance of getting one on release day?
    I've never been in the position to buy on day one before ... Will the apple website taking preorders for delivery on release day? Or is my best option a bricks and mortar shop?
    Any body else got on day one before and how did you purchase it?

Thanks

Bets chance to secure one will be Belfast they won't be released here for a month or two after the official release.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bets chance to secure one will be Belfast they won't be released here for a month or two after the official release.

I'm hoping via parcel motel like the apple watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

What are you basing that on? The iPhone 6 came out in the UK on September 19th, and a week later was available in Ireland. It is likely to be the same this year unless something changes radically.

OP - the last number of years, by the time it's available on the Irish online store, the lead time has usually slipped to 3-4 weeks before shipment. So release day last year was September 26th but online orders took pretty much a month before they arrived.

The UK on the other hand, get a chance to have their phones arrive on the release date. So ordering the phone on the UK site is a great chance to get it on release day but the exchange rate at the moment makes that option more expensive.

All in all, best way to get on release day is pre-register interest with your carrier in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

For the last few years it's been getting closer to the tier 1 countries. Who knows, we might get it the same as uk this year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This post has been deleted.

We may see a price change with the 6s though. That Irish euro price is currently lower than the US price.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    What are you basing that on? The iPhone 6 came out in the UK on September 19th, and a week later was available in Ireland. It is likely to be the same this year unless something changes radically.

OP - the last number of years, by the time it's available on the Irish online store, the lead time has usually slipped to 3-4 weeks before shipment. So release day last year was September 26th but online orders took pretty much a month before they arrived.

The UK on the other hand, get a chance to have their phones arrive on the release date. So ordering the phone on the UK site is a great chance to get it on release day but the exchange rate at the moment makes that option more expensive.

All in all, best way to get on release day is pre-register interest with your carrier in Ireland.

I was basing that on my experience last year I had it on launch day last year as I travelled to Belfast and as you said people didn't get it for a month after the launch day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Apparently Apple have requested the factories to produce far more new phones to cope with the demand following the demand for them last year and the year previous, so we may get them within a week or so of release date.

I'm due an upgrade in Late October from three so don't really care as they'll be well established at that stage. I'll be going on 2 year contract but just hope the price is similar to what Three charge at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I was basing that on my experience last year I had it on launch day last year as I travelled to Belfast and as you said people didn't get it for a month after the launch day.

Only from ordering on Apple.ie. It was available from Ireland carriers a week later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Is it usually an overnight que situation in Belfast for release day then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup, I joined the queue at midnight and it was already about 80-100 people deep.

I think people start queuing from lunchtime the day prior.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Only from ordering on Apple.ie. It was available from Ireland carriers a week later.

Correct but I was simply replying to the OP initial question of were you can get one on launch day and IMO it is Belfast.

It was last year but you also had the option of reserve and collect which was great last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I reserved one and picked one up three days after release. Might do the over night queue this time round.

Advertisement