Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the LC for medicine.

• 19-08-2015 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm Rachel & this is my first post, so please be nice :)
    I've been reading through a lot of the threads but haven't found anyone who's been in a similar situation so I've decided to start a new thread. Of course, I'd be glad to hear advice from anyone else who can help me out.

I'm thinking of repeating my LC this year to get into medicine. I did my original one in 2013 and ended up getting 555 . I never went to college but I've been working as part of the household staff in a hospital since then.

I'm just looking for some advice really. It's been a while since I've been at the books so I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction of an excellent school (that takes repeats!) somewhere in Cork.

Please pm me or post here if you'd prefer.

Thanks a million to anyone who can help me out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Rachel321 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm Rachel & this is my first post, so please be nice :)
    I've been reading through a lot of the threads but haven't found anyone who's been in a similar situation so I've decided to start a new thread. Of course, I'd be glad to hear advice from anyone else who can help me out.

I'm thinking of repeating my LC this year to get into medicine. I did my original one in 2013 and ended up getting 555 . I never went to college but I've been working as part of the household staff in a hospital since then.

I'm just looking for some advice really. It's been a while since I've been at the books so I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction of an excellent school (that takes repeats!) somewhere in Cork.

Please pm me or post here if you'd prefer.

Thanks a million to anyone who can help me out.

Hi Rachel,

If you meet the entry requirements, personally, I probably wouldn't bother repeating the Leaving Cert. Any gain over 550 is minimal, and you'd have to put a huge amount of work into it. I'd say you're better off focusing on HPAT as with a bit of work, you could increase your score far more with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Hi Rachel, like what the other poster said I really wouldn't advise you on repeating the leaving cert for medicine if you already have 555 points. After 550, the benefit of any more points is negligible to the HPAT.
    I too got 555 in the leaving cert and missed medicine by a few points last year but just repeated the HPAT and scored high enough to get in with last years points. The amount of pressure you'd have to put yourself under and all that time and energy for something that's really not that worthwhile. Do your best with the HPAT would be my advice and do something else for the year that you enjoy :)

Advertisement