Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science or Software Development

Options
  • 19-08-2015 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Which is a better degree to become a computer programmer, Computer Science or Software Development? I know you have to do stuff yourself aswell as a degree to become a programmer such as learning multiple coding languages, but which would be better to do? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Depends on what the subjects are in each course?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It could be argued that a computer programmer is a software developer.

However, there's a whole lot to computer programming, it depends on the area you want to get into. Computer Science will usually cover software development/engineering, though not to the same level as a "pure" software development course. It will also cover other areas such as architecture, operating systems, networking and so on.

There is considerable overlap between the two - I would say CS is more broad to general computing/computer engineering, software development is more focused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 _JimPix_

bmm wrote: »
    Depends on what the subjects are in each course?

Just say for argument sake, UCD (Computer Science) Carlow IT (Software Development)
    UCD:
    -advanced software engineering
    -mobile application development
    -networks and Internet systems
    -web multimedia
    -Maths
    -Fourth year a Project.

Carlow IT
    -Year 1: (Common 1st year) - Mandatory Subjects
    Mathematics 1
    Programming 1
    Computer Hardware
    Operating Systems
    Networking
    Applications & Interpersonal Communications 1

Year 2: Mandatory Subjects:
    Mathematics 2
    Web Programming & Databases
    Object-Oriented Programming
    Systems Analysis
    Computer Architecture
    Management Accounting
    Project

Year 3: Mandatory Subjects:
    Advanced Programming
    Operating Systems
    Software Engineering for Web, Cloud and Apps
    Work Placement / Project
    Mathematics and Logic

Plus Two Electives:
    Data Structures & Algorithms
    Networking
    Wide Area Networking

Year 4: Mandatory Subjects:
    Computer Science
    Software Engineering 1
    Software Engineering 2
    Artificial Intelligence & Logic
    Web and Cloud Development
    Graphics
    Project

Got all that on qualifax there.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It could be argued that a computer programmer is a software developer.

However, there's a whole lot to computer programming, it depends on the area you want to get into. Computer Science will usually cover software development/engineering, though not to the same level as a "pure" software development course. It will also cover other areas such as architecture, operating systems, networking and so on.

There is considerable overlap between the two - I would say CS is more broad to general computing/computer engineering, software development is more focused.

So if I wanted to become a Software Developer, it'd be better to do the Software Development even if its an IT instead of a NUI. Thanks

_JimPix_ wrote: »
    So if I wanted to become a Software Developer, it'd be better to do the Software Development

Think about what you are asking. If you wanted to become a plumber, would it be better to study plumbing? :D
    even if its an IT instead of a NUI

What does this mean? Even if it in an IT?

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Think about what you are asking. If you wanted to become a plumber, would it be better to study plumbing? :D

What does this mean? Even if it in an IT?

Ok so if me and my friend both wanted to become software developer/programmer in the same company but they were offering one place, and I had done software development level 8 in a institute of technology(IT) and he done a level 8 in a NUI (University) for Computer Science who would be more likely get it and just say the person who done the software development has more experience and knows more coding languages at better skill then the other person. Would the employers be biased seeing someone from a better college like a NUI. May sound stupid but would like to know. Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

Ok so if me and my friend both wanted to become software developer/programmer in the same company but they were offering one place, and I had done software development level 8 in a institute of technology(IT) and he done a level 8 in a NUI (University) for Computer Science who would be more likely get it and just say the person who done the software development has more experience and knows more coding languages at better skill then the other person. Would the employers be biased seeing someone from a better college like a NUI. May sound stupid but would like to know. Thanks very much.

Who would get the job?
    In the following order:
    1)manager's relative
    2)best interviewee

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Which is a better degree to become a computer programmer, Computer Science or Software Development? I know you have to do stuff yourself aswell as a degree to become a programmer such as learning multiple coding languages, but which would be better to do? Thanks.

All depends on the individual course content. Often it will depend on the prestige of the institution as well.

I'm a software engineer but my undergrad was Elec Eng. Lad beside me did Arts with Geography. So the under grad is not necessarily the ultimate decider. IT can be very much a self made profession. Quite a few guys in here do not have formal degrees.

Who are offering the courses?

In my experience IT doesn't tend to carry around that sort of snobbish baggage... It tends to care more for institutions that have a genuine name for producing quality graduates whether they be IT, University or whatever.

Any decent software house will also have a technical interview which tends to level the playing field. As I said; most people where I am don't have any formal computing under grads. It's about their skills (and experience)

My advice would be to avoid at all costs a company that hires solely on the basis that you're a university boy/gal.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Who are offering the courses?

I want to go to Carlow IT the more I think about it but would people look down at it compared to a university is what I was saying.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    In my experience IT doesn't tend to carry around that sort of snobbish baggage... It tends to care more for institutions that have a genuine name for producing quality graduates whether they be IT, University or whatever.

Any decent software house will also have a technical interview which tends to level the playing field. As I said; most people where I am don't have any formal computing under grads. It's about their skills (and experience)

My advice would be to avoid at all costs a company that hires solely on the basis that you're a university boy/gal.

Thanks very much, Yeah I would be looking to get a internship at some stage in college and volunteer work at CoderDoJo. I think I will end up going Carlow IT wouldnt be able to afford to move to Dublin.

Thanks very much, Yeah I would be looking to get a internship at some stage in college and volunteer work at CoderDoJo. I think I will end up going Carlow IT wouldnt be able to afford to move to Dublin.

University of Limerick has a strong reputation for technology graduates. And it would be a fraction of the cost of Dublin. Interns and volunteer work would look great on a grad's CV. Shows initiative.

I want to go to Carlow IT the more I think about it but would people look down at it compared to a university is what I was saying.

Those days are gone, especially with the current demand in the IT marketplace for graduates.

A level 8 degree is a level 8 degree, irrespective of where it was obtained. As others have said, it is down to the person and their experience.

Advertisement