Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part 4 and termination notice

Options
  • 19-08-2015 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm currently on a part 4 tenancy since October 2013, and my landlord just sent me a letter asking for an increase rent starting from October of this year ( He already increased the rent last October aswell).

I don't agree with this increase but I don't want to give my notice now. If I wait until end of september and give my 6 weeks notice, Will the landlord request me to pay the new increased monthly rent in October, or I'm allowed to pay my current monthly rent during the duration of my notice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,919 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even if you dispute the rent increase to the PRTB you're expected to pay the higher rent until the decision time - so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

How come someone who will leave because of a rent increase , pay that increase during the notice period?

Amouar wrote: »
    How come someone who will leave because of a rent increase , pay that increase during the notice period?

Because the landlord is allowed increase the rent once per 12 months to no more than the market rate.

Yes they are allowed to increase every 12 months, but you seem to be wrong as it shouldn't apply during the notice period, see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86722592&postcount=32

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

As far as I know, only if the increase is challenged with the PRTB does the existing rent stay as it is. If the landlord was any way decent they'd flag the increase well in advance.

• Advertisement

Amouar wrote: »
    Yes they are allowed to increase every 12 months, but you seem to be wrong as it shouldn't apply during the notice period, see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86722592&postcount=32

You're not entering a notice period due to the price rise, you're intending to do it 6 weeks after notification of the price rise.

L1011 wrote: »
    You're not entering a notice period due to the price rise, you're intending to do it 6 weeks after notification of the price rise.

Fair enough.

Advertisement