Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat for veterinary medicine or study veterinary nursing

Options
  • 19-08-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

This year I was 40 points short of veterinary medicine and was offered my second choice of veterinary nursing in UCD. I honestly don't know what to do. I had my heart set on veterinary medicine and I feel that i didn't do my best during the exams due to family problems at the time.

Scenario 1: I repeat my leaving cert and get the points for veterinary medicine.

Scenario 2: I repeat my leaving cert and don't get the points for veterinary medicine. I'm disappointed once again. I persue a different course.

Scenario 3: I take the veterinary nursing course in UCD. The problems with this is that I'm afraid I won't like veterinary nursing. I'm currently doing research on this career and I've found a lot of negative opinions due to long hours, low pay and being treated as a cleaner/ receptionist in the workplace.

I would love to hear from people who repeated, their experiences, and veterinary nurses and their opinion of the profession, and anyone else who can help. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

This year I was 40 points short of veterinary medicine and was offered my second choice of veterinary nursing in UCD. I honestly don't know what to do. I had my heart set on veterinary medicine and I feel that i didn't do my best during the exams due to family problems at the time.

Scenario 1: I repeat my leaving cert and get the points for veterinary medicine.

Scenario 2: I repeat my leaving cert and don't get the points for veterinary medicine. I'm disappointed once again. I persue a different course.

Scenario 3: I take the veterinary nursing course in UCD. The problems with this is that I'm afraid I won't like veterinary nursing. I'm currently doing research on this career and I've found a lot of negative opinions due to long hours, low pay and being treated as a cleaner/ receptionist in the workplace.

I would love to hear from people who repeated, their experiences, and veterinary nurses and their opinion of the profession, and anyone else who can help. Thanks.
    Can you start vet nursing (say, do the first year) and gain credits that you could use to transfer to veterinary medicine?!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Doing vet nursing because you didn't get veterinary is not a good idea in my opinion. They're totally different jobs and you are likely to end up miserable and disillusioned. You need to be doing vet nursing because you're sure working as a vet nurse will make up for the long hours and low pay (not that being a vet is a route to financial riches mind!). If you really want to be a vet the fastest and cheapest route would be to repeat the leaving cert. You're only 40 points off.

Many vet students have repeated to get there, it's not unusual. Back in my day myself and 15 others in first year vet medicine (out of a class of about 65) had all repeated our leaving cert together in the same grind school. Trying to get in as a graduate student is an option now but it takes so much longer, there are very few places and it's very expensive.

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Roselm wrote: »
    Can you start vet nursing (say, do the first year) and gain credits that you could use to transfer to veterinary medicine?!

No, you need to meet the entry requirements, that is 575+ points or a graduate entry route.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

Thanks everyone for the replies.
    Roselm wrote: »
    I've heard of someone doing this before but I couldn't find any information about it online.

So after much deliberation, I've decided to repeat my leaving cert. I've done work experience in a few veterinary practices and I've thought through both careers, but I still have a passion for veterinary medicine and feel that it is the path for me. Thanks again everyone.

Advertisement