Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensee in owner-occupied house share - PRTB / tax obligation queries

Options
  • 19-08-2015 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi , I have a question , I live with my landlord the last year, by law they do not have to register with PRTB as I live with them but do they have to declare my rent or pay tax on the rent I pay them every week ?with the tax revenue ??? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Domeniex wrote: »
    Hi , I have a question , I live with my landlord the last year, by law they do not have to register with PRTB as I live with them but do they have to declare my rent or pay tax on the rent I pay them every week ?with the tax revenue ??? Thanks

If you're paying under 12000 a year then no they don't pay tax on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

But they do have to declare it to revenue.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

If you qualify for rent-a-room relief, the income you get from renting out the room is not liable to PRSI, the Universal Social Charge or income tax. However, it must be included on your annual income tax return.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,308 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

FYI You are not a tenant and he is not your Landlord. The owner of the house is just that and you are a licensee. you do not have the same rights as a tenant.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/sharing_accommodation_with_your_landlord.html

http://www.prtb.ie/media-research/publications/licensees-in-private-rented-accommodation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Any reason you want to know? The tax affairs of the owner of the house are nothing to do with a licensee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

athtrasna wrote: »
    Any reason you want to know? The tax affairs of the owner of the house are nothing to do with a licensee.

Agreed.

And I would add, if you have a perceived issue with the owner such that you are asking about tax and PRTB then just move out. Life is too short to live with someone you don't like.

Advertisement