Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DIY Helmet makeover? To do or not to do......

• 19-08-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Anyone know anything about respraying a skid lid? Does the aerosol paint compromise the fiberglass? I've an oldish Arai in good knick but sick of the look of it since it wouldn't match me jocks, let alone any other gear.

Unless it's a completely stupid idea, any tips would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭carl456

If it doesn't match your jocks its probably dangerous to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Painting fiberglass would be fine.
    Plastic shells might be weakened by the solvents in the paint.

In either case its not the shell that absorbs the impact its the foam inside. So you're really not affecting the safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭An truicear tochasach

In either case its not the shell that absorbs the impact its the foam inside. So you're really not affecting the safety.

Sound- it's more or less what I thought but haven't been able to find anything definitive online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Sound- it's more or less what I thought but haven't been able to find anything definitive online.

There are lots of users on reddit that use sharpie markers to jazz up their lids. Some glow in the dark and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The shell does form part of the safety system of a helmet, to act as a barrier between the road surface and the foam/your head. Solvents can damage fiberglass so make sure you use paint designed for fiberglass.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Can you put up a picture of this helmet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Many years ago I had a helmet partially re sprayed when the cat used it as a scratching post, I'm sure it will be fine.

Pugzilla wrote: »

Again depends on the solvent used in the glue.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Del2005 wrote: »
    Again depends on the solvent used in the glue.

wha?

wha?

How do you plan on keeping the picture attached to the helmet? Glue, bluetac or thumbtacks.

All glues have some type of solvent in them which evaporates off to make it stick, depending on what the solvent is it can react to different materials. Putting the wrong solvent on a material will damage the material.

Edit..

Miss read your post.

• Advertisement

Jasus lads, I'm almost worried😦 Using the standard Holtz aerosol from the motor factors. Otherwise, no stickers or glue - trying a bit of basic stenciling with mixed results so far😂. Almost there. Unfortunately I didn't take any before pics - will post a pic when I'm done. Be warned though, it's no great work of genious. It is however, great fun & has provided me with hours of entertainment (off the bike)!

Tried posting earlier but for some reason it didn't work! As promised, the said pic. Not a work of genious but sure I'm delighted for a first attempt!

Jees- can't figure out how to attach pics!

Tried posting this a couple of times. ...fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Do we have a new super hero then :P

the_flash_by_boy_meets_hero.jpg

mamax wrote: »

Ha- there is a slight Dlas

mamax wrote: »

Ha- there is a slight Flash Gordon influence alright..bit of a laugh..

Advertisement