Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"European sim card only"... ugh

Options
  • 19-08-2015 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Evening all. Bought a shiny new Samsung Galaxy S5, sim-free, from Argos today, in anticipation of going back to China (where i live most of the year) in a few days.

I was delighted with my purchase... until i looked at the box and saw "European sim card only". Flippin' 'eck, i thought - will i have to take it back to Argos? Then under those words there was more: it said if you put into a European sim card and make or receive calls on it for at least five minutes, you can use the phone in any country.

I don't doubt Samsung's words, but i want to know if anyone else has met this issue, and did the phone work OK outside Europe when you did as instructed? Obviously i don't want to take it to China, only to have it useless to me for the next ten months.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

stannis wrote: »
    Evening all. Bought a shiny new Samsung Galaxy S5, sim-free, from Argos today, in anticipation of going back to China (where i live most of the year) in a few days.

I was delighted with my purchase... until i looked at the box and saw "European sim card only". Flippin' 'eck, i thought - will i have to take it back to Argos? Then under those words there was more: it said if you put into a European sim card and make or receive calls on it for at least five minutes, you can use the phone in any country.

I don't doubt Samsung's words, but i want to know if anyone else has met this issue, and did the phone work OK outside Europe when you did as instructed? Obviously i don't want to take it to China, only to have it useless to me for the next ten months.

Cheers!

Yes, Samsung are not lying to you on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

They obviously have no reason to lie about it. I just want to know if anyone has actually done this and encountered any problems with it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

stannis wrote: »
    They obviously have no reason to lie about it. I just want to know if anyone has actually done this and encountered any problems with it or not.

What problems would there be?

I've had no issues with it.

Advertisement