Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland statements

Options
  • 19-08-2015 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Trying to get a bank statement from bank of Ireland for 2005/2006. Really need this was told today that they don't hold records that long???? Anybody know how I can get these

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

sparts wrote: »
    Trying to get a bank statement  from  bank of Ireland  for 2005/2006.  Really need  this was told today  that they don't  hold records that long???? Anybody know how I can get these
    Hi Sparts,

Thank you for contacting us on Boards.

It is possible to retrieve statements on your account for the previous 7 years. Apologies, as it is not possible to retrieve further back than this for statements or account balances.

Please don’t hesitate in contacting us again if there is anything else we can help you with.

Have a good day.

Helen

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sparts

Hi Sparts,

Thank you for contacting us on Boards.

It is possible to retrieve statements on your account for the previous 7 years. Apologies, as it is not possible to retrieve further back than this for statements or account balances.

Please don’t hesitate in contacting us again if there is anything else we can help you with.

Have a good day.

Helen

Thank you for your response, do you not keep your records electronically, what happens to records that you no longer have. If you don't keep them electronically as far back as 2005 what has happened to the paper files? I find it enraging that I am not allowed access to what is mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Sparts, 

Thank you for coming back to us and we are sorry that you are unhappy with the length of time in which we hold statement records.

We are obliged to keep records of statements for up to 7 years. After this the files are deleted or destroyed. You can find more information on this clause here on our website. 

We appreciate your feedback today and we will certainly pass your comments to the relevant area. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

So the bank doesn't actually have a historical record of transactions? A balance amount is technically worthless unless how it is arrived at can be proven. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Red Alert wrote: »
    So the bank doesn't actually have a historical record of transactions? A balance amount is technically worthless unless how it is arrived at can be proven. 
    Hi Red Alert, 

We would always advise customers to retain copies of their statements for their own use as we only store these on file for a maximum of 7 years. As mentioned, anything statement records order than this would not be available. 

If we can help with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It's government data protection rules. Financial institutions are obliged to keep records for 7 years and are further OBLIGED to destroy data greater than 7 years old 

Advertisement