Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best electric guitar for under €500?

• 20-08-2015 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Okay so I'm a pretty new guitarist (although I've been playing for a few years now on a Fender Squier Strat), and I'm hoping to start doing small gigs (with my band) within the next year, and I was wondering what guitar would be the best by (preferably for under €500). These are some guitars I have heard good things about:
    Ibanez RG350DXZ
    Epiphone EGGVWCCH1
    Ibanez SA360QM
    Fender Stratocaster Standard (which is over budget a bit, but is it worth it for a Fender?)
    I'm in an indie/ alternative rock band but I lole olaying heavier rock too.
    If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.
    (I'm also looking for an amplifier for around the same price range)
    I posted this in the musicians' area too, but I thought this might be a better place to post (new to here).

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Please don't post the same posts across multiple forums.

That said, I'm liking the look of Chapman guitars atm. Slightly more than your budget, but I haven't heard a bad word about them http://www.thomann.de/ie/chapman_guitars_ml_1_nat_m.htm

Going to be picking up one myself soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Squier Classic Vibe Strat Dont be put off by the squier name , I actually prefer my one over my USA Strat, Their Teles are as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I've heard great things about Squier Classic Vibe guitars too. That being said, €440 is an astonishing amount for a Squier.

All the guitars you have listed are completely different though. You really need to work out what kind of sound you are looking for - humbuckers or single coils etc.

Of those that you mention, I would certainly go for the Fender. Mexican Fenders have improved no end in recent years and they're a nice take on some classic instruments. It should hold its value better than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jamfilleddonut

feylya wrote: »
    Please don't post the same posts across multiple forums.

That said, I'm liking the look of Chapman guitars atm. Slightly more than your budget, but I haven't heard a bad word about them

Going to be picking up one myself soon enough.

Sorry! Won't happen again. And thanks for the suggestion, I shall definitely be searching the reviews :)

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I've heard great things about Squier Classic Vibe guitars too. That being said, €440 is an astonishing amount for a Squier.

All the guitars you have listed are completely different though. You really need to work out what kind of sound you are looking for - humbuckers or single coils etc.

Of those that you mention, I would certainly go for the Fender. Mexican Fenders have improved no end in recent years and they're a nice take on some classic instruments. It should hold its value better than the others.

Thanks. Well really I'm looking forthe most versatile electric guitar. I like to to stuff from Nirvana to the Smiths, so my stuff varies a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'd say a Squier Jazzmaster would fit that Nirvana to Smiths territory. Price is in budget too.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_jmascis_jazzmaster.htm

or maybe the Jaguar might be better.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_sq_vintage_mod_jaguar_3tsb.htm

For a little over your budget, I really like the look of the Yamaha 611. It can really do it all and has received great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Tried one of these in a shop and it was better than my usa standard strat

.thomann.de/ie/fender_squier_classic_vibe_tele_thin.htm

There was a guy who sold a Mexican Thinline Reissue on GI Classifieds for €370 last week. Personally, I think €470 for a Squier is mad, however good they may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've got two classic vibe strats. Nice guitars for sure, might need a pickup change however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

I've got two classic vibe strats. Nice guitars for sure, might need a pickup change however.

I haven't done anything to my classic vibe , it's the only guitar in my collection that has stayed stock
    As for the pickups theyre made by Tonerider

http://www.tonerider.com/strat

They have started getting expensive but secondhand at about €250 theyre a great deal

They have started getting expensive but secondhand at about €250 theyre a great deal

I've heard great things about the pickups. €250 is certainly a more tempting price.

There was a guy who sold a Mexican Thinline Reissue on GI Classifieds for €370 last week. Personally, I think €470 for a Squier is mad, however good they may be.

I agree. Personally I'm trying to move away from the squiers as I already have one (albeit a pretty cheap one), so I'm looking to move away from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I had one of the J Mascis Squier Jazzmasters.

Sold my Jap Jazzmaster once I got it, turned down an AVRI jazzmaster also, because it just didn't feel like there was much of a difference.

Honestly, they're not like Squiers at all, and I pity anyone who looks at the headstock and passes on them because of it, genuinely one of the nicest guitars I've ever lay my hands on, and I've gone through tons over the past couple of years. And I'm sure there's plenty who are the same who'll agree with their classic vibes etc.

However, snobs will be snobs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

the nicest strat I've ever been in the same room as was a CIJ Japanese Squier from around 90 or so. absolutely wonderful.

the OP used the word versatile.........

for your budget, the most versatile is a used Variax.

I've had two, and my black one is still my go to electric (3 electrics to chose from)

coupled with a POD XT live multi FX unit, you'll get both for under €500 off ebay and you will have literally thousands of combinations of guitars, amps and FX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVecPbtuxok

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    However, snobs will be snobs.....

In my case it's not a question of the name on the headstock but of relative value. €470 for a Squier seems insane when people are selling mint American Series Fenders on the likes of Adverts for €750. There's a 2014 one on there right now for that price. I know which I'd pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In my case it's not a question of the name on the headstock but of relative value. €470 for a Squier seems insane when people are selling mint American Series Fenders on the likes of Adverts for €750. There's a 2014 one on there right now for that price. I know which I'd pick.

But €470 is within the OPs budget. €750 is not.

phutyle wrote: »
    But €470 is within the OPs budget. €750 is not.

Certainly but being within the OP's budget doesn't make it good value either. I'd wait the extra couple of months and save up the difference though.

the nicest strat I've ever been in the same room as was a CIJ Japanese Squier from around 90 or so. absolutely wonderful.

the OP used the word versatile.........

for your budget, the most versatile is a used Variax.

I've had two, and my black one is still my go to electric (3 electrics to chose from)

coupled with a POD XT live multi FX unit, you'll get both for under €500 off ebay and you will have literally thousands of combinations of guitars, amps and FX.

This one looks good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Certainly but being within the OP's budget doesn't make it good value either. I'd wait the extra couple of months and save up the difference though.

Or find a classic vibe on adverts for 250ish... Although they don't come up too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah but that's purely going by the name on the headstock. Play both and then decide.

Personally I think it's silly to go by pricing, really you need to play as many as you can and see how they compare and if they suit you.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Yeah but that's purely going by the name on the headstock. Play both and then decide.

Personally I think it's silly to go by pricing, really you need to play as many as you can and see how they compare and if they suit you.

There are other factors to consider like the fact that the Fender comes with a hardcase. However, some of this comes down to the fact that I am arbitrarily using the new price of the Squier and the used price of the Fender.

If you can get the Squier for €250 then it's a different proposition entirely. I would still be far more likely to pay full price for an American Fender than a Squier though, although I've never done it for either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

No love for the Yamaha Pacifica. The 120H model has dual humbuckers and hardtail bridge so much less noise and tuning issues than a Squier for less than E300 brand new.

The Yamaha Pacifica was the go-to guitar for low-cost recommendations on this forum in times past. I guess there are more options now but they are great guitars for the money.

Advertisement