Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay in Ireland already?

Options
  • 20-08-2015 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

I was in a SuperValu in North County Dublin that has new self-service kiosks and noticed that the payment terminals all had the Apple Pay logo on them.

Is this the start of a soft rollout in Ireland, after it already launched in the UK last month, or is it officially coming here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The terminals that can accept contactless can accept Apple Pay anyways. My guess this was just a software update pushed by the terminal manufacturers to display the Apple Pay logos.

To use Apple Pay you need to go into Passbook and have Apple enable it for Irish users. Once there you scan your credit/debit card (or use the one you have on file on iTunes) and then Apple does a check with your issuer to see you're allowed have Apple Pay. If you change your region to US or UK you'll get this option, but card verification will fail unless you have a participating bank. Ulster Bank do, but only for cards issued in Northern Ireland.

Until that last step becomes enabled by Apple for iPhone's set to the Irish region, then no Irish card issuers can do Apple Pay. Inversely if you have an American/UK card that is Apple Pay enabled you can pay for stuff in Ireland.

It's great paying with the Apple Watch, it's like magic and the cashiers face lights up every time.

The first thing you'll hear of Ireland having Apple Pay is when Apple announce it, banks generally will have very little information, well customer facing representatives of banks will have little to no information (or full of hear say) right up until Apple announce it.

You may have to rewrite bits of your article ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Great to know. Thanks for clearing that up - I had gotten used to the terminals in the US, but did a double take when I saw it here.

It's great to live in the future, eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I was in a SuperValu in North County Dublin that has new self-service kiosks and noticed that the payment terminals all had the Apple Pay logo on them.

Is this the start of a soft rollout in Ireland, after it already launched in the UK last month, or is it officially coming here?

Interesting the Ulster Bank have updated their app to the watch. Wonder if they're anticipating anything soon...?

naasrd wrote: »
    Interesting the Ulster Bank have updated their app to the watch. Wonder if they're anticipating anything soon...?
    Doubt it, Apple Pay is completely separate than having a Watch app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Ulster Bank up the North have Apple Pay, down here we could be left waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Is there a transaction limit on Apple Pay?

Can you use it an infinite number of times without ever having to take out your card?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

KFC have the sign for it on their terminals, I saw it today at the one at Charlestown(?) in Finglas.

Is there a transaction limit on Apple Pay?

Can you use it an infinite number of times without ever having to take out your card?

There's no limit in the U.S., in the U.K. It's £20 (which is the current limit of contact less cards). I'd imagine it'll be €15 when it comes here

with regard to the infinite transactions without having to use your card, that seems like a silly limit that PermanentTSB have imposed so it'll probably be up to them.

You'd think with the finger print authentication that it should allow larger transactions.

I thought Apple Pay was more like Paypal with NFC rather than functioning like an actual contactless VISA card.

AIB and BOI aso have a random "pin-check" like PTSB but not sure if it's every 4th go like Perm TSB have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It's up to the contactless software manufacturers to enable higher limits, I believe.

• Advertisement

Just found this. A lot more realistic. It'll be up to the retailers rather than the banks.
    What’s the transaction limit?
    While normal contactless payments have a transaction limit of £20 (rising to £30 in September 2015), Apple Pay shouldn’t have any limits, as the transactions are more secure and have to be authenticated.

“There is no transaction limit,” Visa explained to us. “This is because the authentication acts similarly to PIN.”

However, the reality is that contactless terminals are set to allow a maximum transaction of £20. For higher limits to apply, it will require retailers to support Apple Pay and increase the amount that can be spent. That means that most people will encounter a £20 cap at launch although some stores will increase the limit after launch: Pret is already offering unlimited transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Interestingly, the Irish App Store highlighted Apple Pay on the featured tab when it launched in the UK. Very likely just a mistake but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Interestingly, the Irish App Store highlighted Apple Pay on the featured tab when it launched in the UK. Very likely just a mistake but still.

Sounds like a mistake. Any Apple Pay signage currently in the republic is probably down to retailers based in the UK erroneously sending out signage to Irish branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tonylee

Saw Apple Pay sign up on Marks and Spencer pay terminal in Jervis Center today, and saw a guy use his iPhone to pay for his purchases. I know Ulster Bank recently updated their app to include it so it must be active if you are an Ulster Bank customer? Hope it won't be long until its officially launched and the other banks here include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

tonylee wrote: »
    Saw Apple Pay sign up on Marks and Spencer pay terminal in Jervis Center today, and saw a guy use his iPhone to pay for his purchases. I know Ulster Bank recently updated their app to include it so it must be active if you are an Ulster Bank customer? Hope it won't be long until its officially launched and the other banks here include it.

Maybe it was a northern card? Ulster Bank in the north offer Apple Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tonylee

yes, it probably was a UK card. Still, interesting to see Apple Pay in operation here. And the fact that it is prominently displayed on M&S pay terminals. Can't be long now?

Realistically I'm not sure why the banks have such a say in it being rolled out here.

It functions exactly like Paypal, you add your card to your Apple account and buy things with it. The terminals have NFC and allow you to use Apple pay, so I don't see where the banks need to be involved? You're not using your card as such, you're using a virtual account, like Skrill or Paypal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Realistically I'm not sure why the banks have such a say in it being rolled out here.

It functions exactly like Paypal, you add your card to your Apple account and buy things with it. The terminals have NFC and allow you to use Apple pay, so I don't see where the banks need to be involved? You're not using your card as such, you're using a virtual account, like Skrill or Paypal?

False. Apple want a fee for each transaction from the bank.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/apple-pay-to-generate-fees-from-banks-not-merchants-report-says/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's a bit ridiculous that almost a year after launch it hasn't been rolled out in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

It's a bit ridiculous that almost a year after launch it hasn't been rolled out in Ireland.

The US and UK are the only two countries in the world which support it. I suspect Ireland will be a lower priority than other countries with larger populations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Not really. In fact it would be ridiculous if Ireland was the third country in the world where it was rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Card machines in boots were displaying the Apple Pay logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Card machines in boots were displaying the Apple Pay logo.

Saw it today in Boots Cork and in McD's in Cashel. Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Maybe more roll out dates will be announced on the 9th? Its entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Hopefully we'll see something soon. Maybe Apple Pay is appearing because the machines are just linked to their UK counterparts?

retweet wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll see something soon. Maybe Apple Pay is appearing because the machines are just linked to their UK counterparts?

This is exactly it. Also it's the card machine manufacturers that are updating their terminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

retweet wrote: »
    Maybe Apple Pay is appearing because the machines are just linked to their UK counterparts?

I'd say this is it.

It would be interesting to see if any Irish owned retailers (SuperValu, Dunnes?) have the logo on their terminals.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'd say this is it.

It would be interesting to see if any Irish owned retailers (SuperValu, Dunnes?) have the logo on their terminals.

The op mentioned that he/she spotted one in a supervalu.

I'd say it's a mix of British chains pushing updates that Ireland just take and the card machine manufacturers doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Have ulster bank ever released contactless payment cards in the south? I know they have in the north but theirs nothing on my southern debit card. Ulster bank ireland seem to be very far behind in this technology that i find we could be waiting awhile for apple pay :( Hope im wrong.

• Advertisement

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Have ulster bank ever released contactless payment cards in the south? I know they have in the north but theirs nothing on my southern debit card. Ulster bank ireland seem to be very far behind in this technology that i find we could be waiting awhile for apple pay :( Hope im wrong.
    yes they have, on credit cards only though.

Advertisement