Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Pay in Ireland already?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

yes they have, on credit cards only though.

So were hoping when they do release it in the south that that the include credit and debit accounts,Not just keeping it to credit card accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

who knows only ulster bank will know that and even then anyone in ulster bank that you can talk to won't know until apple pay is announced/released for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Boutye?

I've been using Apple Pay in the south for the past couple of months. I have a uk Halifax card linked to it but it does work down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Boutye? wrote: »
    I've been using Apple Pay in the south for the past couple of months. I have a uk Halifax card linked to it but it does work down here.

In the south, as in Cork or Kerry? Strange that it can't be done in the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

murpho999 wrote: »
    In the south, as in Cork or Kerry? Strange that it can't be done in the rest of the country.
    Ireland he means;) Have halifax not only being supporting apple pay for the last two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Apple Pay will work on most if not all NFC enabled card machines so if you have an eligible bank you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Have ulster bank ever released contactless payment cards in the south? I know they have in the north but theirs nothing on my southern debit card. Ulster bank ireland seem to be very far behind in this technology that i find we could be waiting awhile for apple pay :( Hope im wrong.

The majority of their ATM machine displays are still monochrome in 2015
    Very far behind

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Boutye?

murpho999 wrote: »

The south as in the republic. Specifically, Dublin. But it works anywhere in the country as long as you have a uk card linked to the Apple Pay account. Irish banks haven't signed up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

The majority of their ATM machine displays are still monochrome in 2015
    Very far behind

Thats correct, A few of there banks still use the monochrome machines, But to our advantage, The app is one off the best banking apps around(Speaking to friends on other banks) so hope this continues onto apple pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Tim Cook was in Dublin today and apparently promised that Ireland will be getting Apple Pay.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/11/apple-ireland-jobs-taxes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ShooterMcGavin

CEO Tim Cook, who is in Dublin today, said that “Apple is proud to call Ireland home.” He also promised that Apple Pay would be coming to Ireland, which is a separate country to the UK.

...just in case you forgot or, probably like most in the US just didn't know.

Thankfully the internet brings the author, Mr. Ben Lovejoy (@benlovejoy), to task in the comments section.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I know we're are a bit sensitive about that over here, but it's not unusual to encounter people broad who are unclear about exactly what comprises the UK. Hell, even Irish people in my experience aren't too sure. They know we aren't part of the UK but that's about it.

Whatever about that 9to5mac writer's primary school geography lesson, hopefully we see it in the next 12 months along with less restricted limits at pay-point terminals.

Whatever about that 9to5mac writer's primary school geography lesson, hopefully we see it in the next 12 months along with less restricted limits at pay-point terminals.

The limit for contactless payments was increased in the last budget. It's up to €30. Not sure when it comes in though.

The limit for contactless payments was increased in the last budget. It's up to €30. Not sure when it comes in though.
    Start of November. It's in.

But it's up to the terminal's software to allow higher payments for Apple Pay if it wants to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Just noticed that Woodies DIY are accepting Apple pay .

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Does Apple Pay appear in wallet despite not being launched here? I have an iPhone 5S and know that it isn't compatible with Apple Pay, but also have an Apple Watch and it should be compatible with Apple Pay and 5S.

• Administrators Posts: 53,846 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Niamhf wrote: »
    Does Apple Pay appear in wallet despite not being launched here? I have an iPhone 5S and know that it isn't compatible with Apple Pay, but also have an Apple Watch and it should be compatible with Apple Pay and 5S.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yes it will appear in your wallet app and in settings if you change the following to UK:

Settings > general > language & region > region

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

You'll need a UK address to fully install it in the wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

naasrd wrote: »
    You'll need a UK address to fully install it in the wallet.

Not true. I set up an NI Ulster Bank card without a UK address.

you don't need an address at all. all you need is a credit/debit card that has been issued by an Apple Pay supported issuer. Ulster Bank in NI will work, Ulster Bank ROI will not.

here's the supported list of banks/issuers https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204916

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

mackerski wrote: »
    Not true. I set up an NI Ulster Bank card without a UK address.

You cannot install a RoI Ulster Bank card in Apple Pay without a UK address. Of course you can install an NI one, that's obvious.

Go through the set up and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

You seem confused - you can't set up an ROI card with _any_ address. But it is still untrue to state that you need a UK address to set up a card that is actually supported by Apple Pay - at least for UB cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Irish Tesco credit cards are not supported either. Tbh I was quite surprised the UK Tesco cards were on it at all, they are just like the Irish cards 10 years behind other banks. It's 2016 and my Tesco credit card still hasn't got contactless payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Irish Tesco credit cards are not supported either. Tbh I was quite surprised the UK Tesco cards were on it at all, they are just like the Irish cards 10 years behind other banks. It's 2016 and my Tesco credit card still hasn't got contactless payment.

I don't think any do. Isn't it only a Debit Card feature?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Mr.S wrote: »
    Credit cards in the UK / US have it, haven't seen any Irish ones with it though yet.
    BoI credit cards do - I can't remember if it came with the change to MasterCard but it happened last year.

Advertisement