Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for suggestions for an external screen for laptop with hdmi output

Options
  • 20-08-2015 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭

The laptop has just a hdmi output,
    need to use it pretty much full time for work: excel, word, email, etc, no gaming. Am looking for suggestions for a suitable screen: am I better sticking with vga enabled screens and get an adaptor if possible.
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

An 'adapter' won't cut it, you would need a converter to convert the (digital) HDMI signal to (analogue) VGA so unless you can get a dirt cheap secondhand VGA monitor, it's not worth the hassle of needing an additional power lead and socket.

What you need is a flatscreen monitor, probably 21" or so, cheaper than a TV but identical in appearance. Check the PC shops but remember that a cheap TV will do the business and will also have sound, something that most monitors don't have.

Edit: I just looked at the monitors on the PC World website and to be honest, you'd be better off buying a cheap TV in Power City or DID.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

coylemj wrote: »
    An 'adapter' won't cut it, you would need a converter to convert the (digital) HDMI signal to (analogue) VGA so unless you can get a dirt cheap secondhand VGA monitor, it's not worth the hassle of needing an additional power lead and socket.

What you need is a flatscreen monitor, probably 21" or so, cheaper than a TV but identical in appearance. Check the PC shops but remember that a cheap TV will do the business and will also have sound, something that most monitors don't have.

Edit: I just looked at the monitors on the PC World website and to be honest, you'd be better off buying a cheap TV in Power City or DID.

Much obliged:) the learning continues, as always :)
    will try it out on one of the flat screen TVs we have here

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Something like this. I have a sister model, very nice panel.

ED E wrote: »
    Something like this. I have a sister model, very nice panel.

+1 Looks the biz, can't go wrong with LG. Won't have sound but nice and slim so a good fit for any desktop. You won't get a TV anywhere near as good for that price.

But... if you're buying that from Argos, beware the hard sell on overpriced HDMI cables. To connect a laptop you will need a 1.5m cable for which you should be paying about 12 euros and no more,you can buy them from the accessories rack in most electrical stores, Tesco also sell them.

Thanks, its out of stock, seemingly nationwide, based on selecting most stores

• Advertisement

Advertisement