Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 50km/h speed limit Balbriggan-Skerries

Options
  • 20-08-2015 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up the Skerries 50km/h zone has been extended out towards Balbriggan as far as the just after the bridge at Barnageera.

New signs up when heading in the direction of skerries, however when heading towards balbriggan they have just taken down the previous 80km/h signs, which might well catch some people out.

Seems a bit mad to me to be honest, as far as I was aware 50km/h was for residential areas.

Anyway just one to watch out for as part of that road is covered by gosafe vans and although they are normally parked on the straight 80km/h section it wouldn't surprise me if they tried setting one up on the new 50 section.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

IMO that section of road is far too narrow and dangerous for an 80 limit. 50 far more appropriate..

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

I have seen the vans parked right beside the garda station in balbriggan, bit of a strange place to park them to me as people are slowing down on one side for lights and then only getting to go on other side, so not really in my opinion a possible speed zone, Could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

RobFowl wrote: »
    IMO that section of road is far too narrow and dangerous for an 80 limit. 50 far more appropriate..

50 is bananas for a stretch of wide, straight road. Are we talking about the same place?

This is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

RobFowl wrote: »

I'd agree to the extent that there are parts there (just before Barnageera turn of on way to Balbriggan) that 80km/h isn't appropriate. But still have to say the 50 surprised me, I very much associate that with built up areas, 60 would have made more sense to me.

It is also a bit inconsistent, plenty of windy country lanes with 80 speed limit but most people are sensible enough not to go that fast. Driver education of appropriate speeds is far more important than setting new speed limits, but thats a whole other discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Khannie wrote: »
    50 is bananas for a stretch of wide, straight road. Are we talking about the same place?

This is my understanding.

It's only gets wider close to the point at the Ardgillan pedestrian bridge (if coming from Balbriggan). Still, 50kph seems too slow, maybe 60kph is a little more realistic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement