Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting: Confirming salary / Bank statement

Options
  • 20-08-2015 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I've agreed to lease a property and have been asked to provide details of my salary or a bank statement. I've nothing to hide and can afford the rent but feel uncomfortable providing that kind of private information. Is asking for these details normal?

I've already provided work references that I have a permanent full-time job, should that not suffice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

Yes I was asked for it as well when I started renting. I blacked out nearly everything on a bank statement, and just left my salary going in on it, and that was enough for them. I wasn't comfortable with it at all, but it was a deal breaker apparently. For the record it was an agency rather than a private LL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

I've agreed to lease a property and have been asked to provide details of my salary or a bank statement. I've nothing to hide and can afford the rent but feel uncomfortable providing that kind of private information. Is asking for these details normal?

I've already provided work references that I have a permanent full-time job, should that not suffice?

Perhaps the owner of said property is uncomfortable leasing a property (which is probably worth many multiples of your annual salary?) without knowing your ability to repay or your credit worthiness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

I had the same issue last year where the landlord wanted three months of full transaction history......I wasn't comfortable handing over that much private data so walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I am not in this position but would much rather hand over a salary cert than banking details if given the choice. I certainly would not give full transaction details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I'd show them bank statements but not allow them to keep them or copy them.

Tbh few things are as boring as my bank statements and there's nothing in them that anyone would raise an eyebrow at. It's not like they actually list what I purchase.

Want rented accommodation this day in age? Put your big boy pants on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'd walk away. You are signing a contract to pay for the property for a set period of time. If you fail to pay they can take you to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've refused a place because they wanted this. I'll provide work and previous landlord references but they have no need to know my salary and if they insist then I just move on.

matrim wrote: »
    I've refused a place because they wanted this. I'll provide work and previous landlord references but they have no need to know my salary and if they insist then I just move on.

How is a previous landlord's reference independently veverifiable?

How does a work reference prove you are credit worthy and will be a performing tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

How does a work reference prove you are credit worthy and will be a performing tenant?

It doesn't but I'm not supplying my salary details to a landlord. Even if I don't mind showing my salary details to a third party, showing a landlord puts you at a disadvantage when it comes to negotiating rent increases.

As for credit worthy would you say the same if I asked for his salary details? Because as a tenant how do I know he isn't in arrears with the bank and I'll suddenly get turfed out? Or has paid up with the management company and I'll wake up one morning to my car being clamped? Or he can afford any repairs that are needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

I'd walk away. You are signing a contract to pay for the property for a set period of time. If you fail to pay they can take you to court.

Ah yes, and we all know how that works, one year later, tenant still in property. Perhaps eventually kick them out. Long drawn out process. End result usually with landlord losing rent for that period, perhaps now their mortgage is in arrears.

Seriously why is this a problem? You go to buy a car and they do a credit check. Whats the big deal? Doesnt it make perfect sense for the landlord to find out beforehand?

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    It doesn't but I'm not supplying my salary details to a landlord. Even if I don't mind showing my salary details to a third party, showing a landlord puts you at a disadvantage when it comes to negotiating rent increases.

As for credit worthy would you say the same if I asked for his salary details? Because as a tenant how do I know he isn't in arrears with the bank and I'll suddenly get turfed out? Or has paid up with the management company and I'll wake up one morning to my car being clamped? Or he can afford any repairs that are needed?

So what you're saying is that the proof you're providing isn't worth the paper it's written on? Why the refusal to accept that somebody handing you control of a valuable asset will look for something more than the price of a piece of paper?

How does it put you at a disadvantage? He increases the rent, you don't accept that it's the market rate and you move on or negotiate. Why would you end up paying more because he/she knows how much you earn?

A management company clamping your car for non payment of management fees is illegal.

As for the rest of your points - how many people have you heard this happening to?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Perhaps the owner of said property is uncomfortable leasing a property (which is probably worth many multiples of your annual salary?) without knowing your ability to repay or your credit worthiness?
    It is clear from my reference from my employer that I earn enough to cover the rent, why do they need to get my specific salary? I've never disclosed that to anyone else, I don't really want it kept on file at some agents office.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

I know in my previous job I used to have to provide letters for landlords to confirm the person was working for the company, I always assumed it was to show they have a job and a capacity to pay.

As far as handing over my bank statement if you have paid a deposit plus a month in advance that should be enough to show you capable no need for bank statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

I've been asked the same and like others have simply refused and found alternate accommodation without these demands.

I'd never give that information to an independent landlord or an agency, it is none of their business at all.

A letter of employment will show you are currently employed and have money coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I ask for it and am happy to provide the tenant with access to my profit and loss account showing the mortgage going out, rent coming in, management fee being paid and repairs being carried out. I work on the basis of what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I've never understood this Irish obsession with 'data'. OMGZZZ me privacy is being invaded, but as soon as the boot is on the other foot the person protecting data is a 'jobs worth'.

Until we move into at least the 20th century in relation to credit referencing it's a rock and a hard place. If you don't like it walk, they'll be a queue behind you with the market the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I was asked to provide it when looking at a property, we weren't interested in the end but I wouldn't have handed over my bank account details in any case. A deposit and first month up front should be enough, IMO.

It is clear from my reference from my employer that I earn enough to cover the rent, why do they need to get my specific salary? I've never disclosed that to anyone else, I don't really want it kept on file at some agents office.

How does a reference from your employer prove youre credit worthy ie you will pay and have paid your rent regularly in the past?

What's the main issue with revealing your salary when entering into a transaction with large financial implications? You do it on a credit card statement?

txt_mess wrote: »
    I know in my previous job I used to have to provide letters for landlords to confirm the person was working for the company, I always assumed it was to show they have a job and a capacity to pay.

As far as handing over my bank statement if you have paid a deposit plus a month in advance that should be enough to show you capable no need for bank statements.

The reality is, it doesn't. So what next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Contact the previous landlord and ask them Did you rent to Johnny? Was he a good tenant? Rent paid on time etc? Thats how references work.

How does the bank statement do this? Money goes in, money goes out. The bank statement doesnt show you the 5 maxed out credit cards he or she might have.

OP, I get a letter from payroll stating you earn X amount. Or if you have a recent tax form, it will have your yearly salary on it. Your LL doesnt need to see your spending habits.

I've been asked the same and like others have simply refused and found alternate accommodation without these demands.

I'd never give that information to an independent landlord or an agency, it is none of their business at all.

A letter of employment will show you are currently employed and have money coming in.

Not worth the paper it's written on. Do you accept that it's prudent to hand over control of an asset that can be worth several hundred thousand Euro for the price of a piece of paper?

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Contact the previous landlord and ask them Did you rent to Johnny? Was he a good tenant? Rent paid on time etc? Thats how references work.

How does the bank statement do this? Money goes in, money goes out. The bank statement doesnt show you the 5 maxed out credit cards he or she might have.

OP, I get a letter from payroll stating you earn X amount. Or if you have a recent tax form, it will have your yearly salary on it. Your LL doesnt need to see your spending habits.

That's not indepently verifiable though is it? How do you know you're ringing his previous landlord and not his/her friend?

It shows you have paid your rent. How does a salary cert prove you've paid your rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I was asked to provide it when looking at a property, we weren't interested in the end but I wouldn't have handed over my bank account details in any case. A deposit and first month up front should be enough, IMO.

How on earth does paying deposit and first month indicate that a potential tenant has ability to pay the rent on an on-going basis? I have done it each time I rented in the past.

Get over it, black out any bits you dont want landlord to see, it is perfectly reasonable. You cant buy a car without doing a credit check, get over it, if you dont like it rent somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Obviously OP, ask the landlord for his bank statement, proof that he owns the property, that he is not in arrears on his mortgage and a current tax clearance certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

How does a reference from your employer prove youre credit worthy ie you will pay and have paid your rent regularly in the past?

How does my salary prove I'm credit worthy?

My landlord references prove I'm paid my rent regularly in the past.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Obviously OP, ask the landlord for his bank statement, proof that he owns the property, that he is not in arrears on his mortgage and a current tax clearance certificate.

Say we move 10 years into the future and we don't have the issue with a small part of the rental sector being in mortgage arrears. What will be you're excuse then?

That's not indepently verifiable though is it? How do you know you're ringing his previous landlord and not his/her friend?

Well obviously you don't use the number they provide, you look the persons name up in the phone book, or get their details from the PRTB.

What in your book would be an independently verifiable?

It shows you have paid your rent. How does a salary cert prove you've paid your rent?

So you dont want a bank statement from the past month, you want their bank statements from the last year indicating their rent being paid into the landlords account?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Not worth the paper it's written on. Do you accept that it's prudent to hand over control of an asset that can be worth several hundred thousand Euro for the price of a piece of paper?
    A bank statement isn't worth much either.

I can make my bank statement say whatever I want so Mr. Landlord will be happy as larry, useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What's the main issue with revealing your salary when entering into a transaction with large financial implications? You do it on a credit card statement?

I'd happily provide an icb credit report so. My bank details are between me and God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

If landlord thinks they are entitled to see your bank statements then they should be volunteering to show their mortgage statements to prove that they are capable of keeping up their own financial obligations.

• Advertisement

I'd happily provide an icb credit report so. My bank details are between me and God.

And the bank ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement