Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged twice - My mistake

Options
  • 20-08-2015 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

I stayed in a hotel earlier this month - before I arrived I made a booking online through booking.com when I arrived there was no booking shown on the system - I then had to pay using my debit card.

A few weeks later, I am charged again - turns out I booked for the wrong dates.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭cml387

Was the wrong date before or after you actually stayed.
    I'm guessing it was before your stay, so you were a no show on the booked day and turned up without a booking.

Highly unlikely you'll get a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭AlabamaWorley

I stayed there on the 7th.

Booking was for the 17th .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Contact the hotel.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Contact the hotel.

Just waiting to hear back - I've contacted them only to realise after my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭cml387

Depends on the cancellation policy. You might be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

First thing you should have done when you got back from holidays was to check the original booking. Not sure the hotel has done anything wrong here, but maybe they will extend you some goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Id imagine it would be at the hotels discretion, hopefully you didn't blow the lid at some person doing their job

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just waiting to hear back - I've contacted them only to realise after my mistake

your booking was for the 17th, so 3 days ago? Highly unlikely they will give a refund to a no-show

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

My question is why couldn't they find your later booking when they searched the system on the 7th. If they had it could have been rectified. Surely not an uncommon occurence.

Seems it has been deemed as a no show meaning no refund. I was thinking that myself - surely I would have been shown on the system for a later date - not sure how it works though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seems it has been deemed as a no show meaning no refund. I was thinking that myself - surely I would have been shown on the system for a later date - not sure how it works though.

There would have been no logical reason to check future dates, and they don't make it a normal function of booking systems to list people by name - it wouldn't be reliable with non unique names like nearly everyone in the world has.

You should have looked for the booking confirmation immediately when you were told it was missing on first check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

L1011 wrote: »

You should have looked for the booking confirmation immediately when you were told it was missing on first check in.

+1 Given that you booked and paid via a third party website, you definitely should have had the booking confirmation printout with you when checking in - precisely for this purpose. Then you would have spotted the incorrect date and they might have been able to cancel the later booking and refund you.

With the way it panned out you really have no right to a refund, they held the room on the 17th and you never showed up.

Cross-referencing names on the booking system isn't a runner, hotel booking systems aren't that sophisticated. Two people with the same name or a person visiting on business twice in the space of 10 days would be valid explanations for the duplicate name.

Advertisement