Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog license.. how to know if owner has one ?

• 20-08-2015 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

As the title says, how do you know if a dog owner has a license for their dog

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

As the title says, how do you know if a dog owner has a license for their dog

You don't, unless you're a warden and you ask to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

You don't, unless you're a warden and you ask to see it.

somthing like show me your license you scrote ? would that work !

somthing like show me your license you scrote ? would that work !

No, they're under no obligation to show it to you.

Anyway, a licence is basically just a tax, what are you hoping to achieve? Why do you need to see it?

No, they're under no obligation to show it to you.

Anyway, a licence is basically just a tax, what are you hoping to achieve? Why do you need to see it?

I could tell you but i'm under no obligation. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Presumably the compulsory microchipping of dogs (from March 2016) will make the dog licenses redundant???
    My mother tells me that she got a flyer in the post today, informing her about the subject.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dog-microchipping-to-be-compulsory-coveney-says-1.2111336

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

aonb wrote: »
    Presumably the compulsory microchipping of dogs (from March 2016) will make the dog licenses redundant???
    My mother tells me that she got a flyer in the post today, informing her about the subject.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dog-microchipping-to-be-compulsory-coveney-says-1.2111336

I'm not sure how that would make them redundant. The government will still want your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

If you're not a dog warden, I don't see how it's any of your business.

A dog licence is not some sort of 'register of dog owners' or a permission slip to have a specific breed, or linked in any way to recording statistics (afaik) or anything of the sort. It is just a tax on owning a dog. That's it. The tax goes into a general council kitty for the local council, and not spent directly on dogs or pets or running pounds or anything of the sort. It's just a tax. Doesn't prove anything, and doesn't mean anything to anyone but the warden.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The tax goes into a general council kitty for the local council, and not spent directly on dogs or pets or running pounds or anything of the sort. It's just a tax. Doesn't prove anything, and doesn't mean anything to anyone but the warden.

That is not true. It is not a tax. It is a license fee. Each dog license fee goes to the county pound in which the license is bought, and forms part of the budget to fund the pound. The license fees do not cover the cost of running each pound.
    That is, of course, unless the spokesman for county pound managers was lying to us all at a meeting of vets, rescues and dog welfare organisations a year or so ago (The National Stray Dogs and Cats Welfare Forum), when he presented a very detailed breakdown of how much it costs to run each pound, a breakdown of expenditure, and precisely what percentage of that expenditure is covered by the intake of license fees for each county.

they are bring in DNA testing on dog poo in the UK, the sooner they bring it in here the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

Check with the local council they are the ones who issue them chances are they don't have one and really its just to prove ownership of the dog it has no penalties if the dog does something you dont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dawney

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how that would make them redundant. The government will still want your money.

You're right, there's no plans to scrap the dog license on the back of mandatory microchipping. I guess because a microchip is a one off cost but you've to renew and pay a dog license annually.
    However hopefully new microchipping laws will discourage the throw away attitude to dogs that we're still seeing in Ireland today.

In answer to the original poster- as others have said, only the warden (or someone working on his/her behalf) can check for a dog license. If someone is caught without then reality is they'll just be told to buy one, if their dog is taken in by the pound then they'll have to produce a license before they can collect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

it's a pity they wouldn't include free micro chipping as part of getting a dog licence - it would make sense if they want you to do both and then do away with the paper licence completely instead having it tied to your chip number instead.

DBB wrote: »
    That is not true. It is not a tax. It is a license fee. Each dog license fee goes to the county pound in which the license is bought, and forms part of the budget to fund the pound. The license fees do not cover the cost of running each pound.
    That is, of course, unless the spokesman for county pound managers was lying to us all at a meeting of vets, rescues and dog welfare organisations a year or so ago (The National Stray Dogs and Cats Welfare Forum), when he presented a very detailed breakdown of how much it costs to run each pound, a breakdown of expenditure, and precisely what percentage of that expenditure is covered by the intake of license fees for each county.

Apologies, misuse of the word tax :o

I was told by the lady who ran a charity I used to deal with, that the money from a licence goes in to a general council kitty from which they pay various expenses, one of which was pound costs. She must have been mistaken, or they must have tidied it up since then (probably a few years ago I heard this).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Dawney wrote: »
    You're right, there's no plans to scrap the dog license on the back of mandatory microchipping. I guess because a microchip is a one off cost but you've to renew and pay a dog license annually.
    However hopefully new microchipping laws will discourage the throw away attitude to dogs that we're still seeing in Ireland today.

In answer to the original poster- as others have said, only the warden (or someone working on his/her behalf) can check for a dog license. If someone is caught without then reality is they'll just be told to buy one, if their dog is taken in by the pound then they'll have to produce a license before they can collect it.

You can get a one off lifetime licence for the life of a dog for €140.

If the license is being used toward the cost of running pounds then doing away with it will stretch an already tight budget.

Free microchipping is offered by some welfare charities though- I believe that there's a campaign in Sept by a large dog welfare charity based in Dublin- they've got vets on board across the country and they have a list of them online I think. If you want to get your dog chipped, have a look there.

Frustratingly, I suspect only responsible dog owners will chip their dogs regardless of the law. :(

joeguevara wrote: »
    You can get a one off lifetime licence for the life of a dog for €140.

You can, though I imagine most people pay on an annual basis (if at all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I could tell you but i'm under no obligation. :pac:

I just read this as "I don't want to say it's none of my business". Whoever you're trying to get at, leave them and their dog alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You can, though I imagine most people pay on an annual basis (if at all).

I have two lifetime ones - they were €20 cheaper 2 years a ago ;)

tk123 wrote: »
    I have two lifetime ones - they were €20 cheaper 2 years a ago ;)

I should do the same, rather than the annual panic of trying to remember when I need to renew mine!

• Advertisement

I should do the same, rather than the annual panic of trying to remember when I need to renew mine!

Plus the price increases every year like everything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Out of curiosity, has anyone been caught without a license? Or has anyone even been asked to see it?

Each year I curse for having to pay it (even though its only €20). I have owned dogs all my life and never once have been asked to produce it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've been asked twice, once when the warden called door-to-door, and once whilst out walking my dogs... Again I just happened to meet the warden whilst he was doing door-to-door checks. Funny to watch the wave of people jumping into their cars to fly down to the Post Office as word spread!
    I see regular court reports of owners being prosecuted for no paying the on-the-spot-fine for not having a license, and know quite a few people who have been fined for same.
    That said, I think I live in a county that's particularly well policed by the wardens, and to their credit, they're reasonable to deal with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

DBB wrote: »
    I've been asked twice, once when the warden called door-to-door, and once whilst out walking my dogs... Again I just happened to meet the warden whilst he was doing door-to-door checks. Funny to watch the wave of people jumping into their cars to fly down to the Post Office as word spread!
    I see regular court reports of owners being prosecuted for no paying the on-the-spot-fine for not having a license, and know quite a few people who have been fined for same.
    That said, I think I live in a county that's particularly well policed by the wardens, and to their credit, they're reasonable to deal with too.

I didn't realise they went door to door too! They should do tv and dog licenses in one go! :)

He was going door to door this time 6 years ago when we'd just gotten baby Bailey - haven't seen him come to the door since. I know of people who've acted the eejit with him - arguing and refusing to put their dog on lead during the required times when they were asked nicely etc and they've been asked to present the license in X amount of days but don't know if it was followed up? I've only seen his van in the park the odd time I might have had a half day and been in the park earlier in the afternoon but I did see him in the vets asking about a dog attack/fight where they'd had one of the dogs in one day and he was petting all the dogs lol! :p

Advertisement