Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dare

• 20-08-2015 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi, Just wondering does anyone know anything about the DCU dare orientation?
    Is it compulsory?
    What it involves etc.
    Any info would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭AKeenan348

Is it compulsory?
    What it involves etc.

Hi,

DARE is an access route into DCU. The orientation week is there for all students to take advantage of. Since you are coming through the DARE route, you might getting a different orientation. From what I can make out from my own Welcome Pack to DCU, it is highly advisable that all students attend their orientation, as it gives an opportunity to get know the college, the academic and support staff, collect your student card, and to tell you what's expected of you in the coming year. You haven't said whether you're a FETAC student or school leaver, but either way, I know there's a big difference in what standard of assignments at uni. There's probably going to be stuff to do with referencing in assignments, library services, computer services, & student union. It does say not to miss any of the sessions, so we don't miss anything we need later in the year. So, to a fellow new student, I strongly advise you attend your orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

Thanks, I know I have to go to my course orientation but the DARE one is separate. I haven't received a welcome pack yet :( I guess I will see then. I was just hoping someone who did DARE orientation in DCU last year would know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CrumbleNewman

Is it compulsory?
    What it involves etc.

Hiya, I'm going to DCU under the DARE scheme in September -what course are you doing? It'd be grea to know someone else in the DARE scheme if there's a seprerae orientation! (I haven't gotten any emails or post from them yet!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I actually go into DCU through DARE, 5 years ago though.

But there was no different orientation like there is for the HEAR scheme.
    You might be thinking of the DCU access program, which involves HEAR.

I actually got onto the hear scheme after someone else dropped out so I didn't do the orientation, but I know people who did. It was just a week before college where they stayed in larkfield and got to see the college and got to know each other etc.

There is still Oritentation week for all new students. Those are not replaced by the extra weeks any schemes provide.

Orientation timetables for all students are online, they vary by course.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭war2k10

Well I haven't gotten anything yet, I'm hopingy welcome pack comes on Monday :) it would be deadly to know other people on the DARE scheme if we have a different orientation week :)

• Advertisement

Well It turns out we have a DARE orientation after all :)

Wednesday 9th & Thursday 10th September 2015

Time: 10.15 am – 4.30 pm (Wednesday) & 10.15 am – 3.30pm (Thursday)

Where: Room CG12, Ground Floor Henry Grattan Building, DCU

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

Ye, seems like a lot of time to fill!
    No welcome pack yet tho :(

Yes i know im waiting by the letter box for it :)

When is everyone thinking of moving up :)

war2k10 wrote: »
    Yes i know im waiting by the letter box for it :)

When is everyone thinking of moving up :)

I'm leaving in 7 days to move up, gotta get debs outta the way first. Are you living on campus?

I'm leaving in 7 days to move up, gotta get debs outta the way first. Are you living on campus?

Same I'm moving up on the 7th.

Sure you have to get that out of the way first :)

No il be living in gateway, what about you ?

• Advertisement

Same I'm moving up on the 7th.

Sure you have to get that out of the way first :)

No il be living in gateway, what about you ?

I live in galway, but my grandmother lives right beside the campus - I'll be the nerd living with their granny :p
    I don't know her very well but it's better than paying for accommodation! :p

I live in galway, but my grandmother lives right beside the campus - I'll be the nerd living with their granny :p
    I don't know her very well but it's better than paying for accommodation! :p

Anything is better than paying for accommodation lad :)

You looking forward to starting ?

Anything is better than paying for accommodation lad :)

You looking forward to starting ?

Wellll...terrified, actually. ****ting myself, if I'm truly to be honest here :p then again, I was accepted through DARE for my anxiety and OCD, so I'm always terrified :P
    How about you? Nervous?

Wellll...terrified, actually. ****ting myself, if I'm truly to be honest here :p then again, I was accepted through DARE for my anxiety and OCD, so I'm always terrified :P
    How about you? Nervous?

Ahh no not at all I'm probably the opposite I'm fairly laid back about everything :) it should be fun :P

Advertisement