Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mortgage rules will they change for 2016 and going forward??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Looks like a nice gaff that doesn't cost the earth tbf!

TheDoc wrote: »
    Erm, you might not have read my post. I'm the sole earner in the household, there is nothing left for savings by the end of the month...

Is getting a second income into the house not an option? Most people buying would be dual income in order to be able to save and meet LTI rules.

Is getting a second income into the house not an option? Most people buying would be dual income in order to be able to save and meet LTI rules.

Which is insane. Basing a mortgage on this means immediate struggle once childcare comes into play

Which is insane. Basing a mortgage on this means immediate struggle once childcare comes into play

Not everybody has children, not everyone has to pay for childcare or pay crazy money for childcare, some people can easily cover the mortgage and childcare etc etc. You have to base the mortgage on both incomes it would be madness if it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

I'm afraid renting will play a backseat to purchasing. My guess is it will be 2017/18 before we see supply starting to settle down for purchasing and 2020 before we see the rental market begin to sort itself out.

Look at the numbers for housing starts:

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1028778.shtml

Neither market will "settle" until there's enough building to meet demand.

The economist fella from Daft said that it costs e60k/housing unit in red tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

Well no, not exactly. If the market was in a more stable position, I'd have the facility to save over a period.

However the criteria coming in, while the market was in a rapidly upward trend, was a nightmare for me timing wise.

I'd absolutely love to have a mortgage right now, the proposed monthly repayments were laughable when I was speaking with various banks. Be coming out between 400-600 more disposable income a month

The fact is these rules are protecting you. If they were not in place, house prices would have risen significantly more. Without sufficient building, the market price would settle at the edge of lunacy.

The situation you face is deplorable. It isn't going to get better either.

If you accept that we have a national crisis, what could you do to actually treat it like a crisis?

1. Save more. Pennies count. You've given up on saving.
    2. Get a second income.
    3. Move and rent somewhere cheaper.
    4. Move and buy somewhere cheaper.
    5. Lobby for more house building.

The last point is almost free. You have 3/4/5 TDs. Visit each of them and tell them you need them to increase the number of housing starts. Tell them you need the amount of red tape in construction reduced - because you are paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Erm, you might not have read my post. I'm the sole earner in the household, there is nothing left for savings by the end of the month...
    Same for me but I have enough to save up a deposit for a cheap house (what were you doing with the money when you were paying €700 a month in rent instead of €1300? In a year that's €8400 that you could have saved all those years ago, I thought you said you were financially prudent?). You should be on at least €51K if you want to buy a house for €200K and are going to put down a 10% deposit (€180K / 3.5), if you can't save anything on that wage then I think the rules are doing a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I don't wish to jump up and down on you 'TheDoc' as I very much sympathise with your position I don't get how someone paying €1200 rent is not a good bet on a €800 mortgage bar two points:

i) If someone has no track record of saving then there is a possibility that they are not financially prudent. I'm not suggesting that's the case with you. The issue there is the person comes on to an €800 repayment and spends the €400 on a better car rather than saving for maintenance of the property. From a mortgage providers point of view, what happens if the market crashes again, the person loses the job and the house is repossessed sans roof and is essentially worthless.

ii) Tangentially to this thread but rent does not affect credit rating as it does in the states. Banks have no concrete proof rent has been paid, on time and in full, over a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

The Central Bank rules stated purpose is:

"The key objective of these regulations is to increase the resilience of the banking and household sectors to the property market and to reduce the risk of bank credit and house price spirals from developing in the future." (https://www.centralbank.ie/press-area/press-releases/Pages/CentralBankannouncesnewregulationsonresidentialmortgagelending.aspx)

They are looking at the long term and to protect the banking sector from bad lending practice, what the housing market does is not really their concern as long as the percentage of debt/credit doesn't spiral out of control. I sincerely doubt that these rules will change. There's been lots of conversation about exceptions and quotas of exceptions. A housing market depending on exceptions to a sensible rule which has been instigated to protect us from itself is not sustainable. The elephant in the room here is that if housing stock is unaffordable then prices are too high and they need to drop in the shorter term. When they rise again they need to be sustainable. 20% YOY rises are unsustainable (unless you want to give me a 20% payrise...?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

A. I can't afford a house based on what a bank will lend me so they need to change the rules to give me and the people bidding against me more money thus pushing prices higher?

B. Or accommodation costs are too high in this country?

• Advertisement

gaius c wrote: »
    A. I can't afford a house based on what a bank will lend me so they need to change the rules to give me and the people bidding against me more money thus pushing prices higher?

B. Or accommodation costs are too high in this country?

C. People need to start looking at places and property types they can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Villa05

C. People need to start looking at places and property types they can afford.

Hence the reason the m50 is choked up again as people return to 2 hour commutes to work living in a country that hasn't got the bottle to plan in a sustainable fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Villa05 wrote: »
    Hence the reason the m50 is choked up again as people return to 2 hour commutes to work living in a country that hasn't got the bottle to plan in a sustainable fashion.

its a very hard solution to engineer

You need to disperse people from Dublin, that means cajoling companies to base themselves outside Dublin, however that process has not been a success recently as there is a chicken and egg problem ( i.e. no population no company )

Then you need a way to ration housing in dublin , thats not based on price. again very difficult to do.

AT least in ireland we have the price differential that allows lower cost housing within a " workable" commute , better then nothing

Bottle isn't the issue, the issue is that the solution is not simple, obvious or popular

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You don't need to disperse people. You need higher density accommodation in the center of our capital. The 1800s called they want their building heights back.

C1. People need to start looking at places and property types they can afford, within travel distance of what they need.

C and C1 are they same problem. It's the 'no way I'm living on an ex council estate-itus'. I know let's move to Offaly I can brag to all my friends I've a 5 bed then and it'll be great for the kids all that countryside and the hours we'll have to spend in the car driving everywhere*.

Dublin is not expensive, people CAN afford to live within reasonable commuting distance but the infrastructure does need to improve and some people will have to commute in from dormitory towns (within reason).

*Please note I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with living in the country if that's where you work. But living there and then commuting for hours and adding the pressures of Family life is not going to make you happy camper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

A personal interest is the only reason anyone could have a problem with the new rules. 'I was about to buy and now I can't' or 'I was making money and now I'm not'.

Objectively, the new rules are exactly what we need, especially with the supply issues we're currently experiencing.

Smartest thing the CB ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

IMHO the CB rules are absolutely about sustainable planning. I agree that I hope they have the bottle to keep them.

I do also agree that substantial development needs to go into public transport and infrestructure. I can't remember where I read it but looking at the transport system in Dublin everything is like spokes on a wheel. All routes lead to Dublin. A sustainable and functioning transport system needs to be more like a spiders web. In the UK a one hour commute into London gives a much larger swathe of country and although all those areas are expensive it does relieve the pressure on the centre of the city. So glad to hear that Dublin Airport will be connected with the centre but it was a great shame that the underground train system was shelved (again).

Archaeoliz wrote: »
    IMHO the CB rules are absolutely about sustainable planning. I agree that I hope they have the bottle to keep them.

100% agree, unfortunately the man who brought them in has left. The politicians are doing everything they can to dilute them, but it appears there is strong ECB influence in maintaining the CB Rules

BoatMad wrote: »
    its a very hard solution to engineer

Bottle isn't the issue, the issue is that the solution is not simple, obvious or popular

No its not, Whats needed is Land, Labour and Capital, all are available. We need the bottle to tackle the forces that are preventing supply from being created.

Labour: No shortage domestically and access to EU Labour markets if we cant do it ourselves

Capital: Never cheaper in the history of modern economics

Land:
    Dublin is a small city by European standards. One of the most destructive features of the Bubble was the dispersion of the Dublin population north, south and particularly west, to towns and villages 60, 70 and 80 kilometres from the capital, from which the displaced Dubs could commute through the unzoned prairies closer to the city. There is enough unzoned land within 20 or 30 kilometres of Dublin to accommodate a megacity at modest densities. To this day, there are farms inside the M50, that is to say, within eight or nine kilometres of the city centre.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/colm-mccarthy/zoning-power-is-key-to-solving-housing-crisis-31283215.html

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

Hi All

As part of the new rules, if you apply for a mortgage as a joint one & you then apply for a sole one on your own after, will you still get 10% deposit on the sole one or will u be bumped up to 20% deposit aswell?

Any help appreciated
    juansheet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

juansheet wrote: »
    Hi All

As part of the new rules, if you apply for a mortgage as a joint one & you then apply for a sole one on your own after, will you still get 10% deposit on the sole one or will u be bumped up to 20% deposit aswell?

Any help appreciated
    juansheet

You stop becoming a FTB when you buy a property, if you don't follow through on approval then your still a FTB. I get the impression above that you would like to buy both a house and a house to rent. If that's the case, it's 30% deposit on the second property and the first mortgage is taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

You stop becoming a FTB when you buy a property, if you don't follow through on approval then your still a FTB. I get the impression above that you would like to buy both a house and a house to rent. If that's the case, it's 30% deposit on the second property and the first mortgage is taken into account.

Thanks for the info Cuddlesworth

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

highly1111 wrote: »
    I heard last week that apparently 98% of the 2016 allocation of exemptions for the 10% deposit allowance have already been allocated as rollover from 2015 for Bank of Ireland. People who applied in 2015 but who were asked to defer drawing down until 2016. I sincerely hope this is BS. Heard it from someone dealing with a broker in BOI.

We're another family stuck in the middle. Have about 40k saved. Currently paying €2 in rent. Live and work and schools in South County Dublin - f'd if we need 20% deposit. Have paid a full mortgage in 11 years - never missed a payment. Moved out of the apartment when I got pregnant with number 2 into a house where we're now renting. Full permanent pensionable jobs (I'm public sector too!) - I know its all very well for people to say "well move out of South Dublin" but its not as easy as that - we'd be looking at massive commutes if we moved and a drastic reduction in quality of live in terms of family support / friends etc. We spoke to the bank and have been clearing the stressed amounts for months now - the deposit is what's holding us back. They told us to come back in 2016 when they'd a fresh loan book - and then I heard the above.....

Have you tried KBC? We got our mortgage with with them as movers with 10% deposit. Found them very helpful and willing to look at the bigger picture rather than just the deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

Jen44 wrote: »
    Have you tried KBC? We got our mortgage with with them as movers with 10% deposit. Found them very helpful and willing to look at the bigger picture rather than just the deposit
    Hi Jenn44,
    had you already a mortgage with KBC before you moved and got the 10% deposit on the new property?

highly1111 wrote: »
    I heard last week that apparently 98% of the 2016 allocation of exemptions for the 10% deposit allowance have already been allocated as rollover from 2015 for Bank of Ireland. People who applied in 2015 but who were asked to defer drawing down until 2016. I sincerely hope this is BS. Heard it from someone dealing with a broker in BOI.

.............. Have paid a full mortgage in 11 years - never missed a payment. Moved out of the apartment ...................- the deposit is what's holding us back. They told us to come back in 2016 when they'd a fresh loan book - and then I heard the above.....

If you still own the apartment I doubt they will budge on the 20% deposit requirement on the second property. All considered in a way you are "fortunate" they are not looking for you to have a larger deposit.

If you have sold the apartment than you would be a good option for the smaller deposit considering the employment situation and rent you have been paying .

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

PIORUN wrote: »
    Hi Jenn44,
    had you already a mortgage with KBC before you moved and got the 10% deposit on the new property?

no our first mortgage is with Bank of Scotland who are no longer based in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

Jen44 wrote: »
    no our first mortgage is with Bank of Scotland who are no longer based in Ireland
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Not at present. My GF would be typically looking at work in areas that would be deemed low income. So we ran some numbers and I actually avoided a stereotyping/awkward situation when she offered to stop working to take care of our child (which sprung the requirement to move, and landed us into the higher rent. But I love my daughter and she is amazing, so I'll never hold it against her :D )

Childcare costs would in isolation absorb most of my GF's earnings, so we just decided there was more benefit in her stopping working to look after our child. So for the sake of what was a small amount in my eyes, we both felt it a better situation. And it gives me a great piece of mind, and to see the development in my daughter(not to say it wouldn't happen in childcare) I'm pretty happy with that decision for the sake of what might have been an extra €150-200 a month.

I've looked into securing a second job, but in reality the focus and attention required in my current position, I feel it might be a negative in me burning myself out and it having impacts on my main employment.
    slowjoe17 wrote: »
    The fact is these rules are protecting you. If they were not in place, house prices would have risen significantly more. Without sufficient building, the market price would settle at the edge of lunacy.

The situation you face is deplorable. It isn't going to get better either.
    If you accept that we have a national crisis, what could you do to actually treat it like a crisis?
    I very much accept it is a crisis and fully aware of the situation going on. I was just conveying my situation to the thread, from a perspective of a young family of three with a single income, and it's frustrating that the new rules while required, crush a certain section of our society.
    1. Save more. Pennies count. You've given up on saving.
    I've given up on saving to ensure that we as a family can enjoy life. We wouldn't be big spenders. We both arn't consistent or big drinkers, and you could probably count on one hand the amount of times we go out a year for a meal or a drink. Our interests and hobbies are relatively low cost, and I've knocked most things on the head the last few years like Airsoft, Golf and some other things I'd do recreationally that contained a cost.

I'm not in mortgage distress, or owe someone money. so while I need to save, I've very little left a month to do so, and we just decided that for now we won't bother. We are talking €100-€200 a month capabilities for savings here if even. I have mentioned to the O/H that my next two bonus' I'll try squirrel away savings that won't be touched(hopefully) That will go a long way.

But as anyone knows, life can throw **** up at you. Previous savings I did have, got chipped away with unforseen situations. Car repairs, incurance hikes, hospital visits, GP visits, Dental work etc. etc. So when you have little disposable income, those variables are a massive hit. So any savings there, can sometimes be required in emergencies.
    2. Get a second income.
    Addressed that to the previous poster. It's a year and a half before a second income becomes reasonable, as my child can then avail of the childcare sceheme the government brought back in.
    3. Move and rent somewhere cheaper.
    I'm not applying for social housing, and am not in mortgage distress. There is a certain aspect of "wanting to live where I want to live". We have kept an eye out and done some viewings for places that looked good on paper, but we've not found something that would make us moved. Where we are at the moment, was also picked before our daughter was born, which a certain aspect of "laying roots".
    4. Move and buy somewhere cheaper.
    somewhat part of my predicament
    5. Lobby for more house building.
    Yeah I've got in touch with some of the local TD's in my area, and am looking forward to having them knock on the door in the coming election to hear their piece. Typically TD's in my area (the elected ones) form part of the independants or fringe groups, who can never instigate change. Claire Daly is an elected TD from my area, so you know what I'm dealing with. (I also wouldn't entertain speaking with her, especially on housing)

The last point is almost free. You have 3/4/5 TDs. Visit each of them and tell them you need them to increase the number of housing starts. Tell them you need the amount of red tape in construction reduced - because you are paying for it.
    Same for me but I have enough to save up a deposit for a cheap house (what were you doing with the money when you were paying €700 a month in rent instead of €1300? In a year that's €8400 that you could have saved all those years ago, I thought you said you were financially prudent?). You should be on at least €51K if you want to buy a house for €200K and are going to put down a 10% deposit (€180K / 3.5), if you can't save anything on that wage then I think the rules are doing a good job.
    Money was being saved away when I was on the €700 p/m rent. We then moved to a house suitable for a family and even then at the higher rent my savings were intact. I then went through a redundancy and had a serious of calamitous events that quickly smashes my savings. I won't go into all of them as some are personal and family related, but issues with my car and a few other variables like that happened.
    I don't wish to jump up and down on you 'TheDoc' as I very much sympathise with your position I don't get how someone paying €1200 rent is not a good bet on a €800 mortgage bar two points:

i) If someone has no track record of saving then there is a possibility that they are not financially prudent. I'm not suggesting that's the case with you. The issue there is the person comes on to an €800 repayment and spends the €400 on a better car rather than saving for maintenance of the property. From a mortgage providers point of view, what happens if the market crashes again, the person loses the job and the house is repossessed sans roof and is essentially worthless.
    I'd have a tangible track record from my bank, who for some reason(even though i ask they stop sending paper bills) which shows my saving history. I kept them in the event they would actually help when it came to mortgages etc down the line.
    ii) Tangentially to this thread but rent does not affect credit rating as it does in the states. Banks have no concrete proof rent has been paid, on time and in full, over a long period of time.
    Yeah that the indication I got from a number of banks when I spoke to them on this point. However some of them mentioned that in days gone by, they probably would take great interest in it.

It's been a good thread to vent to be honest. I've been feeling the pressure big time in I'd say the last six months. I guess what probably drives me mad is the stories I read and hear on the radio of families who took some outragous gambles, and basically getting themselves sorted. It can be easy for me to point the finger at the CB and say their rules are too strict, but I do appreciate why they are there.

I've put in hard work this year, and as I mentioned earlier in the thread I've had a salary growing in an upward trend year on year for a while now, so I expect that to continue. And I might just get to the point in the coming months where I get actual breathing space when it comes to our disposable income per month, and I can start back up my savings with additional income I receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

Rules to be "Reviewed" in summer.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/central-bank-to-review-mortgage-rules-says-governor-1.2488855
    "He stressed, however, that the rules could be tightened or loosened in either direction."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

brownbeard wrote: »
    Rules to be "Reviewed" in summer.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/central-bank-to-review-mortgage-rules-says-governor-1.2488855
    "He stressed, however, that the rules could be tightened or loosened in either direction."

The other quote of significance from that article is.......
    Prof Philip Lane, who took over as governor of the Central Bank last November, said the new lending regime was here to stay.

Advertisement