Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting gear for the winter months

Options
  • 20-08-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to cycling. I've been commuting by bike everyday for the last 4 months so there's been a few days where I've gotten pretty wet.

At work I don't have showers or a locker, just a garage that I can leave my gear on and its horrible at the end of work to put on wet gear to head back out.

So I'm looking to get ready for the wet and cold that's coming up. I'm pretty OK with my upper body. A light rain jacket and some under armor is what I usually have. I'm just not sure what to do with my lower body and feet.

Can anyone recommend a pair of shorts that are quick drying or will dry over the 8 hours of work if left hanging up? I personally prefer baggy shorts over skin tights, at the moment I wear compression shorts with cotton rugby shorts over which once they get wet never dry. So if I could find a pair of baggy ones, or pants that would be great.

For feet I'm really clueless, I don't want to go clipless as it's a bit overkill for what I need. So I'm looking for a pair of shoes that doesn't hold water. I was using a pair of lonsdales but once they got wet they retained the water in the fabric and began to stink. If I could get a pair of shoes that don't hold water and wore sealskin socks with them I should be laughing.

Has anyone any suggestions about the above or any other advice in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Investing in a decent set of mudguards will leave you a lot dryer at the end of your commute.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Depends on how long long your cycle is but I used to jest wear my hiking/mountain boots. They're water repellent/proof and only once do I remember them getting soaked but that was in minor flooding when I had to cycle in an inch and bit of water so they got soaked in the spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its very hard to stay dry and comfy during the dreary winter months, but as simple as it seems mudguards really do make a massive difference.

Outside of that I find once I keep my hands, feet and cuffs (including collar/neck) dry the rest isn't too bad.

I can't imagine winter commuting with just an unheated garage to dry my gear, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I commute all year and I have an extra set of bike gear in my locker in work for when I get totally soaked on the ride in. I'm lucky in that if I'm on nights, I can use an empty office to dry my gear in with a portable heater. If I'm on days, I use the spare set if needed.
    Definitely get mudguards, and I got dedicated winter cycling boots to keep my feet warm (note - I didn't say dry as that's an impossibility unless you wear wellies)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Best way to drive clothes if you have a bit of space is with an office fan. Set the clothes up in front of it on a chair or something and rotate as needed a couple of times. It's like been on a clothes line and by the end of the day your clothes will be bone dry. This also works on the shoes.
    A spare dry set is probably the easiest though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

The garage I'll be drying things in is unheated but we do have a server rack in there that provides a good bit of heat. My upper layers dry quick as is, I'm most concerned about a pair of shorts that will dry quick.

What I really want to get is a pair of shoes that won't completely stink. I was thinking of getting something like this with waterproof socks:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=31568726&clickid=prod_cs&recid=Product_PageElement_product_rr_2_1053

My commute is only about 9-10km so I'm not too worried about getting cold over the 30 minutes or so. Would a pair of shoes like that on a bike be a bit mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lidl have more cycling gear on sale on Monday inclulding underwear, rain jackets etc....

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=572

Advertisement