Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar Daddy Sites on J1

Options
  • 20-08-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Was having a discussion with some mates who are going on a J1. Bit of a random one, but if you're on a J1 can you sign up to one of those Sugar Daddy websites to be the sugar angel or baby or whatever?

It doesn't really count as earning as you're not technically working, but you are getting money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Well, earning is allowed on a J1.
    On the visa waiver it may be more dubious.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Was having a discussion with some mates who are going on a J1. Bit of a random one, but if you're on a J1 can you sign up to one of those Sugar Daddy websites to be the sugar angel or baby or whatever?

It doesn't really count as earning as you're not technically working, but you are getting money.

might have to pay VAT-at-the-point-of-entry

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/1986/04/08/00118.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It's a legal grey area at the moment. I would not advise anyone to sign up to these sites for multiple reasons (especially not knowing the prostitution laws in the state in which you are going to be living during your J1 - as different states will have very different laws regarding these sites).

However, I can tell you that to the best of my knowledge on a Federal basis in relation to tax, if the proceeds are determined to be "gifts" they are therefore non-taxable for the purposes of Federal Income Tax. See: United States v. Harris 942 F.2d 1125 (7th Cir. 1991). This is down to the intent of the donor and you would be required to have evidence that the donor had paid tax on these "gifts" to you.

However, if you had no such evidence that the donor paid tax on the "gifts" (and potentially if the donor could/would not provide evidence as to the bona fides of the "gifts") then they would be considered income and you would be liable to pay Federal (and likely State depending on the State) income tax. A word of extreme caution here - I can't be more clear about this, if you are liable to pay income tax on the proceeds derived from working on these sites, it is highly likely that you will be classed as a sex-worker and depending on the laws of the State in which you are residing may be liable to prosecution under prostitution laws.

If you were my friend/relative, I'd strongly advise you for your own health, safety and well-being to avoid such arrangements. There are plenty of part-time jobs in the US J1 spots which do not come with the danger of prosecution for tax evasion, prosecution for prostitution and general personal safety issues.

Best,
    FS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A word of extreme caution here - I can't be more clear about this, if you are liable to pay income tax on the proceeds derived from working on these sites, it is highly likely that you will be classed as a sex-worker and depending on the laws of the State in which you are residing may be liable to prosecution under prostitution laws.

Its been a long time now, but I believe there were very restrictions on my green card, but they did mention no "Sex Work".

I thought that was a little intrusive at the time, not that i had my mind set on sex work, but you never know right?

:)

Worth considering though that your visa could become invalid even if the "job" is legal, which would also lead to consequences if you everr tried to get another.

Advertisement