Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp duty

Options
  • 20-08-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I hope somebody can give me advise on this.

Myself and my husband have separated, our house was in joint names and as part of the separation agreement, the deeds of the house have been transferred into my name only and I have bought his half of the property from him.

I have gotten a mortgage in my own name, which will pay off the outstanding mortgage (in joint names) and his financial settlement.

Do I have to pay stamp duty when technically purchasing my own house from myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

You can't buy a house from yourself.

You can buy your spouses 1/2.

Transfers between spouses are exempt. http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it3.html

Talk to your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gerbaby

Sorry Alan, yes I have purchased my ex's half of the property - value of property is 300K - outstanding mort. 100 and paid him 100 - so my new mortgage in my name on the same property is 200K - My solicitor hasnt mentioned it at all to me so I am hoping now that I am exempt as it is a transfer.

thanks for the link

Advertisement