Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Fight Night: Holloway v Oliveira

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Oliveira via Decision
    Plenty of people in Canada don't speak a word of English.

Gee, ya don't say? :rolleyes:

However, most of them are immigrants and most of them pick it up to one extent or another in time. She really has no excuse, especially being in the UFC/public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Holloway via Decision
    Mercier is an animal.

Holloway via Decision
    Body triangle is horrible place to be against some one like Mercier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Amazingfun wrote: »

However, most of them are immigrants and most of them pick it up to one extent or another in time. She really has no excuse, especially being in the UFC/public eye.

There over 9 million French speaking Canadians, 8 million of them in Quebec, a sizeable minority of them in rural areas would have no use for English at all. Even in parts of Montreal you can't get by without speaking French because a lot of the population don't speak English.

/off topic

John_D80 wrote: »
    Body triangle is horrible place to be against some one like Mercier.

Sims glued that chin to his chest and did well to get out of it.

That was a stupidly cheap way to give your back.

Oliveira via Decision
    There over 9 million French speaking Canadians, 8 million of them in Quebec, a sizeable minority of them in rural areas would have no use for English at all. Even in parts of Montreal you can't get by without speaking French because a lot of the population don't speak English.

/off topic

It's not off topic as her English was so bad it was embarrassing. Also: many in Quebec, (particularly Montreal), can speak English, they just won't unless they feel like it ;) My point stands: she has a pitiful level of English comprehension being in the UFC/public eye.

Holloway via Decision
    That was a stupidly cheap way to give your back.

He had to throw caution to the wind I think.

I had Mercier by decision in my pickem picks but he really should have done better there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It's not off topic as her English was so bad it was embarrassing. Also: many in Quebec, (particularly Montreal), can speak English, they just won't unless they feel like it ;) My point stands: she has a pitiful level of English comprehension being in the UFC/public eye.

What has being in the UFC got to do with her having to learn English? Shes there to fight not to take English lessons. Plenty of fighters end up having a translator with them at every occasion they speak on the mic. Plenty of them title holders too.They arent under any obligation to learn English just to suit the UFC.

• Advertisement

He had to throw caution to the wind I think.

I had Mercier by decision in my pickem picks but he really should have done better there.

Yeah he was trying to force a scramble to get back to feet or gain the top but he should have been turning the other way.

That said it's one thing doing it in a BJJ session, it's another when dude on top of you is punching you in the face.

Oliveira via Decision
    She is Canadian, lol. She is not a recent immigrant off the boat/whatever. Her level of English is pathetic and no one claimed it was a requirement but it made her a very boring/lame interview and few other (if any) Canadians require translators, do they? She needs to put some effort in, feel free to disagree.

She doesnt need to put any effort in to her English, thats the point. She needs to be able to understand her trainers, turn up and fight and do what she needs to do. Its a null point and I dont really see why you are trying to convince people otherwise. It would be better focusing on the fight and her ability in the cage not her ability to understand John Anik and a particular word.

Lets get back on topic and focus on the fights...

This should be a good fight.

Oliveira via Decision
    Axwell wrote: »
    She doesnt need to put any effort in to her English, thats the point. She needs to be able to understand her trainers, turn up and fight and do what she needs to do. Its a null point and I dont really see why you are trying to convince people otherwise. It would be better focusing on the fight and her ability in the cage not her ability to understand John Anik and a particular word.

Lets get back on topic and focus on the fights...

I disagree: she does need to put in effort for acquiring new fans and making better impressions in interviews. Aldo in fact has been criticized for this and his country doesn't even have English as one of its official languages. I didn't try to "convince" anyone: I expressed my opinion on it-so what?

It's not her job to win fans, it's her job to win fights.

• Advertisement

Holloway via Decision
    This should be a good fight.

I was about to disagree with you and point out that neither of these guys is known for their finishing ability and then that happened!!!

Trinaldo is on a tear!!

Oliveira via Decision
    It's not her job to win fans, it's her job to win fights.

Seems to me it's both ;)

How could anyone with such a crap ground game be 11 - 0 coming into this?

What a cheap win for Trinaldo.

How do you give your back that easily? What's the thought process?

Aldo is a world champion though and considering the amount of time he is on front of the media its understandable he gets criticised for it but at the end of the day its only him that it affects really, it means some sponsors wont ask him to do tv ads maybe etc. But you are talking about Letourneau and she is unlikely to ever be a champion in the UFC, shes not going to be doing a huge amount of interviews unless they fight in Canada again as I cant see her climbing the ranks to a title shot. So is it worth her going off and learning English, probably not when she doesnt need to..

You have your opinion, I and others disagree. Personally I prefer focus on the fights so thats me out of this conversation.

Holloway via Decision
    Wow. Is Francisco Trinaldo the nicest guy in the UFC?

• Advertisement

Wow. Is Francisco Trinaldo the nicest guy in the UFC?

Yeah hopefully the kids in his neighbourhood have fun tomorrow, what a great gesture.

He seems a nice guy but he absolutely robbed Norman Parke in his last fight and got an easy win here.

He seems a nice guy but he absolutely robbed Norman Parke in his last fight and got an easy win here.

Well the judges robbed him, Trinaldo can take the decisions he's given.

Well the judges robbed him, Trinaldo can take the decisions he's given.

Very true, just meant its a win on his record thats a bit dubious and he should have got a better fight tonight. Won it far too easy.

Holloway via Decision
    Cote/Burkman has the potential to be an out and out war. Dont think either of them has ever been knocked out in their entire careers and they both love to get stuck in and bang.

Can see Cote just grinding out the decision here, dunno what it is about him but just cant get excited watching him fight. Always feel he under achieves for someone who has great potential and isnt the same fighter he was before that time he blew his knee against Silva.

Holloway via Decision
    Are the canadian crowd chanting ''Ole Ole Ole''??

Holloway via Decision
    Can see Cote just grinding out the decision here, dunno what it is about him but just cant get excited watching him fight. Always feel he under achieves for someone who has great potential and isnt the same fighter he was before that time he blew his knee against Silva.

I like him but I know what you mean. I think he just reached a plateau in his skill level and never really prgressed from there.

Holloway via Decision
    Jesus that was some cracker of a punch. How did he stay on his feet?

Great sportsmanship from the two lads here.

• Advertisement

Holloway via Decision
    highlight reel exchange there!! WOW

Holloway via Decision
    Great fight!!

Wow. Just wow.

Jesus that overhand right would have decapitated most lads. Fight of the night so far for me.

No chance with that shot to the temple, good fight from both of them.

Holloway via Decision
    Unless we something spectaculr in the last two fights, that will surely be a bonus for Cote at least and possibly a FOTN for both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Holloway via Decision

Most people is Canada speak English.
    A lot speak English and French.
    Some speak only French. Those people are mostly (French-)Canadian, not immigrants.

Why is that hard to grasp? It's a really strange thing to get annoyed over.

Love to see Magny get a TKO upset here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Love to see Magny get a TKO upset here.

I don't have high hopes for an exciting match here.

A wrestler/ jui jitsu fighter vs a judoka / jui jitsu fighter. Should be interesting in terms of grappling but it won't be fireworks and big hits.

I don't have high hopes for an exciting match here.

A wrestler/ jui jitsu fighter vs a judoka / jui jitsu fighter. Should be interesting in terms of grappling but it won't be fireworks and big hits.

Exciting matches dont have to have big hits and fireworks if you appreciate good ground game. Each to their own though.

Holloway via Decision
    Magny won that round in the last 90 seconds.

Exciting matches dont have to have big hits and fireworks if you appreciate good ground game. Each to their own though.

I love good jui jitsu but there's no way Magny can compete with Silva on the ground so it will just turn into silva hunting for triangles and Magny hoping for scrambles to go his way.

That said he got a great takedown there.

Silva trying to stand up with this reach disadvantage seems like a bad idea...

Neverind seems he was just waiting for Magny to come inside.

• Advertisement

20 - 18 for Magny in my book so far...

I'm guessing 29 - 28 in favour of Magny on a split decision.

I'm guessing 29 - 28 in favour of Magny on a split decision.

Pretty close. Think the 30 - 27 is harsh but Magny deserved that win.

I love good jui jitsu but there's no way Magny can compete with Silva on the ground so it will just turn into silva hunting for triangles and Magny hoping for scrambles to go his way.

That said he got a great takedown there.

Magny didnt have any problems with anything Silva had to offer there, great performance by him.

Looking forward to this. I love both fighters styles for different reasons, hope it's a good one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement