Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest 4G connection speeds in Ireland?

Options
  • 20-08-2015 7:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭

What speeds are some of you getting with 4G? Anyone consistently get >50Mb/s?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

What speeds are some of you getting with 4G? Anyone consistently get >50Mb/s?

Highest I've got is around 35Mbs average would be around 20/25Mbs with Meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

I'm averaging around 2 to 5 on 3 these days. It used to be a lot better but now the network is choked! Sorry I ever signed up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

Just got 82.42 mbps

4S2nysv.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My best was around 55Mb DS in north County Dublin, on three.

Havent managed to find out what category of LTE the masts support. Very new handsets support class 9 and 10 which provides for up to 450Mbps. You'll only get consistently high speeds in areas where theres nobody around.

Just got 82.42 mbps

Where did you get that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

Quadrature wrote: »
    Where did you get that?

In Dublin 12

I used to get >50 a lot around parts of Cork but speeds have dramatically dropped in the city centre. Finding speeds in Dublin City centre poor too.

Has to be a capacity issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

4G? What's that? phone hasn't gone onto 4G since got back to the country (on 3)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

What will 4G speeds average out at I wonder when most handsets out there are eventually using it in areas where its available?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

B17G wrote: »
    What will 4G speeds average out at I wonder when most handsets out there are eventually using it in areas where its available?

Probably >50Mb/s since with the increase in demand networks would have to provide better consistent speeds to compete but by then, as in when >50% of phones in use are 4G enabled which is years away, 5G will probably be emerging.

It's funny to think that in even just 10 years time the speeds we're getting with 3G and 4G connections now will be laughable. One day we'll all have Gigabit speeds just through our phone connections lol.

Probably >50Mb/s since with the increase in demand networks would have to provide better consistent speeds to compete but by then, as in when >50% of phones in use are 4G enabled which is years away, 5G will probably be emerging.

It's funny to think that in even just 10 years time the speeds we're getting with 3G and 4G connections now will be laughable. One day we'll all have Gigabit speeds just through our phone connections lol.

Wireless gig to the masses is a long way off. There isn't the spectrum.

LTE can't work miracles, within 18 months id guess we'll be down around 10-15Mb as a good result. Better on vodafone as they enforce real limits.

Eventually three will have to abandon the AYCE deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

ED E wrote: »
    Wireless gig to the masses is a long way off. There isn't the spectrum.

LTE can't work miracles, within 18 months id guess we'll be down around 10-15Mb as a good result. Better on vodafone as they enforce real limits.

Eventually three will have to abandon the AYCE deal.

Didn't say it was coming anytime soon

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Killarney. 9pm

Dat upload!

47Mb up in D2 at the moment. US channel is rarely the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mauAtzori

I am getting from 5Mbps to 10Mbps in both upload and download with iD Mobile in Dublin 8. Ping around 35ms.
    Quite disappointed.
    3G speeds with 48months.ie were higher, but - to be fair - I once scored 16Mbps/10Mbps (Down/Up) with iD back in August.
    Still a far cry from 4G speeds.

mauAtzori wrote: »
    I am getting from 5Mbps to 10Mbps in both upload and download with iD Mobile in Dublin 8. Ping around 35ms.
    Quite disappointed.
    3G speeds with 48months.ie were higher, but - to be fair - I once scored 16Mbps/10Mbps (Down/Up) with iD back in August.

You're paying ~€10/mo? Dont know what you're expecting for that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mauAtzori

You're paying ~€10/mo? Dont know what you're expecting for that....

I am expecting speeds in line with a 4G connection, without aiming for the stars.
    As long as there is no restriction on the connection, I am fine with the price and the performance I am getting.
    It would surely be nice to have faster speeds (a 3x drop is quite significant; I don't know if it is due to volume or issues), but other M(VN)os in Europe can do better for the same price tag (as NOS in Portugal; around 28/17 for 10EUR/mo).

I work remotely so I tend to change SIM cards quite frequently.
    With both 48 and iD Mobile I always had enough bandwidth to work and watch cat videos and I think that's all that matters. Cat videos, I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Ive seen Vodafone speeds around the 100 mark. It was 4G+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

30/10 average around the country with Eir/Meteor.

Doesn't look like they are investing much in their network these days. Head count in the company is been slashed "naturally". I presume they're too focused on getting their figures in shape before their rumored IPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RandomPerson13

Shocked how high my results were today

on 3 in Limerick

Oow3urW.png
    Nm3cB

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

mauAtzori wrote: »

iD Mobile appears to be capped at 20Mbps based on my experience. During off peak times such as early in the day, downloads will generally settle at 2.5MB/s (20Mbps) from my end. When I use a Three SIM in the router, downloads can peak about 5.5MB/s (44Mbps).

While watching a video on YouTube early in the day over an iD Mobile broadband connection, I brought up the 'Stats for Nerds' graph on YouTube and the 'Connection Speed' graph clearly revealed the telltale sustained throughput for most of the video:

vEWlQ8z.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

4g vodafone in cork city

99.51mbps down
    33.74 upload

Advertisement