Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running out of time

Options
  • 20-08-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Not really sure if this should be here or in personal issues but our lease is up at the end of the month and so far we have been unsuccessful in getting a new apartment. We've been to multiple viewings, made multiple offers, we have our references and everything in order so I don't know what the problem is.

For various reasons we can't stay where we are. Does anyone have any tips or advice for how we might get out of this situation?

We have one week left to look roughly and my roommates have exams coming up too (I work full time and they will return to full time work after their exams), I'm genuinely starting to worry we won't have anywhere to live.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ask a mod to move this to the accommodation and property forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

I thought this thread might get more traffic than the accommodation forum, we're renting in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You'll get more tips in the accommodation and property forum so I'll move it there. :)

Have you tried extending your search area a little bit? Upping your rent limit a little bit (if you can)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What area of Dublin are you looking in? Have you looked at other sites other than Daft? Looked in the Evening Herald for adverts? How many rooms are you looking for? What is your budget?

January wrote: »
    What area of Dublin are you looking in? Have you looked at other sites other than Daft? Looked in the Evening Herald for adverts? How many rooms are you looking for? What is your budget?

We'd rather stay central as that was one of the reasons for moving in the first place, so we'd be in a better area with more amenities.

Ideally somewhere along the red line but we're still open to other places and have been viewing them.

We're looking for a 2 bed and our budget is 1,700 which i think is already pretty high. It's not that we can't find somewhere it's just that someone else gets picked instead of us by the L/L.

Thanks for helping :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

City centre is mad with demand at the moment. Move out somewhere even on the dart line and €1,400 will get you a nice 2 bed. Further out into North County Dublin on the train line and you'll be paying even less for a nicer property. Dart or train won't cost you much more than Luas anyway, and you'll be making up for it with what you save in rent. I'll see if I can find you a few examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Along the red line? There's a few (not loads but more than 10) 2 beds in the Inchicore/Kilmainham area which is practically in the city. 1700 euro is quite a generous budget, i would have thought finding a 2 bed would be not as challenging with that budget.

Just reading back, you mention room mate(s) and a 2 bed, are you looking for a 2 bed with more than 2 people living there? I can understand the challenge if this is the case.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Along the red line? There's a few (not loads but more than 10) 2 beds in the Inchicore/Kilmainham area which is practically in the city. 1700 euro is quite a generous budget, i would have thought finding a 2 bed would be not as challenging with that budget.

Just reading back, you mention room mate(s) and a 2 bed, are you looking for a 2 bed with more than 2 people living there? I can understand the challenge if this is the case.

Yeah it's a couple and a single person. The couple would only need one room regardless of what kind of accommodation they're in so I don't see why it's so difficult for L/Ls to rent in this kind of situation.

We wouldn't be willing to move that far out as we are currently closer to the city.

Thanks for looking though, they're quite nice places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Have you had feedback as to why you're not being selected when you do make an offer? I guess 3 ppl in a 2 bed apartment means more wear and tear... might be an issue for some, might not be.

Have you had feedback as to why you're not being selected when you do make an offer? I guess 3 ppl in a 2 bed apartment means more wear and tear... might be an issue for some, might not be.

No, nothing. All we hear (if we hear anything at all) is that another applicant was successful.

And I had considered that but surely it's not that unusual to have 3 people in a 2 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Not really sure if this should be here or in personal issues but our lease is up at the end of the month and so far we have been unsuccessful in getting a new apartment. We've been to multiple viewings, made multiple offers, we have our references and everything in order so I don't know what the problem is.

For various reasons we can't stay where we are. Does anyone have any tips or advice for how we might get out of this situation?

We have one week left to look roughly and my roommates have exams coming up too (I work full time and they will return to full time work after their exams), I'm genuinely starting to worry we won't have anywhere to live.

Thanks!

References and everything !
    List what you have please

While I wouldn't live with a coupe like that myself I think from a LL perspective it would mean less of a risk as you have 3 people paying the rent rather than two so less chance of them falling into arrears and for a negligible increase in wear and tear in reality.

Well the single person is definitely on board to live with the couple so no issue there.

We have all our documents in order: 3 work refs, 2 previous l\l references, passport photos etc. Anything they ask for we supply. We are all in our early twenties and I think that may be what's hurting us.

While I wouldn't live with a coupe like that myself I think from a LL perspective it would mean less of a risk as you have 3 people paying the rent rather than two so less chance of them falling into arrears and for a negligible increase in wear and tear in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

It's just the way the rental market is at the moment - mental. I don't know if this is an option for you, but maybe offer a 50% higher deposit to cover the 'extra' tenant, or to pay 2 months rent in advance.

I was in the same situation (running out of time) last year, and offered 2 months rent in advance. The landlord agreed to rent the place to us on normal rules (deposit + 1 month rent), so I suppose standing out tactics worked in my case.

Normally I wouldn't advocate this, as you are taking some risks by doing that, but "desperate times..."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    And I had considered that but surely it's not that unusual to have 3 people in a 2 bed.
    Some fear that should the couple split, the remaining two may not have enough money to pay the rent. And with the current market, there's no need to even consider taking the risk of complication.

Also, when you say city centre, how far north and south does that include? Do you all work all over the place, or would one side suit you better?

Advertisement