Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iCloud photo backup too big. Help please.

• 20-08-2015 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm familiar with the platform but I have an issue. My daughter purchased a 5C 8gb upgrading from her 4S 16gb. Now, her backup in the cloud which we restored has more than the capacity of the phone allows so it has stalled trying to download the photos to the device. Any options to access the cloud photos and delete the unwanted snaps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Go to iCloud.com on a pc and you should be able to view the photos there when you sign in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

What I would do (provided the 4s is still in your hands) is to import the photos from the 4s to your computer and choose "delete after import" option. Then backup the 4s to iCloud again, resulting in a much smaller backup which should fit on the 5c.

Quick question, is iCloud Photo Library enabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Cheers guys,

We have the 4S so I've enabled the library and gone the "optimize" route which should allow full res snap to be sent to the cloud while storing reduced res images on the handset (still more than adequate for image browsing on the phone ). Currently creating a backup so we will see how it pans out once finished by "checking available" space on the handset after the backup has completed. Not sure if the "optimize" function works on previously taken snaps but we will know soon enough.

Would prefer a feature in the camera app that allowed a selection option to reduce the image size. a 2-3MB file is wasted on a handset screen, particularly on a kids handset where the benefits of a large file will never be needed. I'm sure there are plenty of apps out there to facilitate this so I will sort something out later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

From my experience when you optimise storage it uses about 1/7th of the original size of the camera roll

Advertisement