Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen weightlifting

• 20-08-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi guys, just wondering I've been in the gym awhile and have been lifting, nothing to heavy at all, because I really want to grow taller. I've been doing no overhead movements/squats or dead lifts etc. just bench press, cables, free weights (none overhead unless sitting down) but I'm after getting a workout program off my couch (boxing) and he wants me to do shoulder exercises but it's putting the weights over my head but it's only with a 7.5 kg weight, is this okay??? Or could it effect my growth?! Is it all a myth or is it true? I keep seeing both answer coming up that it is true and that it's not. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's a myth.

Your growth won't be stunted by pressing weights overhead

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Chickenwing47

It's a myth.

Your growth won't be stunted by pressing weights overhead

Thanks :) but for some reason I keep thinking it will because it will be a lot of pressure on my spine and growth plates

Thanks :) but for some reason I keep thinking it will because it will be a lot of pressure on my spine and growth plates

Even if it was true, you're talking about weights that won't trouble your spine or growth plates.

But it isn't true. Have at it.

Even if it was true, you're talking about weights that won't trouble your spine or growth plates.

But it isn't true. Have at it.

Grand thank you very much :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lmao at this retarded myth still circulating

Your later teenage years are the absolute perfect time to start lifting, and heavy. From 16+ your hormones are in full effect and lifting would take full advantage of your testosterone levels. How old are you, OP? If you're 16-17 now, if you lifted and had a solid diet for the next 2-3 years you would go to college in the top 10% of lads, physique wise. Start a proper full split, including squats and deadlifts. Just be sure to not go heavy until you've perfected your form and gotten comfortable and confident in the gym. And eat as much as your parents can possibly provide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If it where true then standing up would stunt your growth as most of your body weight is exerting pressure on your spine/hips/legs/growth plates.
    Your body is a lot than the weight you are lifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I keep seeing both answer coming up that it is true and that it's not. Thanks :)
    That's odd, I googled "weight lifting stunt growth" and invariably it was saying it was nonsense.

The myth is also perpetuated since many professional atheletes who's sports involve strength may tend to be shorter since the shorter limbs are an advantage, like gymnastics. Or if a short guy is in the same weight class he can afford to have packed on more muscle and still match the weight of a taller guy.

But the lifting did not make them short, it just naturally would lead to shorter people typically making their way up the ranks to an elite level. Just like bouncing a ball does not make you tall, even though most pro basketball players are very tall.

rubadub wrote: »
    Just like bouncing a ball does not make you tall, even though most pro basketball players are very tall.

True.

It's the hanging out of the hoop after dunking that stretches them.

Lmao at this retarded myth still circulating

Your later teenage years are the absolute perfect time to start lifting, and heavy. From 16+ your hormones are in full effect and lifting would take full advantage of your testosterone levels. How old are you, OP? If you're 16-17 now, if you lifted and had a solid diet for the next 2-3 years you would go to college in the top 10% of lads, physique wise. Start a proper full split, including squats and deadlifts. Just be sure to not go heavy until you've perfected your form and gotten comfortable and confident in the gym. And eat as much as your parents can possibly provide.

I've just turned 15 four days ago, is this a bit early to start lifting and should I just wait till I'm 16 to start?? Have you any tips on what to eat because this has been frustrating me a lot lately. I've hitting the gym a lot the past few and not sure if im eating enough but it's also the fact that I don't know what to eat because I don't want to gain fat I want my abs to stay visible and improve, if you could give me a few tips even like four types of food to eat a day it would be great. Thanks :)

True.

It's the hanging out of the hoop after dunking that stretches them.

Would hanging out of a pull up bar actually make me taller lol.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I've just turned 15 four days ago, is this a bit early to start lifting and should I just wait till I'm 16 to start?? Have you any tips on what to eat because this has been frustrating me a lot lately. I've hitting the gym a lot the past few and not sure if im eating enough but it's also the fact that I don't know what to eat because I don't want to gain fat I want my abs to stay visible and improve, if you could give me a few tips even like four types of food to eat a day it would be great. Thanks :)

It'd be no harm to start now but just light weight and high reps but when you're 16 or 17 and feel ready, start a proper routine that allows you to hit all muscles and instead of light weight and high reps use heavy weight and low reps. Between now and then you should do some research here and there on routines suitable to your needs, exercises you can do in your gym, how much food and what kinds of foods you can eat so that when you do start you have a solid base of knowledge because, as simple and easy as lifting seems, it can all get almost overwhelmingly detailed when you really get into the nutrition side of things and routines. Keep things simple - unless you get into bodybuilding there's no real need to learn the absolute minute details.

As for food, I can't tell you four types of food to eat each day as I'm in the iifym (if it fits your macros) camp. But, basically, each person is different. Depending on the individual's goals (weight loss, weight maintenance or weight gain) the calorie needs need to be adjusted. Since you want to improve visibility of your abs this requires you to have less calories than your body burns each day - this is what leads to fat loss. So, you'll first have to Google caloric intake calculators to figure out your daily caloric needs, say if you need 2,000 calories for example per day to maintain your current bodyweight you should eat at a deficit to aid losing weight/fat so you would eat about 250-500 calories less than maintenance so eat 1,500-1,750. Provided you continue your normal daily exercise and eat this amount of calories each day consistently you WILL, guaranteed, notice your bodyweight and bodyfat going down. It'll be gradual but once you notice it you'll know you're doing it right, a good way to track this is taking photos of yourself and comparing them every month or two. There's so much more detail I could go into here but since you're just starting out I don't want to put you off and make it all seem daunting. But hopefully you'll understand what I've posted and use it to do further research and start building a base of knowledge on the topic for yourself. If you do biologicy in school you'll learn more about all of this in some chapter.

Also - calories are made up of macronutrients. These are: Fats, Proteins and Carbohydrates. You NEED all three, do not try to avoid and cut out all fat altogether thinking it'll be good for trying to lose bodyfat, but it's important to get healthy fats and complex carbohydrates instead of saturated fats and simple carbohydrates . Examples of good sources of healthy fats are fish, peanut butter, walnuts, almonds. Examples of good sources of complex carbohydrates are oats/porridge (don't like eating porridge for breakfast? learn to), brown rice, potatoes. Examples of good sources of protein are eggs, chicken, beef, fish. As well as knowing the number of calories you need per day, it's also important to know how much of each macronutrient you need and this really helps make it easier to know if you're meeting your food needs for the day.

Since you're on boards you'll be able to ask for help on here with anything you want to know anytime so be sure to. There are also some good sticky threads to help you get started on this and other fitness based forum sections so check them out. Just don't tire yourself out and try to learn everything in a day, just pick up new bits of knowledge here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm lifting since I was 16
    I'm 6'2" tallest ever in my family
    It's just a stupid myth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭umop apisdn

I can bench press two teens no bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Would hanging out of a pull up bar actually make me taller lol.

ya, but you need to be hanging for 5+ mins every day

Squatman wrote: »
    ya, but you need to be hanging for 5+ mins every day

5 minutes 5 times a day.

5 x 5.

5 minutes 5 times a day.

5 x 5.

I've found 5-3-1 to be a much more effective routine.

Advertisement