Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a lease and deposit

Options
  • 21-08-2015 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

I've been renting a house with friends over the summer as I was supposed to be attending college this September. Unfortunately I can't afford to go back to college, between rent in Dublin and fees and everything else it just can't be done.

My friends in the house have someone lined up, another student who can give references and all. My rent has been on time in all but 1 of the 4 months we've been in the house, and it was only 2 days late. Finances at home are terrible and it just can't be done, the deposit is near €600. The house is in perfect working order, there isn't anything broken or out of place from when we moved in.

Is there any reason the landlord/lady wouldn't give me back my deposit ? One of my friends is convinced they don't have to give it back since I will be breaking the lease, would this be true since I've someone of a similar standing lined up and willing to pay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Generally if you can find a person to take over your lease, the LL wont mind and will probably give back your deposit

I would seriously reconsider going back to college though. Its extremely hard to get a job in Ireland without a basic degree now. Nearly everyone of my friends is doing a master/has done a masters, as they are even the norm now. You will find it hard to get a job in the future without a basic degree.

Even if you move back home. Can you find a job? The Dublin job market is by far, the best in Ireland. Plus wages generally are a bit better, even in low paid jobs. Would you consider getting a part time job in Dublin, to cover some costs.

You might think you save money by not going back to college. But you may lose out on future earnings and limit yourself to lower paid jobs. Your finances might be equally bad not year. I would do absolutely everything to stay in Dublin and keep going to college. Would you not try find a cheaper shared room? Have you discussed with your housemates about getting an additional person to reduce the rent?

I see your in TCD. Have you considered applying for BOI student loan. Its 7.5% which is reasonable and flexible to pay back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Generally if you can find a person to take over your lease, the LL wont mind and will probably give back your deposit

I would seriously reconsider going back to college though. Its extremely hard to get a job in Ireland without a basic degree now. Nearly everyone of my friends is doing a master/has done a masters, as they are even the norm now. You will find it hard to get a job in the future without a basic degree.

Even if you move back home. Can you find a job? The Dublin job market is by far, the best in Ireland. Plus wages generally are a bit better, even in low paid jobs. Would you consider getting a part time job in Dublin, to cover some costs.

You might think you save money by not going back to college. But you may lose out on future earnings and limit yourself to lower paid jobs. Your finances might be equally bad not year. I would do absolutely everything to stay in Dublin and keep going to college. Would you not try find a cheaper shared room? Have you discussed with your housemates about getting an additional person to reduce the rent?

I'm only deferring my place, I'm not dropping out completely, I know too well how bad the jobs market is but what can't be done can't be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Usually what happens in this instance is that the landlord agrees to let someone take over your lease, and then the new guy will give you his deposit, and then at the end of the lease, the landlord will return 'your' deposit to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Usually what happens in this instance is that the landlord agrees to let someone take over your lease, and then the new guy will give you his deposit, and then at the end of the lease, the landlord will return 'your' deposit to him.

And then we have threads where people ask how to get their deposit back from the landlord after giving the deposit to a leaving tenant.

The landlord should return the deposit to the OP and take a new deposit from the new tenant. This should be documented as such because otherwise the landlord has no obligation to give the new tenant any deposit back.

This is generally how is has worked in places I have house shared also, new person gives deposit to the person moving out.

This is how the LL's I have dealt with wanted it done though it wasn't behind their backs or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

And then we have threads where people ask how to get their deposit back from the landlord after giving the deposit to a leaving tenant.

The landlord should return the deposit to the OP and take a new deposit from the new tenant. This should be documented as such because otherwise the landlord has no obligation to give the new tenant any deposit back.

If it's done correctly, the new tenant will sign a lease with the landlord. They usually sign again under the name of the previous tenant. Then they'd get a copy also.

Getting a deposit back at the end of your lease should be the exact same as any other letting. Unless you are being brought in and the landlord has no idea who you are.

Advertisement