Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Cluxton

• 21-08-2015 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Its been something that has been bugging me in the media for the last 3 or 4 years, its constantly been said that by pundits and past players that Stephen Cluxton is the greatest goalkeeper of all time and going by the 15 for 15 teams that people are submitting , most people here would agree.

While his kickouts are excellent, I find it difficult to see how he alone orchestrates this great Dublin team as it takes a serious team efffort to create these pockets of space for a goalkeeper to kick it into. Kickouts aside he seems to me to lack qualities that I would expect in a great keeper such as an ability to field a high ball and poor shot stopping abilities (Genuine question, can anyone tell me the last time he made a save in a championship match?).

If anyone can argue that any of the latter is not true, I would like to hear it as I dont see how it merits someone being called the greatest keeper of all time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

I know what you are saying about the team working hard but it is a lot easier to work hard when you know yer man kicking it to you will find you if you work hard.

I don't rate Cluxton outside of his kickouts at all but such is the primacy of the kickout I would still take Cluxton over any other goalkeeper in the land.

To oust him I think you need to get closer to his kickout ability while being able to do all these more traditional things at a much higher level than Cluxton (which most GKs are at imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Charlie Nelligan is the greatest goalie ever. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Kickouts aside, I think John O' Leary was a better goalkeeper. His own kickouts were far ahead of other keepers of his era but well short of Cluxton's.

Before those two you had Paddy Cullen who could be argued was the best of his era.

You've got to hand it to Dublin GAA, basically from the late sixties right up to the present day and counting, they've probably had the top one or two goalkeeper in the country.

It's some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

padd b1975 wrote:
    You've got to hand it to Dublin GAA, basically from the late sixties right up to the present day and counting, they've probably had the top one or two goalkeeper in the country.

Billy Morgan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He's also brilliant under a high ball and at commanding his square and his shot stopping is fine as well.

There isn't one goalkeeper in the game in his time who's had as much influence on his teams overall play as Cluxton has had on Dublin.He adds so much to Dublin apart from doing the basic goalkeeper job.

Shot stopping isn't hugely important anymore (particularly for the top teams) as 95% of goals scored against teams like Dublin are unmissable.It easy to look like a good goalkeeper if you play for a weaker team as you bucket loads of opportunities to make saves and if you miss the odd one nobody minds.

Almost everybody in the game considers Cluxton to be an all time great and the best of his era so they can't all be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I suppose the logical question is who's better than him?!

Kinda agree with the original poster. He doesn't do spectacular stuff which I suppose is what makes him so good.

Martin Furlong was a great goalkeeper. Back then kick outs were a lot simpler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

(Genuine question, can anyone tell me the last time he made a save in a championship match?).

He plays for a team that 90% of the time is steamrollering inferior opposition, just how many big saves do you think he has the chance to make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

He's also brilliant under a high ball and at commanding his square and his shot stopping is fine as well.

There isn't one goalkeeper in the game in his time who's had as much influence on his teams overall play as Cluxton has had on Dublin.He adds so much to Dublin apart from doing the basic goalkeeper job.

Shot stopping isn't hugely important anymore (particularly for the top teams) as 95% of goals scored against teams like Dublin are unmissable.It easy to look like a good goalkeeper if you play for a weaker team as you bucket loads of opportunities to make saves and if you miss the odd one nobody minds.

Almost everybody in the game considers Cluxton to be an all time great and the best of his era so they can't all be wrong.

Agree 100% with this. To say he is not good in the air is rubbish. For someone who doesn’t have a huge physique, he is excellent in the air. Actually, he makes it look so natural and casual. Many goalies can practice shot-stopping and kickouts until they are blue in the face, and they will reach a limited level. But Cluxton has that something special, that’s natural ability.

And there is no doubting the influence that he has on games. People are referring to John O’Leary, Billy Morgan, Martin Furlong etc. As already said, the goalkeeper role back then was so limited. Make a few saves, and kick the ball as hard as you can for the kickouts. Cluxton has brought an element of skill to the goalkeeper role, and he is the best at it. Just like the most skilful forwards stand out as being the best of their generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think it's testament to his greatness that EVERYBODY has picked him for their 15for15. There is literally no competition in that regard.

And as for the epitome of calmness under pressure. I remember what I was like when he struck this... (worst 10min of my life from 60-70, I will never live worse again)

Cluxton_Stephen_winner2011.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Thought Diarmuid Murphy was the best keeper I've seen since I watched football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Billy Morgan?

A fine keeper no doubt, Corks best ever by a country mile.

Unfortunately his big match experience was limited by the neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Cluxton is the GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Its been something that has been bugging me in the media for the last 3 or 4 years, its constantly been said that by pundits and past players that Stephen Cluxton is the greatest goalkeeper of all time and going by the 15 for 15 teams that people are submitting , most people here would agree.

While his kickouts are excellent, I find it difficult to see how he alone orchestrates this great Dublin team as it takes a serious team efffort to create these pockets of space for a goalkeeper to kick it into. Kickouts aside he seems to me to lack qualities that I would expect in a great keeper such as an ability to field a high ball and poor shot stopping abilities (Genuine question, can anyone tell me the last time he made a save in a championship match?).

If anyone can argue that any of the latter is not true, I would like to hear it as I dont see how it merits someone being called the greatest keeper of all time.

You lost me after that.

He's been going a long time now Cluxton so its easy to forget he was/is a very fine shot stopper. Lightning quick off his line too.

He has 5 All Stars. 2011 and 2013 were probably for his kickouts/dead ball exploits. 2002, 2006, 2007 no one even noticed the kickout ffs!!!

corny wrote: »
    You lost me after that.

He's been going a long time now Cluxton so its easy to forget he was/is a very fine shot stopper. Lightning quick off his line too.

He has 5 All Stars. 2011 and 2013 were probably for his kickouts/dead ball exploits. 2002, 2006, 2007 no one even noticed the kickout ffs!!!

Thats a really important aspect of his play aswell .I've seen numerous times where he's closed off the angle for a forward and has left him with no choice to fist the ball over the bar rather than go for a goal.Proactive goalkeepers like Cluxton are much better than goalies who stay at home and hope to save shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Cluxton 2002 Season
    Played Leinster
    Conceded 1 goal to Wexford
    Clean Sheet against Laois
    Conceded 2 goals to Meath

Clean sheet to Donegal in Qualifiers
    Lose in Semi1-13 to 1-14 to Armagh

Total 4 Goals in 5 games.

All Ireland Winners Armagh
    2 Games against Tyrone - 1 Goal Conceded
    Ulster Semi Fermanagh- 1 Goal Conceded
    Final to Donegal 1 Goal Conceded
    Qualifiers Clean sheet to Sligo
    Semi - 1 Goal conceded to Dublin

Final- Clean Sheet against Kerry

4 Goals in 6 Games

Nominees Declan O Keefe (Kerry)- Cluxton (Dublin) Kevin O'Dwyer (Cork)- Bizzarely who shipped 3-19 to Kerry in the Semifinal

Armagh robbed.

Dublin - Clean Sheet through Leinster
    Kerry -Clean sheet through Munster
    Mayo ship three in Connaght

Kerry ship one to Armagh in the Quarters
    Dublin Hammer westmeath
    Mayo Clean sheet against Laois

Kerry Clean sheet against Cork Semi final
    Dublin go home shipping one to Mayo
    Mayo concede two goals to Dublin

Kerry beat Mayo 4-15 to 3-05

Nominees- Cluxton- (Dublin) Alan Quirke (Cork) Gary Connaghtan (Westmeath) - Like- what??

Inexorably Cluxton wins a second all star against neither all finalists nominated.

Kerry conceded one to Cork in Munster final final
    Dublin concede 1 to Laois in Leinster final

Dublin beat Derry by three points- Clean sheet
    Kerry beat Monaghan- concede one goal

Kerry beat Dublin in the semi and keep a clean sheet

Kerry beat Cork in the final 3-13 to 1-09

All Star Nominees
    Stephen Cluxton (Dublin) Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry) Brendan Murphy

Cluxton wins his third pity trophy.

Cluxton is a good player. His kick outs are accurate.

He is a average short stopper, a good pressure kicker, adequate in the air.

To say he is the greatest ever is laughable.

He deserved, as I see it, two all stars, the years he won. The rest I have no idea how he was even nominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Let 5 goals in against Meath in Leinster semi final v Meath in 2010, didn't stop the media fawning though- think it was airbrushed over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Stephen Cluxton intercounty career in numbers

-80 League games played
    -75 Championship games played
    -57 League goals conceded
    -47 Championship points scored
    -45 Championship goals conceded
    -44 Championship clean sheets
    -38 League clean sheets
    -18 League points scored
    -11 Leinster medals
    -5 All Stars
    -3 National League medals
    -2 All Ireland medals
    -1 Leinster U21 medal
    -1 Leinster minor medal

Cluxton 2002 Season
    Played Leinster
    Conceded 1 goal to Wexford
    Clean Sheet against Laois
    Conceded 2 goals to Meath

Clean sheet to Donegal in Qualifiers
    Lose in Semi1-13 to 1-14 to Armagh

Total 4 Goals in 5 games.

All Ireland Winners Armagh
    2 Games against Tyrone - 1 Goal Conceded
    Ulster Semi Fermanagh- 1 Goal Conceded
    Final to Donegal 1 Goal Conceded
    Qualifiers Clean sheet to Sligo
    Semi - 1 Goal conceded to Dublin

Final- Clean Sheet against Kerry

4 Goals in 6 Games

Nominees Declan O Keefe (Kerry)- Cluxton (Dublin) Kevin O'Dwyer (Cork)- Bizzarely who shipped 3-19 to Kerry in the Semifinal

Armagh robbed.

Dublin - Clean Sheet through Leinster
    Kerry -Clean sheet through Munster
    Mayo ship three in Connaght

Kerry ship one to Armagh in the Quarters
    Dublin Hammer westmeath
    Mayo Clean sheet against Laois

Kerry Clean sheet against Cork Semi final
    Dublin go home shipping one to Mayo
    Mayo concede two goals to Dublin

Kerry beat Mayo 4-15 to 3-05

Nominees- Cluxton- (Dublin) Alan Quirke (Cork) Gary Connaghtan (Westmeath) - Like- what??

Inexorably Cluxton wins a second all star against neither all finalists nominated.

Kerry conceded one to Cork in Munster final final
    Dublin concede 1 to Laois in Leinster final

Dublin beat Derry by three points- Clean sheet
    Kerry beat Monaghan- concede one goal

Kerry beat Dublin in the semi and keep a clean sheet

Kerry beat Cork in the final 3-13 to 1-09

All Star Nominees
    Stephen Cluxton (Dublin) Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry) Brendan Murphy

Cluxton wins his third pity trophy.

Cluxton is a good player. His kick outs are accurate.

He is a average short stopper, a good pressure kicker, adequate in the air.

To say he is the greatest ever is laughable.

He deserved, as I see it, two all stars, the years he won. The rest I have no idea how he was even nominated.

Name me the goalies in his era who have been better than him?

There are only 2 I'd have close to him Connaughton and Diarmuid Murphy and apart from them he's well ahead of the rest.

His kick outs are miles better than almost every other goalkeeper of his era and the kick out is the most important aspect of goalkeeping particularly if a team has a kick out strategy and just doesn't want their keeper to lamp the ball down the middle repeatedly.

His Championship record of just over half a goal per game conceded is pretty impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Name me the goalies in his era who have been better than him?

What's being contested is that he's the best ever, not the best of his era.

What's being contested is that he's the best ever, not the best of his era.

There aren't too many from any era you could rate ahead of him either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

What about Hearty of Armagh?
    Short n long kickouts.
    Scary, big and reliable keeper under a high ball.
    Good passer from hand n foot.
    Quick off his line and a good shot stopper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Paul Durcan is every bit as influential and solid under a high ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Paul Durcan is every bit as influential and solid under a high ball.
    He didnt adjust his positioning properly before Geaneys shot in the finał. When he dropped he dropped parallel to his line instead of by adjusting being able to drop and cover that shot as it came across him. Dont see him as being a great shot stopper. Pretty sure seen his positioning caught out badly on other occasions.

Advertisement