Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Computer Science UCD

Options
  • 21-08-2015 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey just got offered this course today.

Haven't received any information about it yet and the start date is pretty soon. Anyone else doing this course and if so, have you heard anything else after your were offered the course and accepted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

Hey,
    I got accepted into the H.Dip Computer Science (Conversion) I'm not sure if that's the same course that you're doing. The only thing I've received from the coordinator so far is that orientation is on the 3rd of September and class starts on the 7th. You also need to have a laptop for it apparently and they send out some links of recommended specifications and stuff which were useful.

All in all most of the information I've got about the course if from here and past pupil experience. The conversion course anyway is supposed to be very intensive, but it covers a wide range of the topic in computer science quite quickly and if you do the work you are well rewarded. Timetable seems to be 9-5 from what I've heard and maybe even longer most days, but overall people say they had a great experience on the course and I'm really looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SilverSideUp

They're deliberately not releasing much info just to build up the excitement levels :) Would be nice to be able to register though.

UCD must be monitoring this thread coz I just got my registration details :) sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Yeah me too. Timetable isn't too bad. Also has your timetable appeared on the google calendar? Mine doesn't seem to be on it.

11 am Start on Monday. Nice. Don't see anything showing on Google Calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

For anyone looking for the timetable it's here:

http://www.csi.ucd.ie/files/MSc(Conv)%202015-2016-v2.pdf

Nice link. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brazilaa

Hey do we need a laptop that we will need to bring to class in this course, or will access to a computer at home do?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

brazilaa wrote: »
    Hey do we need a laptop that we will need to bring to class in this course, or will access to a computer at home do?

You'd want to bring a laptop.

First week are just lectures, but second week include practicals. For these laptop access would be... useful. You can borrow laptops from IT or the Library in a pinch; but at best it's a terrible solution.

You'd want to bring a laptop.

First week are just lectures, but second week include practicals. For these laptop access would be... useful. You can borrow laptops from IT or the Library in a pinch; but at best it's a terrible solution.

Hey thanks for the reply. Ill just get a laptop then. Any idea what laptop would be best for a course like this, like is there any components I need to ensure the laptop has?

Would you suggest a Mac or just an ordinary laptop will do?

• Advertisement

brazilaa wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the reply. Ill just get a laptop then. Any idea what laptop would be best for a course like this, like is there any components I need to ensure the laptop has?

Would you suggest a Mac or just an ordinary laptop will do?

Some people swear by Macs, but be aware that there are inevitable issues with proprietary software. High Ram, as usual. Everything else is probably optional. Long battery life isn't terribly important as all the rooms now have a decent supply of sockets. Weight might be an issue; but unless you are going for solid state (which is expensive) there's not a huge amount you can do about that.

Oh and optical drive is unnecessary (all software is downloadable) - provided they fix the comp sci website, that is.

Has anyone been able to access the modules in moodle? I can view them but its asking for an enrolment key

I spoke to our Networks lecturer about this today. He said he'll give us the enrollment key at our next Networks class.

I spoke to our Networks lecturer about this today. He said he'll give us the enrollment key at our next Networks class.

Cheers, you haven't been able to get into any of the other modules have you?

I haven't been able to hack them yet :)

Hey does anyone have the access codes for COMP30650 Networks... and COMP47340 Comp thinking on moodle.

Can you pm them if you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ThatsGrand

Probably a longshot now, but any feedback on this course?

Im considering applying for the 2017/18 year from an engineering background.
    I'd love to know what the course is like, and how the prospects are afterwards?

ThatsGrand wrote: »
    Probably a longshot now, but any feedback on this course?

Im considering applying for the 2017/18 year from an engineering background.
    I'd love to know what the course is like, and how the prospects are afterwards?

I've known a few people in this course. It seems to pull no punches in terms of workload. People who stay the course all seem to find work afterwards (IBM, Google, etc.) Some people enter the course and get swamped early however, particularly seems to be the case if they are returning to education after a long hiatus.

Advertisement