Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Upgrade Failure

Options
  • 21-08-2015 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Sisters ACER Laptop got the Win 10 Upgrade notification so she proceeded to go ahead with it but it hung at some point and failed to complete.

Laptop as a result would not start after that. It would boot to the ACER splash screen and the screen would display "Preparing Automatic Repair" it would then go blank and repeat the same thing over and over as if in a loop.

It would not give the option to get to safe mode or BIOS and would not boot from CD or USB.

I eventually got to the option to "Refresh the PC" and as there was no mission critical data to worry about I opted to do a full refresh wiping all data, the lappy is working fine now but it's back on Win 8.1 which I assume the refresh used from the recovery partition.

My question is, will the offer to upgrade to Win 10 eventually return at some stage or how will she avail of the free upgrade now?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

My question is, will the offer to upgrade to Win 10 eventually return at some stage or how will she avail of the free upgrade now?
    Once Windows Update has applied all it's updates, the offer should return, but you can go ahead and "jump the queue" by downloading the Media Creation Tool, and selecting the "Upgrade This PC" option.

But it would probably be a good idea to go to the Acer website and install any updates listed for that particular laptop first.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You can check whether you are running the 32-but or 64-bit version of WIn8 by pressing WindowsKey-Pause or opening File Explorer, right-clicking on This PC and selecting Properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

@gadgetman, have exactly the same situation on my acer laptop. How did you get to the 'refresh' option. I can get into the bios but it will not boot from usb.
    Ta for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bodonnell wrote: »
    @gadgetman, have exactly the same situation on my acer laptop. How did you get to the 'refresh' option. I can get into the bios but it will not boot from usb.
    Ta for any advice

I used Alt + F10 to get to the refresh screen and the refresh restored perfectly to Win 8. I then done all the updates and finally ran the file Bayberry linked to above and it upgraded to Win 10. No issues at all and it's working fine now on 10.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Mine actually updated fine to w10 & was fine for over a week but then just would not load. I would get the acer logo then 'automatic repair' notification then nothing, sometimes I would get a cursor others not, I tried alt + f10 but nothing happened.

Mine actually updated fine to w10 & was fine for over a week but then just would not load. I would get the acer logo then 'automatic repair' notification then nothing, sometimes I would get a cursor others not, I tried alt + f10 but nothing happened.

You do the Alt + F10 at startup just like you used to do the F8 for Safe Mode.

You need to do it before you get the 'automatic repair' notification.

• Advertisement

That's when I was doing it. Think hd may be f**cked, even though it is only installed about a month, I removed it & plugged it into a docking station, pc could see the drive & assigned it a letter but it could not access it

That's when I was doing it. Think hd may be f**cked, even though it is only installed about a month, I removed it & plugged it into a docking station, pc could see the drive & assigned it a letter but it could not access it

I thought the drive was screwed too but it wasn't and I had to try the Alt+F10 a few times before it got it.

Ok, will give it a few more tries.
    Ty

Ok, will give it a few more tries.
    Ty

Actually in my frustration at the time I did remove the battery and hold the power button for a few seconds, left it for about 5 Mins, put the battery back in, powered up and done the Alt+F10 but am not sure if it was on that attempt it worked.

What key get's you to the BIOS on your ACER?

F2. As a side note mine will not power on unless connected to mains despite battery showing to be fully charged!

• Advertisement

F2. As a side note mine will not power on unless connected to mains despite battery showing to be fully charged!

Was it at that prior to the upgrade to 10?

no, but I did press the battery reset button while trying to get w8 or 10 to reload

Advertisement