Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingston 4GB Micro SD card only has about 400 KB space?

Options
  • 21-08-2015 1:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Hello!

(Note: I'm running Windows 10).

I have TWO Kingston 4GB Micro SD cards. They are definitely not counterfeit. I used one of them regularly for a few months and I formatted it to work with a few different types of devices a few times and the last time I formatted it back to its original state on my computer it said that the available space was 400 KB out of 400 KB! I tried reformatting it multiple times with no luck.

The strange thing is, I inserted my other Kingston 4 GB Micro SD card which I had rarely used and it also said 400 KB out of 400 KB.
    Note: I have an 8 GB (Not a Kingston) Micro SD card that works properly.
    I had been using a USB adapter to put my Micro SD cards into my computer so I tried using a Micro SD to SD card adapter and it still said 400 KB out of 400 KB...
    I've searched online and I read something about clearing partitions but I'm confused.

Please help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Search for Disk Management, find the two USB drives, there will likely be a 3.6gb "Unallocated Space".

If its like that, right click on the 400kb partition and " Resize", drag the slider all the way to the right and click okay, reformat and it should be cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Well, this is embarrassing.

I have a device that requires you to format the Micro SD card on your computer before you can use it for the device. I had it formatted for the device but then I tried to format it back to its original state and that's when it said 400 KB max space on it. A few minutes after creating this thread I decided to try formatting it for the other device and I found an option named "reformat" and in the description it said it formats the Micro SD card back to its original state. It worked.

To reduce the pointlessness of this thread, does anyone know why it affected both of my Kingston Micro SD cards despite the fact I never used one of them? And why wouldn't formatting it by right clicking it and clicking "format" work?

Apologies to the moderators for this. It looks ridiculous but it's true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Search for Disk Management, find the two USB drives, there will likely be a 3.6gb "Unallocated Space".

If its like that, right click on the 400kb partition and " Resize", drag the slider all the way to the right and click okay, reformat and it should be cool.

Yeah, I tried that already but it wouldn't work. Thanks though.

Advertisement