Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer : Ban

Options
  • 21-08-2015 8:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Hi DRP,

I was banned from Soccer yesterday for falling foul of the "no chat" rule in the humour thread.

Context :

Someone posted a picture of Michael Owen, with a quote underneath mocking him for something he said during commentary.

Michael Owen is currently sporting a rather silly looking handlebar moustache, which is visible in the picture.

I posted
    dat tache do

In plain text.

Now, I have two issues with being banned for this for falling foul of the "no chat rule".

A. I quite clearly was not chatting, my comment was not directed at another user, nor was any response expected. Anyway, I read the Mod Note in the first post of the Humour Thread before posting, and it does not state that plain text posts are not allowed. I was not attempting to engage anyone on chat, as the point B will illustrate.

B. The phrase "dat XXXXX do" is a meme, intended to be humourous. My comment was intended to be a sardonic commentary on his facial hirsuteness, for the sake of a few cheap laughs. The moderator, in his PM to me, has said that he does know the meme, but still considers the post to be chat based.

Just to preempt the question, yes I've PMd the moderator and he has said he is upholding the ban on the basis of the above.

So I would like a CMod to let me know if they agree with the ban, and if they do then perhaps they could explain the reasoning.

I fail to understand why a well known meme is not allowed to be posted in the humour thread.

Is it because it was in plain text?

Would it be different if I'd shopped a line of text on to the picture which was already posted?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I'll cut to the chase here, as your ban is due to expire within an hour or so and if I don't come to a conclusion before that time the opportunity to overturn within the system it is no longer available to me

I'm taking this at face value:

B. The phrase "dat XXXXX do" is a meme, intended to be humourous.
    On that basis I will overturn the ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement