Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rj11 to rj45 cable

Options
  • 21-08-2015 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get a telephone cable with an rj11 plug on one end and rj45 on the other? Dublin City centre would be best but not be all and end all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not sure where you'd get such a thing, but you can just plug an RJ-11 plug into an RJ-45 socket no problem if that's what you're trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Alun wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you'd get such a thing, but you can just plug an RJ-11 plug into an RJ-45 socket no problem if that's what you're trying to do.

new house pre wired with cat5e cable and rj45 sockets... our telephone has a telephone cable with rj11 plug.

might just try lashing the rj11 plug in then

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It will eventually bend the pins.

Passive adapters for this purpose exist, any networking supplier would have them. Other options is just crimp one yourself

L1011 wrote: »

Passive adapters for this purpose exist, any networking supplier would have them. Other options is just crimp one yourself

any links? idea where I could source one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

L1011 wrote: »
    True, it may over time bend the outer pins, but if you only ever use that socket for phone connections it won't matter. If you plan on swapping things around in the future and using it for a data connection it would be a better idea to use an adapter, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

True, it may over time bend the outer pins, but if you only ever use that socket for phone connections it won't matter. If you plan on swapping things around in the future and using it for a data connection it would be a better idea to use an adapter, yes.

+1 ... Every office I've worked in has every phone/data point cabled as CAT 5e/6 terminated on RJ45 points, just in case you may want to use it as a data point.

If you are plugging in/out constantly, then you will start to have problems, but if it's left in the socket for months/years on end, then no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would have bought a bag off woodcomm in the past - that'll be cheaper by far if you only need one.

Advertisement