Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tolls for Motorcycles

• 21-08-2015 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭

Copied this over from: http://www.magireland.org/2011/miscellaneous/2012-bike-tolls/

Checked for any changes and additions so the below is correct for today.

Motorway
    |
    Amount
    |Comment
    Dublin EastLink|
    Free
    |Use leftmost lane/cycle lane
    Dublin WestLink (M50 Barrier Free tolling)|
    Free
    |
    M1 Gormanston/Monasterboice|
    €1.00
    |
    M3 Clonee to Kells|
    €0.70
    |Two tolls, €0.70 each
    M4 Kilcock/Enfield/Kinnegad|
    €1.50
    |
    M6 Galway to Ballinasloe|
    €1.00
    |
    M7/M8 Portlaoise|
    €1.00
    |
    N8 Rathcormac/Fermoy Bypass|
    €1.00
    |
    N25 Waterford Bypass|
    €1.00
    |
    Limerick Southern Ring Road (Limerick Tunnel)|
    €1.00
    |
    Dublin Port Tunnel Southbound|
    €10.00
    |Monday to Friday 0600 - 1000
    Dublin Port Tunnel Northbound|
    €10.00
    |Monday to Friday 1600 - 1900
    Dublin Port Tunnel|
    €3.00
    |All other times including Public Holidays

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Bring a sh1t load of copper coins with you....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWg-mozGsU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Only time ive not just gone around a barrier is when i had full luggage on.
    Damn Vstrom side cases stopped me fitting so i ended up paying.

Its not because I don't want to give them a euro, its because the absolute pain in the bollox getting gloves off to rummage through pockets then getting the gloves back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Only an upstart would not pay a toll, I blame the parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

goodlad wrote: »
    Only time ive not just gone around a barrier is when i had full luggage on.
    Damn Vstrom side cases stopped me fitting so i ended up paying.

Its not because I don't want to give them a euro, its because the absolute pain in the bollox getting gloves off to rummage through pockets then getting the gloves back on.

What actually happens if you drive around a barrier without paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Your hands stay warm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Never paid one myself just sneak up the side it's not like they will chase you down for a euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I have the habit of always carrying a euro in a pocket but it seems that's not enough to cover all possibilities. It's good that the main ones in Dublin are free and I try to avoid all others but you never know.
    Never paid one myself just sneak up the side it's not like they will chase you down for a euro.

Another guy told me he has never paid a toll either and he's been biking for years, never heard anything of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭honda boi

Well being the law abiding citizen I am ,I pay my 70c toll each way everyday :p
    I wrap the money in tinfoil and put it in the dash compartment of the bike,so no need to take gloves off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They save them up and ask for it in one go. Plenty of carvan driver's get caught by this, they go through the bucket lane and throw in the car rate when they should pay commercial. But I suppose the loose screw on the tax disc might make it harder to get bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Del2005 wrote: »
    They save them up and ask for it in one go. Plenty of carvan driver's get caught by this, they go through the bucket lane and throw in the car rate when they should pay commercial. But I suppose the loose screw on the tax disc might make it harder to get bikes.

Yet there are folks on here that have never paid a toll in their life .....

• Advertisement

Ye pay enough in road tax...(most on here have a car too i'm guessing..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I've only ever went through a toll once. Generally try to avoid motorway riding even while commuting. Waaaay to boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Avoid tolls myself. I can see how lads get away with it passing through a toll every so often but if a lad was commuting 5 days a week and passed the toll at the same time every morning or evening I could see them getting caught?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Avoid tolls myself. I can see how lads get away with it passing through a toll every so often but if a lad was commuting 5 days a week and passed the toll at the same time every morning or evening I could see them getting caught?

I knew a guy who did that, every day on the m50!

I drove around a couple of times. Absolute pain in the arse taking wet gloves off that you took the time to tuck up properly to keep you dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭honda boi

Can we use those toll tags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

I remember the time when you paid the toll as a biker on the M50. I had a special tube and jig on the handlebars that I filled before I set off with the correct toll. Only 1 time I got to the toll barrier and 1 piece of coinage had popped out and that caught me out speed wise.

Best ting ever those cameras, free travel is great!

honda boi wrote: »

You used to be able to, I know people who had them on the M50. No idea now since the m50 is free. Assume so.

honda boi wrote: »

We should do what they did in the UK when they started charging bikes on one of the major bridges. A group rode up with £20 notes and took ages to get through, unfortunately the toll is still there but are least it showed how stupid tolling bikes is. Only good thing is that at least we can enjoy the free alternative to the tolled motorways, unlike in a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Del2005 wrote: »
    We should do what they did in the UK when they started charging bikes on one of the major bridges. A group rode up with £20 notes and took ages to get through, unfortunately the toll is still there but are least it showed how stupid tolling bikes is. Only good thing is that at least we can enjoy the free alternative to the tolled motorways, unlike in a car.

Bridge into Wales dropped the charge for bikes. Reckon a day out, hit 3 or 4 tolls with 50 bikes and all loose change they will start to think differently

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Any one use the port tunnel on the bike......I have to head towards swords now in the morn from the south side and seriously considering biting the bullet re the 3€ toll just to be on time re work.

• Advertisement

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Any one use the port tunnel on the bike......I have to head towards swords now in the morn from the south side and seriously considering biting the bullet re the 3€ toll just to be on time re work.

Yeah, it's fúcking amazing with a loud exhaust. Used to use it to the airport on a friday at rush hour from the city center, makes an amazing difference to journey time

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Drumorig

Fiskar wrote: »
    I remember the time when you paid the toll as a biker on the M50. I had a special tube and jig on the handlebars that I filled before I set off with the correct toll. Only 1 time I got to the toll barrier and 1 piece of coinage had popped out and that caught me out speed wise.

Best ting ever those cameras, free travel is great!
    I used to pull up on the left before the toll & wait for a truck, they had to use the left lane so I'd slide up on their left hand side when they were paying the toll :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Drumorig wrote: »
    I used to pull up on the left before the toll & wait for a truck, they had to use the left lane so I'd slide up on their left hand side when they were paying the toll :D

A lad was killed doing that a few year back on the m50

jay48 wrote: »
    A lad was killed doing that a few year back on the m50

I remember that, truck drove over his head apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Drumorig

ouch, nasty :(

Cienciano wrote: »

How...????:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Why not just pay the toll, same as if you were in a car??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Cienciano wrote: »

I saw the same in stillorgan years ago when a bin truck ran over a women's head after she tripped pushing a pram. Still gives me the creeps. I just pay the tolls and be done with it. We get away with it in other areas.

How...????:confused:

Trucks are big vehicles with severely limited visibility and anyone going up beside one is taking their life in their own hands to save a few Euro, for the person in the M50, or a few seconds, for the hundreds of cyclists who get caught under them in all cities.

Just stay away from large vehicles as there's nothing worth risking your life to ride close beside one. Be thankful that the majority of large vehicle drivers are highly skilled or else we'd have way more carnage on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Rarely use it, but stuck for time I used the Port Tunnel this evening and reckoned I cut my usual route between Balbriggan and Stillorgan by nearly 20 mins.
    Use the M1 toll the odd time, handy for now that it's currently a euro, usually stick my coin with blutac to the tank rather than fiddle for change anytime I'm heading further than Dundalk, otherwise it the old roads

Advertisement