Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef Data Genomics Programme (2015-2020)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Rose Goulding, Beef Programme Manager with NCBC and Doreen Corridan of the Roundhill limousin herd are sisters.

And castleview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Rose Goulding, Beef Programme Manager with NCBC and Doreen Corridan of the Roundhill limousin herd are sisters.

And Goulding Angus and Hereford is a brother so all family involved in pedigree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I thought the bit on HZJ was a bit pointless too seeing as he stopped giving semen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

When does the scheme end
    My cows are billed for 2019 now fingers crossed. Could I get out once the calving finishes in 2019 or would there be a penalty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Tomjim wrote: »
    When does the scheme end
    My cows are billed for 2019 now fingers crossed. Could I get out once the calving finishes in 2019 or would there be a penalty?

For most people it finishes on Dec 31st 2020. By "get out" do you mean sell all your cattle?
    You'll need to have 50% of your reference no of 4/5 star genotyped cows/heifers on Oct 31st 2020 or you'll have to pay back all the money.
    I think if you sell all the cows next year and have enough animals to genotype for the last two years of the scheme you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

Can you view the info for the carbon navigator for a previous year online.

Aravo wrote: »
    Can you view the info for the carbon navigator for a previous year online.

Yeah, on the desktop version under services, change 2017 to 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

tanko wrote:
    Yeah, on the desktop version under services, change 2017 to 2016.

And will this pull up the info you previously inputted for housing, fert and slurry

Aravo wrote: »
    And will this pull up the info you previously inputted for housing, fert and slurry

Yeah.

• Advertisement

Seen castleview have 3 bulls in top 8 for lim replacement with 67k calves!

Castleview always aimed at replacement rather than terminal. Knowing the yard they come from they will represent good value at the sale in roscrea

Haven't used Gringo but hes hardly a good choice to be keeping replacements from.
    ZAG is a super bull, great muscle and shape to his calves, have two heifers off him calving in the spring, hopefully they'll have some milk.
    I see the new PG catalouges are up on their facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I just can't take to zag. I don't know what it is. Some of his offspring have terrible heads and stay very small. Herd from a few that he had a bit of a dodge gene where some of his sons have no rod. What's his daughters like as calves ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I just can't take to zag. I don't know what it is. Some of his offspring have terrible heads and stay very small. Herd from a few that he had a bit of a dodge gene where some of his sons have no rod. What's his daughters like as calves ?

Daughters are good as calves and as cows but I haven't had a bad bull calf off him either. I have three ZAG heifers calved and they are doing a good job on their calves.

One of them calved last November to KYA and I sold the bull calf in July. He was butty enough but weighed 280 KG's and made €720. I only used KYA cause she was muscley and I was worried at her calving at 23 months. She spat him out.

Cow and calf

461252.JPG

Before sale

461253.JPG

The others calved unaided as well to Ulsan.

tanko wrote: »
    For most people it finishes on Dec 31st 2020. By "get out" do you mean sell all your cattle?
    You'll need to have 50% of your reference no of 4/5 star genotyped cows/heifers on Oct 31st 2020 or you'll have to pay back all the money.
    I think if you sell all the cows next year and have enough animals to genotype for the last two years of the scheme you'll be ok.

Could you explain this a little more. I was just reading up on what my requirements are. I need 10 for 2020. Are you saying that I can sell my cows say September 2019 and for 2020 if I had 10 four star /5 star heifers on the farm in 2020 I would be ok?

Could you explain this a little more. I was just reading up on what my requirements are. I need 10 for 2020. Are you saying that I can sell my cows say September 2019 and for 2020 if I had 10 four star /5 star heifers on the farm in 2020 I would be ok?

You need 10 on Oct 31st 2020 which have to be genotyped and at least 16 months old at that stage.
    You also need the usual number of animals to genotype in 2020 as youve done every other year of the scheme.

so if I sold cows and bought 10 black white heifers off dairy herd say in Dec 2019 and kept them a year I would be ok?

How many animals do you need to genotype every year?

I think it's about 8. I think 20 is my reference number

• Advertisement

Are you sure its not 12??

(60% x 20) is 12.

I reckon if you buy in 15 heifers in Dec 2019 which are 4/5 star at that stage and also at least 6 months old then, genotype them and as long as they stay 4/5 star after genotyping and at least 10 of them survive until Oct 31st 2020 you'll be grand.

The big problem with buying heifers from the dairy herd is that dairy farmers often dont know or dont care what bull the heifers are off when theyre registering them which can cause problems with the genomics scheme.

I think you should ring ICBF and talk to them about your options with this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

I think it's about 8. I think 20 is my reference number

If you have a reference size of 20 and must genotype 60% every year, you'll have to genotype 12 animals.

Are you sure its not 12??

(60% x 20) is 12.

I reckon if you buy in 15 heifers in Dec 2019 which are 4/5 star at that stage and also at least 6 months old then, genotype them and as long as they stay 4/5 star after genotyping and at least 10 of them survive until Oct 31st 2020 you'll be grand.

The big problem with buying heifers from the dairy herd is that dairy farmers often dont know or dont care what bull the heifers are off when theyre registering them which can cause problems with the genomics scheme.

I think you should ring ICBF and talk to them about your options with this scheme.

Folks, we are now into the FOURTH year of this 'wonderful' scheme. Amazed how many people still do not know the T & Cs of it though

Folks, we are now into the FOURTH year of this 'wonderful' scheme. Amazed how many people still do not know the T & Cs of it though

Proves we all followed the cash and signed up to a pup..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Found a '15 book. Fair play with their ch picks but they could have just said pick all the french bred ones, they're better than ours :pac:

ywMB7Dth.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

so if I sold cows and bought 10 black white heifers off dairy herd say in Dec 2019 and kept them a year I would be ok?
    I need to buy in some heifers with stars :rolleyes: can I insert a tag number anywhere and get the stars of an animal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I need to buy in some heifers with stars :rolleyes: can I insert a tag number anywhere and get the stars of an animal?

ICBF animal search

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/

Sure everyone cant be a know it all like you with your smart ar$e comments every now and again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

MOD NOTE;
    Easy on the back seat modding folks

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Sure everyone cant be a know it all like you with your smart ar$e comments every now and again.

Cheers. I wasn't being smart. However, I've never heard so much confusion about a scheem that should have been simple. It has proveen far from it

Cheers. I wasn't being smart. However, I've never heard so much confusion about a scheem that should have been simple. It has proveen far from it

Sorry, i was out of line there.

Sorry, i was out of line there.

Apology accepted. Would you kno many people who have left this scheme Tanko?

Last I saw there were around 1500...it will be interesting how many will fail the 25 percent rule his year and will thee folks walk away especially I'd 50 percent is too far away.

Bellview wrote: »
    Last I saw there were around 1500...it will be interesting how many will fail the 25 percent rule his year and will thee folks walk away especially I'd 50 percent is too far away.

20 percent this year. We have 70% at the moment

20 percent this year. We have 70% at the moment

In spring there were around 2000 that were failing the 20 per cent according to journal. It would be interesting how many are under 50 percent as this will be the hard threshold for a lot of folks

• Advertisement

Yeah, know few that have left. Lads with small numbers who got fed up with stars going up and down.
    Was talking to my advisor today, asked about the getting rid of cows option.
    He reckons you have to keep one cow to stay in the scheme.
    He also thinks that changes will be made to the next scheme to favour terminal traits a bit more.

Bellview wrote: »
    In spring there were around 2000 that were failing the 20 per cent according to journal. It would be interesting how many are under 50 percent as this will be the hard threshold for a lot of folks
    Weneeded one more for 2018, transferred 1 from my herd to the suckler herd and we should be ok, we have enough for 2020 but they are under 15 months at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

if you loose a calf do you get compenstated?

50HX wrote: »
    if you loose a calf do you get compenstated?

If you're unfortunate to lose a calf you are not penalised for not being able to compleat there docility n quality when they reach 5 months. Just remember to register the calf as dead before taikin it to the knackry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

If you're unfortunate to lose a calf you are not penalised for not being able to compleat there docility n quality when they reach 5 months. Just remember to register the calf as dead before taikin it to the knackry

thanks for that

i thought there was a small compensation payment for loss similar to the BVD

• Advertisement

50HX wrote: »
    thanks for that

i thought there was a small compensation payment for loss similar to the BVD

No compensation unfortunately, however, no penalty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Agriland have a brief explanation from ICBF on why bulls stars rise and fall.
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/cattle-breeding-why-did-that-bulls-figures-fall/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just a quick reminder that the carbon navigator closing date is Sunday so tomorrow is the last chance to post though you can still do it online with ICBF till Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Got text today to say that I was on target for numbers for 31st October.

Got 2 tags yesterday for twins born about a month ago. Will have to run them in....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

KatyMac wrote: »
    Got text today to say that I was on target for numbers for 31st October.
    same as that well over quota anyway so will be going more terminal with ai next year

High bike wrote:
    same as that well over quota anyway so will be going more terminal with ai next year

Lucky enough here with stars and we'll over for this cycle ... the learning this year for me is to be well over on the 5 star as cows I had to cull were 5 star as one with neosporis another got hurt etc...but if you are running tight this proves you vould fail the heads easily.

But I have a herd of extremes as I seem to have either 5 star or 1 star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Today is the last day for the Carbon Navigator. Just realised my accountant has all my paperwork so I can't do it. Up the walls all week with silage.
    What are the penalaties for a late one?

(Carbon navigator - what a load of ****e!!!!!!!!!!!)

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Today is the last day for the Carbon Navigator. Just realised my accountant has all my paperwork so I can't do it. Up the walls all week with silage.

Will it have changed much from last year? That can be viewed online on the icbf app.

I cant remember exactly but i think the penalty for it being late is fairly severe, hopefully im wrong about. Maybe the deadline will be extended.
    As Grueller says you can log onto icbf.com and do it there, a two minute job. You can look back at last years and go from there.
    It's all a load of dung anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement