Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef Data Genomics Programme (2015-2020)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Dad & I managed ours grand. We got two dopey idiots done before we even meant to begin, had them penned at the front of the crush and one after the other they managed to get their heads locked in the gate backwards :rolleyes:
    I could do the weanlings myself locking them and grabbing their noses. Only the cows needed halters to keep them sorta managable but the weans roared blue murder.

Had more trouble doing two tags in weanlings with ripped ears yesterday! The pin was bent in the blue taggers and I didn't know so it would pierce their ears but not connect the tag itself. Had to fix the taggers back onto the half tag in the animals ear iykwim. On both calves! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Will someone show me how to tie a rope halter on a cows head some day . I still can't do it and it would be handy .
    Is the nose tongs with a rope on the end as good as a halter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭angusangus

Bullocks wrote: »
    Will someone show me how to tie a rope halter on a cows head some day . I still can't do it and it would be handy .

Buy a rope halter online for about 7 ē I think very very handy

I've found it can drive some animals even dafter.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Adjustable-Rope-Halter is an easy way to make a cheap halter that can be left hanging beside the crush. Even I managed to make it!
    If I'm stuck I just tie a loop for round the nose, then double loop it around the nose loop once I bring it behind the ears

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

No a halter is better for keeping an animal's head still. The nose thongs is good for holding an animal's head up high for drenching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Have got the herd report with star ratings etc,well over a month ago,no sign of genomic tags to come yet,have most people got theirs?

angusangus wrote: »
    Buy a rope halter online for about 7 ē I think very very handy

A ready made one ? Where online ?

Kovu wrote: »
    I've found it can drive some animals even dafter.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Adjustable-Rope-Halter is an easy way to make a cheap halter that can be left hanging beside the crush. Even I managed to make it!
    If I'm stuck I just tie a loop for round the nose, then double loop it around the nose loop once I bring it behind the ears

Thanks Kovu , I don't think I'll manage even with those instructions :o I'm terrible with ropes

Thanks Kovu , I don't think I'll manage even with those instructions :o I'm terrible with ropes

:D No comment!

You can get them premade alright- http://www.stockhealth.ie/equipment/halter-leads/cattle-halter-pure-cotton or http://pedigreecattle.ie/multi-filament-polypropylene-mf-halters
    Still need to tie it off if you're using it to train/pull an animal or they'll hang themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A rope halter is fierce handy thing for something so simple. Bit of a knack to getting on their head too. Kinda throw the big loop over the head and pull it so the smaller loop tightens over the snout. Use a stick then to take it off. No going near the pucking head then.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Get a length of rope, blue nylon stuff will do.
    Tie a knot (1) tight at one end - this forms the stop for the muzzle part of the halter.
    Guess the muzzle circumference and tie a simple loop (2) (don't pull it tight) half way along the length. Next form the rest of the muzzle section by tying another knot (3) just inside knot (1) (don't pull it tight yet). You should now have a ring with a loop (2) on one side and two knots (1 & 3) on the other with the length of rope coming from the same side as the two knots. This loop forms the muzzle section. If you think that it is going to be too small or large, open knot (3) resize and adjust loop (2) to match so that it is approximately at the halfway point.
    Finally take the remaining length of rope and thread it through the open part of loop (2). This forms the part that fits over the animals ears. Pull knot (3) tight and loop (2) tight'ish - enough to stop the rope from sliding through it freely.
    Hope the above makes sense. My Grandfather taught me how to make them when I was a child and I used to practice on baler twine - the original baler twine not the nylon stuff you get today.

Alternatively you could order one http://farmdirect.ie/products/head-collars
    They do a great range of doses, mineral licks, boluses, and basically anything you need for livestock. We buy our doses, boluses etc from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Not read through this thread even though in the scheme! Saw lad asked about tags; I got mine a month ago and sent off about the same length. Got letter back saying satisfied that requiremnt of the scheme about 2 weeks ago.

Base you recommenf that site always go the local co-ops did you find it cheaper or just handier?

barnaman wrote: »
    Not read through this thread even though in the scheme! Saw lad asked about tags; I got mine a month ago and sent off about the same length. Got letter back saying satisfied that requiremnt of the scheme about 2 weeks ago.

Base you recommenf that site always go the local co-ops did you find it cheaper or just handier?
    Knowledge and experience - simple :)
    They know the score and what inputs it takes to cover the margins.
    They are prepared to negotiate on price and IMO have a minefield of technical background/information that our Vet has agreed with.
    Our local Co-Op store could not come near the price for calve/weanling bolus within .75c per bolus on quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Just realised the samples had to be back 28 days after receiving tags. Have tags about 2 months what's the story now?Was planning on tagging them on Saturday cos we just brought them all on last Saturday. Don't tell me I face penalties :(

You definitley face penalties . Llook at the booklet that came with the scheme, ro see how much. Take look page 15

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/beefdataprogrammebdp/2015/BDGP050515.pdf

barnaman wrote: »
    You definitley face penalties . Llook at the booklet that came with the scheme, ro see how much. Take look page 15

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/beefdataprogrammebdp/2015/BDGP050515.pdf

Thanks barnaman but just studied that and can't see for sure where penalties apply for late samples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

Just realised the samples had to be back 28 days after receiving tags. Have tags about 2 months what's the story now?Was planning on tagging them on Saturday cos we just brought them all on last Saturday. Don't tell me I face penalties :(
    wouldnt worry about it, when i inquired where my tags were I was told they would come eventually, chap from icbf told it didnt matter a damn how long it took you to send them back but i might just mean your would be paid later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Thanks barnaman but just studied that and can't see for sure where penalties apply for late samples!

I reckon if you tag them on Saturday and send them off you'll be grand.
    Have you filled in the forms for calf docility/quality etc or done it on icbf or agfood?

• Advertisement

Just be careful I lost out on payment under last year's scheme as a BVD calf was killed about a week late. Failure to comply with terms of scheme. Had to appeal with supporting evidence that was delay in sending retest results to oversight by vet who confirmed. Dept Ag make the decisons I assume not ICBF no idea with new scheme who does what in sending data if amimal tagged in time etc.

tanko wrote: »
    I reckon if you tag them on Saturday and send them off you'll be grand.
    Have you filled in the forms for calf docility/quality etc or done it on icbf or agfood?

Yeh thats all done tanko. jasus i hope ur right last thing i want to do is throw money away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Yeh thats all done tanko. jasus i hope ur right last thing i want to do is throw money away!!
    I'd say they might not be to harsh this year so do them as soon as you can. You'd hope they don't start imposing penalties until it's up and running properly and everyone is up to speed.

I sent mine off a few weeks ago but heard nothing so I rang the lab. They received all the tag samples but didn't get the one hair sample I had to do and it was sent off before the tags. Have to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rockyred

what happens when you have a Calf down as having AI Limousin Sire but could possibly be neighbours Limousin Bull??

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

rockyred wrote:
    what happens when you have a Calf down as having AI Limousin Sire but could possibly be neighbours Limousin Bull??

If u can live with guilt I'd say thats all that will happen!!!!!, :-) :-) :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭angusangus

mikeoh wrote: »
    rockyred wrote:

If u can live with guilt I'd say thats all that will happen!!!!!, :-) :-) :-)
    Add your reply here.
    rockyred wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    What happens when you buy a bull that you believed was ai and the genomic test reviels this is not the case? Could be some interesting results

• Advertisement

rockyred wrote: »
    Get your vet to pluck out some hairs from the calf and get them DNA tested. DNA testing costs have dramatically reduced over the years,

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Base price wrote: »
    Get your vet to pluck out some hairs from the calf and get them DNA tested. DNA testing costs have dramatically reduced over the years,

E22 per sample weatherbys out of total payment of bdgp .

they accepted 2015 as a reference year for me so I had 2 no. additional samples to complete this week.. hair out of the end of the tail is so handy,,.. up the side of the mountain in the dark with headlight I got the last one as they will stand up to be scratched!

sonnybill wrote: »
    E22 per sample weatherbys out of total payment of bdgp .

they accepted 2015 as a reference year for me so I had 2 no. additional samples to complete this week.. hair out of the end of the tail is so handy,,.. up the side of the mountain in the dark with headlight I got the last one as they will stand up to be scratched!
    I used to pay IR£75 for a DNA sample from Weatherbys irrespective as to whether it was a bovine or equus.
    A good stockman is worth their weight in gold and fair play to you for having your cattle so manageable.

Base price wrote: »
    I used to pay IR£75 for a DNA sample from Weatherbys irrespective as to whether it was a bovine or equus.
    A good stockman is worth their weight in gold and fair play to you for having your cattle so manageable.

that is some difference in price alright! yeah beats marching them all down from there and through the crush to throw a white tag into her.. I find even the wildest of heifers seem to calm down when they heavily pregnant that first winter and realise that you are not a threat to them and when they hear you coming once a day that you are there to feed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

That's it. it you only come near them to hassle them they aren't going to be too happy to see you. I have a lame ZGH bull weanling in the shed and i was able to do some paring as he lay down. :D

• Advertisement

Anyone get paid for this scheme yet.

They giving me 2015 as reference year so i think I read I have to wait til feb

It's in there today. Samples appear as an Overpayment and I nearly lost my life at first glance !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

It's in there today. Samples appear as an Overpayment and I nearly lost my life at first glance !

Do you mind me asking where you see its in. The bank account or icbf.com

It's on financial summary tab of Agfood .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

It's on financial summary tab of Agfood .

Says we're paid on agfood aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

do you mind me asking whats the breakdown per calf??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

limo_100 wrote: »
    do you mind me asking whats the breakdown per calf??

there were 2 overpayment lines.. average 70E for me

Bellview wrote: »
    there were 2 overpayment lines.. average 70E for me

is that before or after the geno samples were paid for

E79.66 per calf after samples I got for 12 but id say it decreases as you go higher in numbers

after geno type paid

• Advertisement

Bellview wrote: »
    after geno type paid

I got my reference year chanced so I wont be getting anything for a while i'd say.

I got my reference year chanced so I wont be getting anything for a while i'd say.

not necessarily limo, are you spring or autumn calving? if on that last letter you received stating that they will accept 2015 as your reference year they asked at the bottom have all cows calved for 2015?! if you ticked box saying they all calved then you should be paid as I was.. if you had cows calving in Oct/Nov/Dec they may have to wait til year is out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Do you calve in the Autumn?

Nothing up on agfood for me so I presume its because I have 15 autumn calvers and the calves are too young to record any info for them. At least I hope it is because all the spring ones are done and genotyping is up on icbf as being in the lab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

croot wrote: »
    Do you calve in the Autumn?

Nothing up on agfood for me so I presume its because I have 15 autumn calvers and the calves are too young to record any info for them. At least I hope it is because all the spring ones are done and genotyping is up on icbf as being in the lab.

Some of mine calved in autumn but I've been paid. Anyone know what "Scheme Completion Reduction" is about? They took 80e off me for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

skoger wrote: »
    Some of mine calved in autumn but I've been paid. Anyone know what "Scheme Completion Reduction" is about? They took 80e off me for that.

Just had a thought.. maybe they're holding back that money until I complete the surveys on the autumn calves?

skoger wrote: »

same here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

I have all samples and surveys completed over 2 months and nothing on agfood yet

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

High bike wrote:
    I have all samples and surveys completed over 2 months and nothing on agfood yet

Same as that here, very interested to see how much I get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Got paid today, what I expected except for €85 deducted for "scheme completion reduction". Anyone know what this is about?

Charge of €22 per animal for genotyping. After deductions payment works out at €69.29 per no. Of cows in reference year.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Got paid today, what I expected except for €85 deducted for "scheme completion reduction". Anyone know what this is about?

Charge of €22 per animal for genotyping. After deductions payment works out at €69.29 per no. Of cows in reference year.

Trying to figure that out myself, got almost €70 taken off us for it.

Advertisement