Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef Data Genomics Programme (2015-2020)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Bellview wrote: »
    In fairness the icbf letter calls out who can attend on your behalf. Family can go but my understanding is that person cannot have a herd number... as I mentioned earlier there are farm managers also attending...
    Not being clever I hope but those letters issue from Teagasc whose job it is to organise the meetings for the Department and the ICBF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Did course today and actually learned stuff!
    Got the sheet with cattle stars ratings etc as well.
    What with that and the cheque in the back pocket on way out the door I'm happy. I've often spent harder days with less to show:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Not being clever I hope but those letters issue from Teagasc whose job it is to organise the meetings for the Department and the ICBF

As I said before the wife has done course.. so as you can imagine the letter is in the bin.. I thought the icbf issued the letter bu if I'm wrong I'm wrong. My point though is there are folks that can attend on your behalf.. and the cheque will alive in the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

manjou wrote: »
    The bull search on icbf website has been changed to animal search so if you type i heifers tag its eurostars come up .Havent tried it yet but assume you can check females on it now.
    Thanks. I will let our neighbour know and show him how to view the information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

50HX wrote: »
    will only show the indexes if the herd is in herdplus

Pity as it'd be handy in the mart viewing lots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Does anyone know how long you have to keep heifers after the tissue samples are returned, can you sell straight away

If anyone has the answer I’d appreciate it can’t find it in the t&c’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »
    If anyone has the answer I’d appreciate it can’t find it in the t&c’s

I’m pretty sure that you can sell them once they’re tagged and the sample sent away.

tanko wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure that you can sell them once they’re tagged and the sample sent away.
    Thanks tank that’s my reading of it too your ok so long as you tag em cant see it written anywhere that u have to keep

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

High bike wrote: »
    Thanks tank that’s my reading of it too your ok so long as you tag em cant see it written anywhere that u have to keep

I think that's the case also.

Still waiting for the tags though as I want to sell heifers.

Wonder what's the story though if they are tagged and sold shortly after and the sample is empty ?? Penalty ??

• Advertisement

Alibaba wrote: »

Wonder what's the story though if they are tagged and sold shortly after and the sample is empty ?? Penalty ??
    unfortunately I’d say ur right

Alibaba wrote: »

If you genotype your animals in good faith, send off the sample to the laboratory and it comes back empty I don't see how you can be penalised.

You need to talk to the ICBF about a scenario like this, to be honest.

tanko wrote: »
    That's correct. Just don't leave yourself short of female replacements in October though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm a godawful gobshíte. Tagged the wrong animal in the crush for beef genomics scheme. Noticed just as i stepped off the bar over her. Fcuking typical!
    Pulled a chunk out of the correct tail though, will i just ring them tomorrow morning & ask if i can send a hair sample instead?
    Rang them at 4.50ish & got ''all our operators are busy right now...stay on the line'' & on the dot of 5pm it switched over to an automated 'office closed'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

I'm a godawful gobshíte. Tagged the wrong animal in the crush for beef genomics scheme. Noticed just as i stepped off the bar over her. Fcuking typical!
    Pulled a chunk out of the correct tail though, will i just ring them tomorrow morning & ask if i can send a hair sample instead?
    Rang them at 4.50ish & got ''all our operators are busy right now...stay on the line'' & on the dot of 5pm it switched over to an automated 'office closed'.
    ya i did it last year, told them i needed hair kit for that animal and they sent it out , i took off wrong tag

annubis wrote: »
    ya i did it last year, told them i needed hair kit for that animal and they sent it out , i took off wrong tag

Good stuff, I'll ring them in the morning. The one with the wrong tag is being kept for breeding so not too worried about it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

How long after sending in the tags do we nomally get the results? sent tags in post on Monday just gone...thought the results would beup by now but no sign yet. Can't remember how long it took last year.

Does it not take months if i remember right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

August proof run at the earliest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

i had them up the shoot this am de horning them, it was only when i went into work i remembered i was supposed to tag them too FFS

August proof run at the earliest

Sorry, didn't make myself clear...not the results I am looking for but you know how ICBF updates with the % complete for the different BDGP requirements...should that show as 100% once the samples have been received?

Oh! Sorry! I'm not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My tags only came yesterday morning.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

My tags only came yesterday morning.

Did you defer it?

Did you defer it?

Ya, and a day after the deadline. So I was one if the last to get them I'd say.

• Advertisement

Ya, and a day after the deadline. So I was one if the last to get them I'd say.

I only got mine last week and i didnt defer it.
    The incompetance of that ICBF shower is something else.

Parishlad wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't make myself clear...not the results I am looking for but you know how ICBF updates with the % complete for the different BDGP requirements...should that show as 100% once the samples have been received?

Well ICBF updated today to confirm that the Genotyping requirement was at 100% so at least I know they received all the samples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Got a letter yesterday stating the only calf genotype ( the rest were cows and heifers) was a male and not a female, rang the number this morning and was basically told I was blind and stupid that the heifer is a male or I tagged the wrong animal and then sent me to a lad in icbf who told me the same thing and after getting him to believe me he will send me a new sample.
    Has come across this before.

Got a letter yesterday stating the only calf genotype ( the rest were cows and heifers) was a male and not a female, rang the number this morning and was basically told I was blind and stupid that the heifer is a male or I tagged the wrong animal and then sent me to a lad in icbf who told me the same thing and after getting him to believe me he will send me a new sample.
    Has come across this before.

What number did ya dial firstly btw?

The number that was on the letter, the second person kept blaming farmers and wouldn’t accept that the tag could be faulty like the BVD tags.

• Advertisement

The number that was on the letter, the second person kept blaming farmers and wouldn’t accept that the tag could be faulty like the BVD tags.

What were the 2 numbers you dialed though?

What were the 2 numbers you dialed though?

023 8832883 was the number quote on the letter and then dial 2 when connected to icbf Brandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Seanhorse91

I've a reference number of 25 for the scheme. But I've a few cows to offload before they calf in the autumn. If I sell them with calves at foot before the calves reach 5 months old will I be punished? Even if I still keep 25 cows and calves? I tried ringing ICBF but nobody answers and it just goes to voicemail.

I've a reference number of 25 for the scheme. But I've a few cows to offload before they calf in the autumn. If I sell them with calves at foot before the calves reach 5 months old will I be punished? Even if I still keep 25 cows and calves? I tried ringing ICBF but nobody answers and it just goes to voicemail.
    As far as I know yes you have to keep all calves to 5 mts regardless of numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Do what you have to do. I'm off loading a few culls too. I'm not holding onto dead wood for the sake of a few bob.

When is next bull proof being released

Supposed to be Wednesday 16th May

I see on ICBF.com that they got my Genomic tags. The genotyping Bar Graph is now at 100%. It must be over 10 days since I sent them in. I rang about them on Monday and they told me it would be a few days before they would get to process them on the system, as having arrived.
    Happy out. I was beginning to think I would be tagging them all again.

I see on ICBF.com that they got my Genomic tags. The genotyping Bar Graph is now at 100%. It must be over 10 days since I sent them in. I rang about them on Monday and they told me it would be a few days before they would get to process them on the system, as having arrived.
    Happy out. I was beginning to think I would be tagging them all again.

I was the same here Patsy...had them sent in well over a week before the graph showed at 100%. Like yourself I thought they were lost inthe post or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

just slow movers in there

• Advertisement

Anyone know the answer to these questions before I try and ask ICBF.

- My genomics tags for this year have been received by ICBF, but missed the May 2018 proof publications. Will I have to wait till the next release date before they update the proofs with the genomic info?

- I bought a PB heifer recently and want to get her genomic tested. How much to do this and will it have to be by hair sample or will they send out a tag.

Anyone know the answer to these questions before I try and ask ICBF.

- My genomics tags for this year have been received by ICBF, but missed the May 2018 proof publications. Will I have to wait till the next release date before they update the proofs with the genomic info?

- I bought a PB heifer recently and want to get her genomic tested. How much to do this and will it have to be by hair sample or will they send out a tag.
    First question. Yes.
    Second. €30. Can be either iirc

First question is yes but so was everybody else. The cut off date for receiving data for that proof run was the end of March.

Patting themselves on the back for doing the job they're supposed to be doing :rolleyes:
    No mention of all the other Gene Ireland bulls sank into obscurity.

e6r007Kl.png?1

Patting themselves on the back for doing the job they're supposed to be doing :rolleyes:
    No mention of all the other Gene Ireland bulls sank into obscurity.

e6r007Kl.png?1

I dont doubt that he would have been bought otherwise by an ai company

No mention that ZAG only has 2 stars for carcass weight and a skeletal percentile of 12%. A good bull for heifers but cows would want plenty of size in them.

I dont doubt that he would have been bought otherwise by an ai company

You do know the link between Roundhill, Castleview and NCBC?

No?

Patsy assume you know answer...one is in the farmers journal this week and the other are sisters...

• Advertisement

No?

Rose Goulding, Beef Programme Manager with NCBC and Doreen Corridan of the Roundhill limousin herd are sisters.

Advertisement