Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insert or update table

Options
  • 21-08-2015 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I have a list of 100k ids in a file. I want to iterate through these ids, for each id, check is the id in a table in an Oracle database.

If it is, updated its updated_date flag. If not, add a new record (id, updated_date).

I have researched and found 'merge'. The downside is, merge requires the ids to be in a table. I am only allowed to create a temporary table if necessary.

Can anyne point me in the right direction? It must be a script that I can run on my database, not in code.

merge into MyTable x
    using ('111', '222', all my ids) b
    on (x.id = b.id)
    when not matched then insert (id, updated_date) values (b.id, sysdate)
    when matched then update set x.updated_date = sysdate

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

So if the id is in a table then update the date if it's not insert the id & date.
    why not just drop the table (or delete all the records which ever suits) and then insert ALL the ids & current date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

What type of file is it? Can you import it into a database? Alternatively, you could just open the file in your db script and update the records. Not an Oracle person myself but I have done this in SQL Server before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Iterating and SQL? Does not compute!!

Load the IDs, update the table where the table ID is in the list, insert where the table ID is not in the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Depending on the Oracle version you could possibly treat the file of IDs as an external table. That can then be used directly in the merge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

My requirements changed and I no longer require this feature. Thanks for the answers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement