Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy house commuting distance to Galway

Options
  • 21-08-2015 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I know there are several threads on this already but would really appreciate some updated advice. My husband has gotten a job in east Galway, Parkmore ind est and we are looking to move somewhere and buy a house within commuting distance (30 mins max).
    We originally were looking in the Oranmore area but house prices seem to be high for what we want (countryside, but close enough to town, 5km-ish). But I am so attracted to that area, esp with the Educate Together in Kilcolgan for our son who will be starting school next Sep (2016). We also considered Claregalway with the school there.

I don't know anyone in the area so I would be really interested in a nice community where I can meet people and make friends. I would also like to rekindle my interest in tennis.

We've now stretched our search to Tuam, a town I originally dismissed as I had heard negative things about it. But we were pleasantly surprised on a recon mission there last weekend. It seemed nice, had lots of facilities and a new Educate Together opening soon.

So whats the general opinion about Tuam or should I hold out for something to come up around Oranmore/Clarinbridge (I'm also aware of the traffic problems around Claregalway and coming into Clarinbridge in the evenings)?
    Or should we consider somewhere else like Athenry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Gort is a town you should consider.

I moved there from Cork a few years back and the commute to Galway every day is fairly handy.

House prices are very reasonable out this way at the moment also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I moved to Loughrea 5 years ago and travel further into the city than Parkmore everyday. There is also a tennis club down by the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

Also look at Athenry, Craughwell and Claregalway and Carnmore. The other side of the city should be considered too (I dont think it's a terrible commute from Moycullen to Parkmore). Some areas will be easier to find a rental, others a house. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

If it was me I would aim for Loughrea or Athenry.
    Gort has cheap houses but it is more than 30mins drive away.
    Claregalway is nice but traffic can be a nightmare.
    Oranmore is expensive and no many homes go up for sale there because it is such a nice place to live as is Moycullen.
    Personally, I would avoid Tuam. Hate the place. You must wonder why so many houses are for sale there? Its because no one wants to live there IMO! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Nothing wrong with Tuam. Living here 10 years. Loads of facilities and Shops. Motorway due in early 2017

Loads of jobs also

But again that's my PERSONAL opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Grogsy

I moved between Craughwell and Loughrea over a year ago, and love it. I also work in Parkmore, and the commute takes about 30 mins with traffic. So even quicker if travelling outside of business hours. I don't use the M6 as I'm not in Loughrea itself, but if living near it, that is probably even quicker.
    As someone else said, there are tennis courts in Loughrea by the great lake & playground. It's quite a nice town.
    There's not much to Craughwell village, but it certainly has a community spirit.
    Athenry is also a nice small town. I think Apple are going there too, so if buying, get in there now before prices start to rise. You can also use the M6 there to get to Galway.
    In case you're not aware, the M6 has 2 exits near Parkmore.
    Gort, while nice, is too far and you'd get caught in a lot of heavy traffic on the N18. Though maybe that won't be an issue once the M18 is finished from Galway to Gort.

Grogsy wrote: »
    I think Apple are going there too, so if buying, get in there now before prices start to rise.

Funniest thing I've read in ages.

To answer the Op, any of the commuter towns will be a good choice, but be smart, try for one with good connectivity, services, amenities and facilities.

Take your time, do a lot of research, a lot.

Once the motorway is done, and it's bypassed, Claregalway will be prime for a lot of growth, especially as probably the largest secondary school in the county is planned for there.

Lastly, Tuam has a crap rep for a reason,but don't take my word for it, as I said, research.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Once the motorway is complete the traffic through Kilcolgan / Clarinbridge will be much improved. Great locations IMO. Only couple of commuter towns that weren't over developed during boom. Nice quite country villages.

Oranmore has the new train station and is handy commute to city hence high prices.

Think long term, don't make a decision based on traffic given the new motorway will drastically impact Kilcolgan, Clarinbridge & Claregalway (in a positive way).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pollyhops

Thanks to everyone for their responses.
    Its a tough call to make when you've never lived in any of the towns but only visited for a day. We're definitely taking the new road into account.

Thanks again

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Why don't you rent in a place first, if you like then buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 pollyhops

Why don't you rent in a place first, if you like then buy.

Yes will definitely consider this. I know that the pain of moving now and again in a year is it worth against buying in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

We originally moved to Galway 5 years ago. We initially rented and finally bought last year (2015). We spent nearly every evening and weekends visiting towns and villages and for 2 years and finally settled on Monivea. We rented in Corofin (between Tuam and Claregalway) for 4 years. We decided not to buy there because we felt it really lacked a strong community spirit (something that's very important to us) unless you were avid GAA supporters.

We chose Monivea because of its strong community feel, amenities (Coillte) woodlands that are free to walk in, great playground, rugby, Gaelic, hurling and soccer teams, boxing, karate, hiphop dance, irish dancing, set dancing, music, equestrian centre just a few miles up the road, swimming pool and gym in Athenry (5 miles away) . Also Monivea is getting a new primary school next year.

We currently have 70 meg broadband (eircom). There is a daily bus from the village to town and back again in the evenings. Everyone has been very welcoming and friendly (don't feel like blow ins at all!) and one of the pubs even serves Sunday lunch! Also Monivea has had no problems with flooding and the drive into town is about 20 mins but avoid going via Athenry in the mornings as its completely clogged up with school traffic.

Advertisement