Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux in the Office

Options
  • 21-08-2015 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Working as a sysadmin, looking to swapover to a linux device as my main day-to-day

Just looking for recommendations on distro, remote desktop software & one query is whether you can use skype for business on Linux - not sure it can be configured with pidgin. Any other helpful softwares would be appreciated but for now I'm able to handle most issues via browser. RDP is a must though.

I'm using Linux Kali as it stands - was going to move to Mint or ArchLinux but wasn't able to install via unetbootin last night so ploughing on with Kali for the moment until I get some recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I can't comment on the software you need but Rufus is so much nicer for installing Linux from a USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Never used Skype for Business but this might be of interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNeWV5XAqeM

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Fedora and CentOS are the distributions most related to Red Hat, the corporate distro of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thanks all,

Running Rufus as I type to install OpenSuse on Gnome

Ran suse beofre on a desktop & liked it - I think I'll look to mess around with a few - not a huge fan of CentOS & only dabbled briefly with fedora but liked it I must say.

Will absolutely check out the skype for business for linux Johnboy, thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hi all,

Working as a sysadmin, looking to swapover to a linux device as my main day-to-day

Just looking for recommendations on distro, remote desktop software & one query is whether you can use skype for business on Linux - not sure it can be configured with pidgin. Any other helpful softwares would be appreciated but for now I'm able to handle most issues via browser. RDP is a must though.

I'm using Linux Kali as it stands - was going to move to Mint or ArchLinux but wasn't able to install via unetbootin last night so ploughing on with Kali for the moment until I get some recommendations.

I have been using Linux as my work Operating System for almost 6 years.

I'd recommend CentOS as it is very stable and has an excellent community behind it. I use Fedora on my laptop which is the cutting edge equivalent, but it involves lots of upgrading.

Skype has a native linux client, there is no need to configure pidgin to do anything.

I ude the K Desktop Environment(KDE) and it comes with KRDP which I find fast, stable and reliable.

Now, this will sound a little hypocritical of me, considering I am sat here in a Kali Linux T-shirt. In my defence I bought it from Hackers For Charity, so half of what I paid went to help the school in Africa, and it is a cool looking shirt, but, I'm not really a fan of Kali. I don't think it gets QA'ed as well as other distros. A few times I went to use it for something and had issues, and I found the issues were related to the underlying distribution not the software I wanted to use. Cue lots of lost time.

Don't get me wrong, that happens on many Distros. There was war the day a release candidate of Fedora wouldn't boot on ThinkPads, but it seems every time I've gone to use it I had problems and the advice i was given on the forums was to download a different version and install again.

Your work machine needs to be stable and reliable, so I would advise going with one of the more common distros. Here is the Top 10 list

Let us know if you need any help!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I would recommend Fedora also. As for Skype http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Looking at Fedora & CentOS latest offerings - Fedora seems quite nice & gave little trouble installing, unlike CentOS so will probably tip away with that for a while.

On my Skype question - I'm not talking about Skype - rather, Skype for Business i.e. Lync the IM client

Perhaps I can sign into my work account using Skype but I doubt that as it's part of an Office365 solution

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just looking for recommendations on distro, remote desktop software & one query is whether you can use skype for business on Linux

Been using Linux day to day in the office for over 10 years now.

- I'd suggest you use whatever distro you're comfortiable with.
    - For remote desktoping to your desktop (from home for example) I'd recommend NX (nomachine.com). This works over SSH for bonus points. :)
    - For remote desktop to other machines there is rdesktop for connecting to windows boxes. Works a treat.
    - Skype works perfectly. Don't bother with the pidgin implementation as it requires skype to be installed anyway (iirc). (edit: I don't understand the difference between skype and skype for business, can you elaborate?)

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Looking at Fedora & CentOS latest offerings - Fedora seems quite nice & gave little trouble installing, unlike CentOS so will probably tip away with that for a while.

On my Skype question - I'm not talking about Skype - rather, Skype for Business i.e. Lync the IM client

Perhaps I can sign into my work account using Skype but I doubt that as it's part of an Office365 solution

This might be of use

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

syklops wrote: »
    Now, this will sound a little hypocritical of me, considering I am sat here in a Kali Linux T-shirt. In my defence I bought it from Hackers For Charity, so half of what I paid went to help the school in Africa, and it is a cool looking shirt, but, I'm not really a fan of Kali. I don't think it gets QA'ed as well as other distros. A few times I went to use it for something and had issues, and I found the issues were related to the underlying distribution not the software I wanted to use. Cue lots of lost time.

A big plus 1 on this. Pain in the arse I had with it when attempting to do anything other than pentesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

syklops wrote: »

This
    Important distinction here: If you’re running Lync Server 2010, you will need Silverlight to run the Lync Web App. Silverlight is Windows-only. But there is a Linux version of Silverlight, called Moonlight.
    makes me wonder if this is in any way viable.
    Moonlight has not been developed for some time ... years IIRC.

Advertisement